Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1282361 times)

Lommies, Shukran and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10420 on: November 06, 2020, 07:24:07 am »
Well done, Gary!
Ps. I sent you a photo of my lower leg.......
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline BFG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #10421 on: November 06, 2020, 09:18:35 am »
Well done, Gary!
Ps. I sent you a photo of my lower leg.......
That sounds exciting :imaposer:

Offline WheelieDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #10422 on: November 06, 2020, 01:51:26 pm »
Exciting or disturbing?
For the love of it.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10423 on: November 07, 2020, 07:22:22 pm »
Disturbing!

A rapid-fire update for y'all, I'm swamped with work this weekend.

1. I made a complaint with the city about our neighbors, who are assholes of ginormous proportions. Hopefully that will sort it out. If not, we will call the cops if we have to. More on that later (with pictures). I made a complaint about the other neighbors last year and the city moved promptly and gave them a code violation citation. I don't want to be the jerk who complains about everyone, but this is a case of people behaving like assholes without the least consideration for others. I was so f*cking angry yesterday. I was on my way over there to sort them out but unfortunately Mr. Zog got a hold of me and stopped me.  >:(

2. We are bracing for tropical storm Eta. It is passing well south of us over the next day or so. Mostly it will affect south Florida (Miami, the Keys). But already we are getting the outer bands, and the wind is howling here, with stronger gusts. I had to move some of the bigger pot plants into sheltered positions on the front porch because they were about to take off.  :eek7: We are not putting shutters up or anything, it won't be that bad. I just want to keep my plants from breaking/shredding leaves.

Have a great weekend!  :thumleft:

P.S. We have just been placed under a tropical storm watch.

P.P.S. Looks like someone else complained too. The cops just rolled up. Wasn't me who called them.

So much for "we live in a really quiet neighborhood."  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 07:51:00 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10424 on: November 08, 2020, 01:51:49 am »
Finished today - Book 36 of 2020

He placed a notice in a Chicago paper, an advertisement for "a reliable wife." She responded, saying that she was "a simple, honest woman." She was, of course, anything but honest, and the only simple thing about her was her single-minded determination to marry this man and then kill him, slowly and carefully, leaving her a wealthy widow, able to take care of the one she truly loved. What Catherine Land did not realize was that the enigmatic and lonely Ralph Truitt had a plan of his own.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #10425 on: November 08, 2020, 02:45:16 am »
Finished today - Book 36 of 2020

He placed a notice in a Chicago paper, an advertisement for "a reliable wife." She responded, saying that she was "a simple, honest woman." She was, of course, anything but honest, and the only simple thing about her was her single-minded determination to marry this man and then kill him, slowly and carefully, leaving her a wealthy widow, able to take care of the one she truly loved. What Catherine Land did not realize was that the enigmatic and lonely Ralph Truitt had a plan of his own.

Sounds Scary.

I see Deon Meyer got a new Afrikaans novel out, and since my daughter loves reading too I said she can use my money to buy a copy, read and keep for me when I get home.

Mrs Z your neighbours sounds interesting. Weirdly it seems we share some of that, within a month since we arrived here earlier the year we got new neighbours and they just don't sleep during the night. There is always movement and over weekends it can become a bit disturbing, I have noticed the police already a couple of times either watching them or visiting but nothing has changed.
This is also supposedly a quiet neighbourhood. Things like this however never get under my skin, maybe because I have been working in real weird places throughout my life and career and got used to all sorts of alcohol related, drug, religious and so on 'sounds' around me  :lol8:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10426 on: November 08, 2020, 03:01:24 am »
The neighbours...

We have vacant lots either side of us. But the house to the east of the vacant lot beside us is a bit like a commune. Owned by an older lady, it appears that she rents out rooms to youngsters. A new guys seems to have moved in, and he has a big black bakkie. He has decided to park on the sidewalk in front of the vacant lot between our houses, and with all the rain we have been having that sidewalk is a mushy wet quagmire.

But dude is a twasshole, he parks his big bakkie there, then when he leaves he spins the wheels all the way onto the tar. This has resulted in massive gouges in the ground, spinning out all the grass, and mud spraying everywhere. Totally fucking up the sidewalk. Fucking twasshole.

