Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 690 Rally Raid Evo 2 tank problems  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Werner747

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
690 Rally Raid Evo 2 tank problems
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:57:33 am »
Hi,

I installed the Evo 2 Tanks earlier this year. I followed instructions meticulously, and did everything to the letter.
I have also experience the tank overflowing / bubbling / not feeding to rear tank problems, as some others have experienced.

On a previous trip to Botswana, after a very rough sand section, at the hottest time of the day, when I stopped, I noticed both front evo 2 tanks were full, and streaming fuel out of the overflow pipes on the caps. So much that I lost about a litre. The only explanation that I have for that occurrence, that makes sense to me, is that the pressure built up, from all the shaking, and heat, The main tanks vent must have been blocked somehow, and the pressure pushed fuel from the main tank to the front evo tanks.

The past weekend, I also had the problem where the front tanks would not drain to the main tank, so "I ran out of fuel" about ten times. I needed to stop, open evo tank cap, and blow into the tank, to get fuel to transfer.

I have read the threads on ADVrider relating to this.
I have checked that my vent tubes are clear and does not get pinched by the seat when weight is applied.
I have checked the tubes from the evo tanks to the main tank, and nothing gets pinched.

So, for extra piece of mind, I am now replacing the standard rubber tubing, with steel braided fuel line, and then also, I don't think the standard main tank vent, as in this picture:

provides enough venting, as it also has a one way valve in there. So plan is to drill out that vent, and remove one way valve.

But, I have been thinking about not connecting the evo tanks to the main tank, via the adapter at the bottom of the main tank, but, rather connect it to the main tank vent, once I have drilled it out.
That way, a vacuum is formed, and the front evo tanks gets sucked dry before any fuel is used from the main tank, that will suit me fine.
I have, on my previous X-challenge, run my fuel system that way, and had no problems in 10 000 + KM.

Any reason that anyone can provide, why this is a bad idea? ???

Any advice is welcome...

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: 690 Rally Raid Evo 2 tank problems
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:57 am »
The stubby vents fail quite easily.  A vacuum can likely cause the fuel pump to fail, as they are pretty dismal.  I run open tubes for vents.

Offline Werner747

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:09:23 am »
Thanks Bill.

Do you still have the standard fuel cap on the main tank? With its vent still in tact?

Offline Bullet

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • 1190 Adventure, 500 EXC-F (6 Day), 250 XC-W
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
We regularly used to have this. It is the crap little ball valve in the main tank vent. The ball sticks and the back tank builds pressure pushing all fuel into front tanks.

I drilled open the vent hole on the inside of the rear tank fitting, took out the ball, then put a small fuel filter in the vent pipe near the shock to stop shit from being sucked into the tank.

Seems to work ok.
B120, Cub200, KDX175, YZ125, XT250, XR600, XR400, GG EC250, XT600, XT660, 200XC-W, 990Adv, 250XC-W, 640Adv, 250XC-W, 800XC, 690Adv,Montessa250, 1190Adv, Beta300Evo2, NC700X, 1050Adv, 250XC-W, 500EXC-F

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:39:28 pm »
Nope, I have screw cap conversion.  The principle is not to have anything with a check valve anywhere, definitely not in a vertical orientation.

If it falls over, just be quick to pick up the bike, none of those fallen hero pics, otherwise it will empty the tanks.

Offline ktmpilot

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:19:44 am »
I had this same problem on the Amageza with my front Evo 2 tanks, and the cause was the "stubby" fuel vents as Bill says: http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/KTM-690-Enduro-R-SMC/ktm-690-enduro-accesories/tank-breather

The moment I tossed those and instead vented the front tanks each with an open piece of fuel hose just routed and cable-tied onto the frame below the steering head, problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
* RALLYE * HARD ENDURO * MTB *

KTM 690 ENDURO-R RALLYE-LITE * 2016 AMAGEZA FINISHER
KTM 300 XC-W * 2015 ROOF OF AFRICA BRONZE FINISHER
KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline Rascal

Re: Re: 690 Rally Raid Evo 2 tank problems
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 09:30:33 am »
I had this same problem on the Amageza with my front Evo 2 tanks, and the cause was the "stubby" fuel vents as Bill says: http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/KTM-690-Enduro-R-SMC/ktm-690-enduro-accesories/tank-breather

The moment I tossed those and instead vented the front tanks each with an open piece of fuel hose just routed and cable-tied onto the frame below the steering head, problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check that fuel pump housing is clean and the hole that you drilled in the housing when installing the tanks is not blocked. If the tanks still overflow replace the original fuel cap with the acerbis screw cap from rally raid. Problem solved.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Offline Werner747

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 09:08:15 am »
Thanks all for the advice! I have drilled out the standard cap vent, to remove the ball for one way valve, as per Bullet's suggestion. Let see how it goes.
Will also check the fuel pump housing, just to make sure.
Still would be nice to get the front tanks to empty first......
Anyone know where to buy the heat-shield tape, that some stick on the inside of the tanks?