Leo goes Buffalo Hunting 08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Yes this past weekend was the annual Buffallo rally, which has moved from Mosselbay to Aliwal North. Distance wise this meant for us Gautengers to travel half the distance we had to cover for last years event, so all in all lotsa happiness all around.

Our group met at 07:00 on Friday morning. Excalibur left a bit earlier as he had some business to attend to in Bloem, so after he called us from Koppies to warn us that it was pissing down, we quickly scrambled to get our rain gear on.

Buff.jpg

Dereck who is very practical had decided that he was not going to pay lotsa moola for the original BMW topbox and this is his ingenious invention. Really nifty - The sign says - "Beware of the Dog"  ;D

Buff3.jpg

Our route took us past Brandfort as we stopped here on a previous trip and the barlady really impressed us. At the time she told us her name is "Bokspoortjie" and Dirt Dog was really impressed.

Buff4.jpg

This time round he was not going to miss any opportunities and made his intentions quite clear with his T-Shirt  ;D

Buff5.jpg

Meanwhile Excalibur had contacted the OC of 1 Special Service Battalion, a military unit where we both served, and arranged for us to pop in for a quick beer.

1SSB is a unit with a rich history, celebrating it's 75 anniversary this year. Here's the okes inside the pub having a drinkl

Buff6.jpg

I was quite amazed when the OC pulled me across and pointed to an picture of a , then, very young 2'nd Lietenant Lombard taken somewhere around 1983  8) That's me on the far left  ;)

Buff7.jpg

Group photo infront of one of the many museum exibitions

Buff8.jpg

1SSB trains soldiers on the Rooikat Armoured car an the OC has got a reasonably tame Rooikat in a cage infront of his office. What a magnificent animal  ;)

Buff9.jpg

Our next stop was at Van Zyl's biltong, a shop that makes the best biltong in Bloem to top up for the weekend

Buff10.jpg

Hereafter our route went past the Reddersburg hotel and on to the Schmidsfield hotel, which is really falling apart. I was shocked to see the state of buildings in these little towns. We passed through here frequently  during previous Buff's but have not been here since 2000. The buildings are hardly painted, the roads are in a state and generally not maintained. A site for sore eyes  ???

Buff11.jpg

Buff12.jpg

We arrived in Aliwal and made our way down to the Spa, or rather the place that was previously the Spa. That whole area was closed, hopefully being revamped. I was number 2812, so seems like a nice attendance. Tents were erected, and soon we were in the beer garden having lotsa fun.

We met the rest of the Pta BMW group and some serious kuiering was on the menu.

GSing was attending his first ever rally, and by his looks on Sat I recon it was a good one  ;D ;D. Here's him and Dirt Dog (sitting) on Friday night

Buff13.jpg

Excalibur and I bumped into an old army colleague, who looks nothing like the impecable and very neat officer that he was way back in 1984

Buff14.jpg

Miss Buff '08 paid us a courtecy visit and was of course immediately impressed by my charm  ;D ;D ;D

Buff15.jpg

Buff16.jpg

Of course GSing was also wanting to say Hi, but after all this attention she was totally overwhelmed and fled the scene.

Buff17.jpg

Sat morning we had breakfast at the Riverside lodge, and lotsa laughter was had. Beautifull place on the Orange river. Our waitress, a real boeremeisie  took our order and promptly asked me "How do you like your eggs? Excalibur replied on my behalf:"Lightly stroked with some baby powder", I haven't seen anyone blush like that in a long time  ;D ;D

Buff18.jpg

Buff19.jpg

After breakfast and a few cold ones we made it back to the campsite and to see what was happening in the main street. Lotsa people, but I generally avoid this as an accident can cause unwanted disaster

Buff20.jpg

This oke was doing burnouts with this 400J, on a Mary Biscuit rear which seemed to last forever. He also won the burnout competition. What a senseless excersice, and check his nice ATGATT.  :eek: :eek:

Buff21.jpg

Meanwhile Dirt Dog was taking some strain and decided to take a nap. He had some or other ailment, no not alcohol related and really was taking strain

Buff22.jpg

Back at the campsite the games was in full swing. This bike with the off centre wheels provided lotsa laughter.  This is one bike where "when in doubt gas it" does not work, as the faster you go, the harder you'll bliksem off. Apart from the lady in the beertent on friday night without any underwear, the most entertainment was provided by this bike - in my opinion  ;D ;D. Hell I never saw okes fall so hard but it was hillarious  ;D ;D I almost pissed myself

Buff23.jpg

We bumped into Mr & Mrs Michnus, and needless to say we parties ""n Hond uit 'n Bos". He and Excalibur  ;)

Buff24.jpg

Harry and wife

Buff25.jpg

Mrs Michnus, Mrs Harry and Harry  ;D

Buff26.jpg

Saw a thread somewhere the other day where one of the dogs asked how small the 3 second tent can fold away. When I saw this I had to take a pic to show how much space one would have to forfeit  :eek:

Buff27.jpg

Seeing that Dirt DOg had spend most of his weekend in his tent we graced him with two breasts which made thei rway onto his bike  ;D ;D

Buff28.jpg

Well that's all folks. Thanks to all who joined, was great. Michnus & Harry was great meeting up again. Will continue at the bash  ;)

Stef I hope you feel better soon  ;)