My first instinct when I first saw this fucker spinning up the grass into the mud was to walk over and pull him out of his truck and give him a real South African poesklap of absolute note. But then I remembered that I am not yet a citizen, and then I would be held up for assault by this fucker, and labelled a racist and a danger to the US society and find myself on a plane back to SA, never allowed to return to the USA.

So I let it go. And when Mrs Zog saw him doing this, I had to keep her back. Do it the right way, report the fucker and let the law take it's course.

That sidewalk was looking really nice, I cut the grass on it every week when I cut our grass, but now it's a fucking total mess.

I'll get a pic for y'all in the morning...

Maybe I need to "fix" his bakkie early one morning while fuckface is still sleeping it off  :peepwall:  :pot:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10427 on: November 08, 2020, 03:14:33 am »
Back to normal life however  :sip:  :lol8:

First thing this morning, after coffee, I took the freshly painted rims to the tyre shop and had the new rubber fitted and the wheels balanced. Then I brought them home and dropped them off, and then I took my bakkie back to the dealer where I bought it.

You see, when I bought this bakkie they had a special going where I get free car washes for life...v  :eek7:

So I pulled up to the entrance to the service bay, the young lady service advisor took my bakkie to the wash bay, while I took a stroll around the dealership...

So I took some pics of some of the vehicles that caught my eye...

First up, a Mustang.

Not too bad at "only" $39 620.00  :sip: :lol8:

But it only has the "small" 2.3 liter turbo engine... hence the really good fuel economy of 23 miles per gallon (my bakkie gives me around 20/21 MPG with everyday driving  :sip:

Not really my taste, I truly don't see the sence in buying a car that can do blistering speeds when you stand a really good cahnce of getting bust and arrested and your car forfeited to the state if you drive at the speeds it is capable of...  :deal:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10428 on: November 08, 2020, 03:21:33 am »
Next up, something that I would love...   :drif:

A beautiful full-house F250...

But this bakkie costs almost as much as our house  :eek7:

What's that in ZAR... R1 400 000.00 plus taxes  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

But it does have a decent sized engine... the 6.7 liter turbo diesel Power Stroke  :drif:

This bakkie has it all....

Here is a list of the "extras"  :deal:

Also has a sexy bum  :peepwall:

I was going to get more pics, of other cars for sale, but then they came to get me because my bakkie was already washed and ready to go.  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10429 on: November 08, 2020, 03:24:37 am »
Mrs Zog gave me a pic she took of the torn-up sidewalk.

You can also see that there is an abandoned car parked there too. It has been there for about 6 months, the grass is growing up higher that the bonnet already.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10430 on: November 08, 2020, 03:31:45 am »
Back home with a nice clean (for free  :biggrin: ) bakkie, I got to work finishing off the dog-cage.

Remember I used to have this on the F150, but I had to modify it to fit the Colorado, at the same time I decided to replace to rusting chicken-wire with new plastic-coated chicken wire. I also had to modify and redo the "bench" that Maggie needs to stand on so she can see out over the side of the bakkie.

Damn this is just such a sexy bakkie  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10431 on: November 08, 2020, 03:37:40 am »
Mr. Zog forgot to mention that those f*ckers throw their trash into our yard.  :dousing:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10432 on: November 08, 2020, 03:38:53 am »
After finishing off the bakkie cage I went off to the supermarket and bought some bottled water for taking to work each day.

I also bought some fruit juice for Mrs Zog...

Then back home I hauled out the weed eater, and then the mower.

I was ALMOST done cutting the grass when the first wave of tropical storm Eta hit us. A massive downpour that had me drenched before I could drive the mower back into the back yard and into the shed.

Eish...

And that was pretty much that... we have been getting rain off and on since then.

But I did clean out my cupboard. Sorted out my clothes and tossed out the stuff that was completely fubar. Now I can find my clothes again  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Oh, and it appears that we will have a change in leadership soon...  :peepwall:  :lol8:

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10433 on: November 08, 2020, 04:05:14 am »
ETA = Exiting Trump Administration?

