Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikesquad - Unit Nostalgia. Training Process to follow.  (Read 95780 times)

Offline Whethefakawe

Not millennial. I was driving trolley busses back in the early 80's so am a toppie :thumleft:The old school Cruisers are going the same way as the XR and DR. I think the LR Defender is now stopping production as well. :eek7:

:biggrin: Sorry.....no insult intended mate  :laughing4:

So you can relate to my bias toward simple and reliable I assume ..........
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline Whethefakawe

Re: Bikesquad - New Pics after 29 yrs - from pg 10
« Reply #201 on: November 26, 2015, 02:08:08 am »
Nice pics Jeff.....is that you sitting in the door of the "tree church"? I have a hard time remembering what pl 13 okes looked like then...but pics jog my memory!

Was that "tree church" at Ogongo? I know there was something like this at Ombalantu, which was next to the tar road between Ogongo and Mahanene. Mahanene is 30 km or so east of Ruacana. Funny thing, despite spending lots of time in that area, we never went all the way to Ruacana.

Who is the big oke with the red hair? Wasn't that Bahnhoff? I recognise him in the group shot. Big boykie, he was....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:48:35 am by Whethefakawe »

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #202 on: November 26, 2015, 02:48:08 am »
A few more pics of the bike testing session, these were all at Riemvasmaak.

PLEASE DO NOT REPOST ANY OF THESE ON FACEBOOK!!

The field of contenders. Only one missing is the trials bike, but that was never really an option. L to R: DR 500, XT 550, quad, Honda, Montessa (it was a weird size...want to say 360cc 2-stroke) then two Krieks (one in shade) and two Honda's. Ron Wood leaning on the bakkie.

Spectators at the Riemvasmaak Races....Patrick Devy in the SAMIL cab, me standing in yellow, then Albers on a Kriek, and Pretorius on the DR500 at far right. The Montessa in front...interestingly, that's my helmet and kidney belt on the seat...I must have just gotten off it. Ron is standing at centre in white pants. The oke with the shorts and Post Office tan was Armscor's main man for the project, if  remember right. Oke left of Ron ...no idea. Armscor or such, I believe.

So ya think ya know from sand riding hey? That sandy river bed at Riemvasmaak had the gnarliest sand I have ever ridden in....lots of fun, but even the experts like Deglon and O'Keefe, national champions, fell on their arses a few times  :biggrin: Since the mission was to ride the bikes till they broke, we laid out a track in the riverbed and went round and round until the bike broke, or you did.....it was March and hot as hades....probably 40C....and that sand was hard work. Patrick may remember better than I can, but I seem to recall that all the bikes - including all 3 XR 500's, but EXCLUDING the Krieks - were F**KED by about Thursday of the week.....
This was Du Toit, the ex-platoon 12 oke who worked for O.H.E. As previously mentioned, it turns out he was much better than he had let on to PW's Plaas.....

Du Toit taking a dive off an XR....and Paddy O'Keefe stylin'. He was very critical of the Kriek....which pissed Ron off no end  :laughing4: but Paddy was right, the bike was very hard to ride. Compared to his usual mount, a Blue Stratos KX 125, especially  :imaposer:

MikeDeglon a second or so before HIS lunchtime sand-wich

The moment of the Suzuki DR 500's demise, which caused much amusement. Deglon kicked it hard, and this was the only result...the kickstart went all the way to the bottom, no compression. Suzuki....out. By this time the XT550, which was really a "street scrambler', had long since died....

Devy hard on the throttle on the Kriek

Ron Wood and I at his shop in Orange County, CA in 2008. He was very happy to see me again, a sentiment which was fully reciprocated, and we had a serious kakpraat session over lunch at the beach...he said that that trip was one of his fondest memories, and told me a lot I didn't know. More later.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:40:02 am by Whethefakawe »

Offline The Badger

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #203 on: November 26, 2015, 09:25:06 am »
Nice pics Jeff.....is that you sitting in the door of the "tree church"? I have a hard time remembering what pl 13 okes looked like then...but pics jog my memory!

Was that "tree church" at Ogongo? I know there was something like this at Ombalantu, which was next to the tar road between Ogongo and Mahanene. Mahanene is 30 km or so east of Ruacana. Funny thing, despite spending lots of time in that area, we never went all the way to Ruacana.

Who is the big oke with the red hair? Wasn't that Bahnhoff? I recognise him in the group shot. Big boykie, he was....

