Stuck petrol cap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
I am in the very slow process of fixing/sorting out an 81RS.  Small things at a time with small amounts of money so the Wife will not notice too much.
I knew the original tank was rusted so I got a replacement, but the petrol cap on the old tank was stuck.  A kind gent with much experience drilled the requisite hole and we opened it last time.  However on trying to remove the petrol cap recently I discovered it was stuck, so I left it for a time more appropriate for me to sit and struggle with some assistance.  
This afternoon I got stuck in.  Put the pin and no movement.  Lefty looseys, righty tighties.  Yep turning it the right way.  Unlocked, yep tried that as well.  Hands are hurting now and patience is minimal.  Read as much as I can on the net.  Get my son to read it, just in case I missed something.  I see something about applying some upward pressure as well while turning.  Still nada, zip, squawt, nought, diddly.  Apply that force which is commensurate with my lack of patience.  
Movement, but not what I want.  The handle comes off in my hand....  After recognising that this wasn't what was planned or desired, I have a pile of parts on the ground.  Using a pair of pliers, I loosen the offending part.  
It would seem as though the metal insert had rusted to the inner of the tank neck.  
Closer inspection reveals that it would have had to be replaced, rust holes etc.
Have a look at the pics below.  
But while you are, my questions are what options do I have apart from buying another new/used petrol cap?  What prices am I looking at and will the prices make my wife eventually realise how much this project will cost???? :'(

Attachments

• rusted cap.jpg
    rusted cap.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 211
  • rustedcap2.jpg
    rustedcap2.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 209