Coincidence I am sure, but I hope neither causes you guys any damages !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10434 on: November 08, 2020, 03:33:41 pm »
replace to rusting chicken-wire with new plastic-coated chicken wire.

Damn that is a Brakpan plan in Florida!! ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10435 on: November 10, 2020, 01:50:04 am »
replace to rusting chicken-wire with new plastic-coated chicken wire.

Damn that is a Brakpan plan in Florida!! ;) :lol8:

If the plastic coating stops the rust for just a few extra months it will be a bargain  :lol8:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10436 on: November 10, 2020, 01:58:40 am »
So late yesterday afternoon and  evening we got some pretty strong winds and lots of rain squalls.

I wished that I had taken down the canopy over the boat, but by then it was too late. If I had tried then I think it would have just ripped as I released the tie downs. So I let it be and hoped for the best. This morning at first light I looked out and saw the canopy was still there, and in one piece! WIN!!

Today the wind and rain squalls slowly subsided as Eta moved away into the Gulf of Mexico. Right now the wind is not bad at all, and the rain squalls are just light downpours. I think we may have dodged a bullet with this one. Lower down the coast they had some pretty bad flooding and lots of damage from the wind. Especially around the Fort Lauderdale and Miami areas.

This afternoon I had an appointment at a new chiropractor. The old one that I had been to was not doing right by me. So I stopped going. This one was sooo much better. Lots of clicks in my back, then he got a proper sports masseuse to work on some of the knots on my back and shoulders, then some of that electric shock pad stuff, then some traction as well. And at a much lower price than the other guy charged as well. I'm really hoping that by tomorrow morning I will feel a bit better, my back and shoulders and neck have been in a constant spasm for several weeks now.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10437 on: November 10, 2020, 02:20:43 am »
But let me get back to Sunday...

First thing I did was fit the wheels back onto the trailer. Then I went to the boat store (West Marine) to look at 6" Stainless Steel handles, and also marine varnish. I found both, but had I bought both I would have been out just over $100  :eek7:

So I left empty handed...  The handles were $40 and the varnish was $60. Crazy  :patch:

Back home I looked online and found the same handles for just under $10 each (I need two) on Ebay, and the varnish from a reputable supplier for $36 with free shipping. I still didn't order anything because I don't have the cash right now, but at least I know I can get them for a shade over $50. That is a BIG saving  :ricky:

Then I fired up the lawnmower and finished off the mowing that I didn't get done on Saturday after the squall hit.

The next job on the trailer was to check out the jockey wheel. It was rusted, and sticking, and the wheel didn't turn or rotate. So I pulled it off and took a look...

This is an old-school jockey wheel, I could take it all apart and service it. Everything was still in good shape, just a bit rusty in places, and dried up grease causing issues in others.

I completely stripped it...

It all got the treatment on the wire wheel on the bench grinder, and then I put it all back together again with just the right amount of grease on all the bits that needed grease. Now it is slick and smooth going up and down, the wheel turns around freely, and it even rotates around the axle too!  :ricky:

So now the trailer is almost there. New rubber, new lights, wheel bearings done, jockey wheel sorted out.

The next job on the trailer will be to pull it out from under the boat (I will have to support the boat on some frames) and replace the wooden bunks that support the boat hull and the special carpet pads that cover the wooden bunks. But before I do that I first want to do some work on the transom and the gunwales of the boat.

This evening driving home I took a pic of the latest fuel prices. They have come down a bit the last few months.

Regular unleaded is now $1.99 / gallon, diesel is $2.09 / gallon and the special ethanol free fuel is $2.59 / gallon. That's the lowest it has been in quite some time.  :ricky:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:23:31 am by Mr Zog »

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10438 on: November 10, 2020, 07:01:39 am »
Jy kom seker van Gauteng af. Daai wooden bunks van jou lyk soos die stutte in die myne :imaposer:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #10439 on: November 10, 2020, 07:22:13 am »
Having preached the good word, about "Hot Dip Galvanising" on here for many years, your trailer must be one of the best adverts for it I have seen, back home a local trailer company "Ivor Williams" makes farm trailers, ONLY Hot dip galv, expensive, but the farmers swear by them.  :thumleft:
An aspiring Coddiwompler