Thanks Yuri. Yes that is me sitting in the doorway of the church.  It might be Ombalantu.... all I remember was that it was near the entrance of the camp.
Yip the big redhead is Mike Baahnhof.....good backup in a fight as he was an animal. Lol I'm trying to locate a pic of him jumping over 19 bikes off an anthill..... crazy man. Hehe
Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #204 on: November 26, 2015, 10:10:38 am »
Jeff, thanks for starting this thread. And to all the others for their input and photo's

Despite not being in the bike squad, this stirs up memories. The sand and bush of the Northern Namibia, the heat and the Samil's. The glaring white sand roads, not a cloud in the sky. Toebies and steak braai's. Windhoek Export in a blue can 50c

Being a Tiffie, I also got to go around Gerotek as a demo in a Samil 100. Their Sine wave track was unlike any other I have since experienced and I have been around vehicle test tracks around the world.

Great story about Ron Wood's involvement with the Kriek. As a donnerse dienspligtige at the time, you are unaware of all the 'behind the scenes' developments that were happening. I was in from '82 - 84 so there was still a lot of research and money being spent.

Great memories, thanks.

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2015, 04:29:43 pm »
Pleasure James and Yuri and thanks for those pics of you guys testing the bikes Yuri. :thumleft:

Below is a pic of our stone slab outside our tent with old tyres and chains in Ruacana base.

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2015, 04:32:38 pm »
My mate Ben or Alfred E as we used to call him, with a look that says it all......lol

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #207 on: November 26, 2015, 04:40:43 pm »
Fantastic fred this!  A cousin of mine was in the bike squad. We were not very close, but I do remember him enthusing about the good/crazy times they had.  His name is Eric Albertyn and I guess he must have been there around '76 or '77.

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2015, 05:13:52 pm »
 :thumleft: Roxenz .

He was before my time but I'm sure Yuri might know. Is he family of Greg and Colin ?

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #209 on: November 26, 2015, 05:30:32 pm »

He was before my time but I'm sure Yuri might know. Is he family of Greg and Colin ?

No don't think he was family of Greg or Colin. His dad was a doctor (eventually became head of the medical school of Free State Uni). His older brother (Frans) did kortdiens - Frans was a Loot in the column that came within sight of Luanda in '73 ('74?).

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2015, 05:55:14 pm »

No don't think he was family of Greg or Colin. His dad was a doctor (eventually became head of the medical school of Free State Uni). His older brother (Frans) did kortdiens - Frans was a Loot in the column that came within sight of Luanda in '73 ('74?).

OK.  Let's check with Yuri.

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #211 on: November 26, 2015, 08:33:07 pm »
No...didn't know Eric. Bike squad (in fact all of Spes) was started mid-77 as far as I know...but the idea was hatched some time before that. I have contact, or know where to reach, a few okes from those days....one, Shane White, lives a few houses from my brother in Allens Nek....but despite a very enthusiastic first response, he ignored my requests for info afterwards....may have been a bullshitter, although he IS heavily into bikes....anybody know that name? He claimed he was Pl 1 and 2, but went to demo team....

Patrick knew people from about pl 4/5 on, and I from 6/7 on....I've had numerous tips and supposed contacts for the early days but none have produced any credible gen yet.

2SD, wasn't your brother a loot in the XL350 days? Isn't that him on the cover of S.O.F? Patrick has told me stories about the Winterbach bro's  :laughing4: Do you remember Dave Buck? He was at Potch for the first 6 months I was there, and lives in Florida near my dad...have sporadic contact with him too.

Jeff- I have Tony Foster, Aubrey Kavanaugh and Glenn Kieser's contact info...all in Joburg, shout if you want it. I spoke to all of them not long ago, and hung out with Glenn when I lived in SA 2009-2010.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2015, 09:16:35 pm »
My brother, Francois Winterbach was a troop in Bike Squad, either six months or a year later intake than me.

We actually spent some  together in SWA-SPES during  the last half of 1980. He was part of the first group that moved SWA-SPES to Otavi, this was in 1981.

The name Shane White rings a bell, and I think he could have been in Francois' intake.

I do nt remember the name Dave Buck, but there's a lot I don't remember.

I will sit down and post all the names I can remember frm my platoon/group.

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2015, 06:04:51 pm »
Cheers Yuri but I have their no's.

