Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Alternative to SM/TE 610 OEM clutch plates?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Alternative to SM/TE 610 OEM clutch plates?
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:05:11 am »
So as part of my rebuild I need new clutch plates.

The Husky has 7 steel plates which costs R37 each and 8 drive plates which costs R204 each.

Does any one know which other bikes uses the same plates? If I get lucky and there is a match with another dirt bike (Honda, Yamaha, etc) I might be able to buy one of those pre-packaged clutch plate kits from a local distributor such as EMD. 

Offline M3X3Z3

Re: Alternative to SM/TE 610 OEM clutch plates?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:34:30 am »
Husqvarna tended to source as many of their components from European suppliers as possible.
So your source of compatible parts will probably lie more with the Euro bikes than with the Jap bikes.

I have noticed a lot of similarity between KTM and Husky parts, so you may want to start there.
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 10:44:26 am »
Husqvarna tended to source as many of their components from European suppliers as possible.
So your source of compatible parts will probably lie more with the Euro bikes than with the Jap bikes.

I have noticed a lot of similarity between KTM and Husky parts, so you may want to start there.

Cool, thanks :thumleft:

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 01:32:42 pm »
crf Honda 450 X work --Scrat fitted them on his bike -- ;)
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 04:58:09 pm »
crf Honda 450 X work --Scrat fitted them on his bike -- ;)

Coolest, thanks :thumleft: I searched the interwebs high and low and no answer to the question could be found. Most people just give up and buy OEM it seems.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 10:56:19 am »
That OEM price is cheap - why look further as they probably come out the same factory anyway?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:07:47 pm »
That OEM price is cheap - why look further as they probably come out the same factory anyway?

Can get the CRF 450 X clutch plate set locally from EMD within 2 days at around R800. OEM is double that and will take longer to get here.

I mailed Dan, no response yet, but I have now made up my mind to do the clutch springs and washers - it is OK now, but it is not going to last much longer.

Offline Scrat

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:10 pm »
yeah you can use the CRF 450 x plates - i have a set in my bike and it has done 2x Amageza's now... no issue  :thumleft: :pot: :ricky:
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »
yeah you can use the CRF 450 x plates - i have a set in my bike and it has done 2x Amageza's now... no issue  :thumleft: :pot: :ricky:

Tell us how you found out. I searched high and low on the web - there were a number of posts, including on Cafe Husky of guys looking for alternatives to OEM, but no one could get an answer.

Offline Scrat

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57:41 am »

Tell us how you found out. I searched high and low on the web - there were a number of posts, including on Cafe Husky of guys looking for alternatives to OEM, but no one could get an answer.

Getting the OEM parts is a pain so i started looking for alternative parts... just need to search a bit deeper  :pot: :pot:

here is the link to Barnett Clutches for Husqvarna
http://www.barnettclutches.com/husqvarna.html

then did a search for the friction plates,,... and found this...
http://www.barnettclutches.com/search/default.aspx

and this ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnett-Clutch-Friction-Plate-For-Honda-Husqvarna-Kawasaki-Polaris-Suzuki-83-11-/191179804143?fits=Make%3AHusqvarna%7CModel%3ASM610&hash=item2c83344def&vxp=mtr

and then ordered the 2010 Honda CRF450X  from Cycil Penny Racing for R720 and replaced my OEM one.... and ... she works!!

so.. worth the try   :pot: :pot:
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 12:10:11 pm »
Ja just ordered a Barnett clutch kit for a KTM 200xcw - half the price even with our kak exchange rate and Kevlar fibre and steel plates.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 12:45:42 pm »

Getting the OEM parts is a pain so i started looking for alternative parts... just need to search a bit deeper  :pot: :pot:

here is the link to Barnett Clutches for Husqvarna
http://www.barnettclutches.com/husqvarna.html

then did a search for the friction plates,,... and found this...
http://www.barnettclutches.com/search/default.aspx

and this ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnett-Clutch-Friction-Plate-For-Honda-Husqvarna-Kawasaki-Polaris-Suzuki-83-11-/191179804143?fits=Make%3AHusqvarna%7CModel%3ASM610&hash=item2c83344def&vxp=mtr

and then ordered the 2010 Honda CRF450X  from Cycil Penny Racing for R720 and replaced my OEM one.... and ... she works!!

so.. worth the try   :pot: :pot:

Your Google skills far exceeds mine :biggrin:

Thanks for providing the links :thumleft:

I will use this as inspiration to try and find out if Hinson makes a clutch basket which fits the husky 610. Then I will be able to get rid of the dreaded notched basket fingers too that so many bikes suffer from over time.