We are currently discussing a Bikesquad trip up to Owamboland for Aug/Sept 2016.
Steve and Dave in Aus are keen and will fly into Windhoek and hire bikes and myself and Ben have discussed trailering up to Windhoek. Aubrey and Tony are also keen. That's 6 all ready so I think we have ourselves an adventure of NOTE looming. :deal: :ricky: :3some:

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2015, 06:18:04 pm »

Being a Tiffie,

James, you guys were our big mates. We parked our bikes in in the lwt and spent a lot of time with you guys fiddling and fixing.

If we were in base while everyone had to do 'Klaarstaan' , this is when the most of the base aimed thier weapons out over the walls of the camp at sunset and sunrise as these were the most popular times to be attacked. We would have to be at our bikes ready to head out if there was any shit.  So we were the only ones in the lwt except for the Eland crews so we would sneak beers in and drink while everyone was on the Base's sand walls doing 'Klaarstaan'

The Tiffies in Ruacana had made a gym of sorts so we trained with them as well.
Good guys and good times. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:25:37 pm by The Badger »

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2015, 03:41:12 pm »
These were the power lines that we patrolled regularly and it was up to us and the Eland crews to make sure the bad guys did not blow up any pylons and keep the power running through to Windhoek.

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2015, 04:29:34 am »
Cheers Yuri but I have their no's.

We are currently discussing a Bikesquad trip up to Owamboland for Aug/Sept 2016.
Steve and Dave in Aus are keen and will fly into Windhoek and hire bikes and myself and Ben have discussed trailering up to Windhoek. Aubrey and Tony are also keen. That's 6 all ready so I think we have ourselves an adventure of NOTE looming. :deal: :ricky: :3some:
Yip, figured you  might :biggrin:

Hey....guess what....I have three 1982 Prolinks and one 1980 bigwheel XR in storage in Joburg.....one needs some airbox engineering, and the bigwheel could do with a valve job, other than that they are tip-top.....I'd planned such a trip, with those bikes, for 2012 as a 30-year anniversary ride....but work got in the way, couldn't get the time off.....Patrick had signed up, as did my mate John Alexander from Platoon 10 who's in Brisbane now, and a few others.....sure I could convince a small gang to go....maybe Mr. Banks from NZ too....what say you, Patrick?

Mebbe put our heads together for next year?

BTW.......My lawyer brother has a traffc-related legal business that will be able to get the XR's registered etc....and he can also organise at least two vehicles, as in bakkies with tow hitches.....he was in one of the Bushman Battallions so can relate....he did a trip to their base in Caprivi a few years ago and enjoyed it very much.

When you mentioned "Alfred E" I remembered that name.....couldn't put a face to it, but your pics do .....as I recall, Neumann attracted unwanted attention on occasion :imaposer:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:49:42 am by Whethefakawe »

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2015, 04:37:36 am »
My brother, Francois Winterbach was a troop in Bike Squad, either six months or a year later intake than me.

We actually spent some  together in SWA-SPES during  the last half of 1980. He was part of the first group that moved SWA-SPES to Otavi, this was in 1981.

The name Shane White rings a bell, and I think he could have been in Francois' intake.

I do nt remember the name Dave Buck, but there's a lot I don't remember.

I will sit down and post all the names I can remember frm my platoon/group.

Your boet was July 1979, sounds like....same as Patrick....yes they were together, he has told me.

Dave Buck was same intake, same platoon as Patrick and your bro, he left the platoon and went back to Potch cause his girlfriend somehow got pregnant :biggrin:

This Shane White oke was at Oshivello in 1977, he said.....how true that is, I'm not sure. No reason to doubt him really, but he did get very evasive when I asked some pointed questions....hmmmm

A namelist would be interesting  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:45:32 am by Whethefakawe »

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2015, 11:30:25 am »
Weereens, hierdie is 'n great thread, ek geniet die thread baie.  :thumleft:

Vir so bietjie humor in die thread,

As ek die storrie so bekyk hoe julle aan gegaan het kon die ding dalk beter vir julle gewerk het,  ok, net met 'n fris "bullbar"  voor.  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline The Badger

• Thank you SADF
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2015, 01:01:23 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :thumleft: Thanks Jakkals. That bike will be good for crossing trenches and deep mud but that's about it.
I'm sure I could wheelie it. :ricky:

The bikesquad trip  is tentatively for August 2016 Yuri