Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1325903 times)

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #11040 on: March 01, 2021, 05:13:06 am »
So remember that I had to build a pontoon float to get a job done?

Nice. At least you guys don't have 'Elf & Safety on your backs. Job cards, threat analysis, toolbox talk, water wings, standby ambo.

Your workshop is an inspiration.  :thumleft:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #11041 on: March 01, 2021, 03:24:57 pm »
So remember that I had to build a pontoon float to get a job done?

Nice. At least you guys don't have 'Elf & Safety on your backs. Job cards, threat analysis, toolbox talk, water wings, standby ambo.

Your workshop is an inspiration.  :thumleft:

Frank that reminds me of the days we worked together in Turkana  :lol8:
I must say you did very well wrt HSE on the remote site, worldclass indeed.
That very company once closed us up for 2 weeks because we were doing seismic and using long drop toilets...it was a big no.

I can assure you though that most of corporate America is ontop of their HSE game.
As a re-hire I need to do a day training coming Wednesday with various videos, tests and practical reviews before I'll be allowed to commence work.
Small businesses is still a different story but it is changing. Some home owners will not use Armish people to redo the shingles on their houses because they refuse to use fall protection. I think the home owners fear that their may get in trouble if someone gets injured on their premises.....so I've been told.

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11042 on: March 02, 2021, 12:05:08 am »
The orange blossoms and jasmine are blooming at the same time. I can't even describe how gorgeous it smells in the garden right now. I just stand there with my morning coffee and inhale, inhale, inhale. I wish I could bottle that smell.

It made my Monday bearable.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11043 on: March 02, 2021, 02:55:09 am »
I was going to post some nice pictures from our morning at the Environmental Learning Center yesterday, but for some reason, a bunch of them are gone from my cell phone. It's a cheap shit Chinese bargain bin phone, so I probably shouldn't be surprised.

I'm sorry. Here's what's left.

The fish is a pufferfish, I think? Mr. Zog will correct me if I'm wrong. The tortoise is a gopher tortoise, a protected species.

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #11044 on: March 02, 2021, 06:02:02 am »
The fish is a pufferfish, I think?

The fish is a puffer fish - the bane of many a fisherman's life.
You think you have a bite on your line and strike, only to find one of those square-faced things on the other end...!  >:(
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11045 on: March 03, 2021, 02:38:37 am »
Finished last night:  Book 5 of 2021  (P.S. This was a re-read.)

This is an epic of love, hatred, war and revolution. This is a huge novel that follows five families through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for votes for women.

It is 1911. The Coronation Day of King George V. The Williams, a Welsh coal-mining family is linked by romance and enmity to the Fitzherberts, aristocratic coal-mine owners. Lady Maud Fitzherbert falls in love with Walter von Ulrich, a spy at the German Embassy in London. Their destiny is entangled with that of an ambitious young aide to U.S. President Woodrow Wilson and to two orphaned Russian brothers, whose plans to emigrate to America fall foul of war, conscription and revolution. In a plot of unfolding drama and intriguing complexity, "Fall Of Giants" moves seamlessly from Washington to St Petersburg, from the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty.

Very relatable for me because of my background and family history (my father's side is Russian, my mother's side is French, I was born and grew up in Germany).

Five Fun Facts about Mrs. Zog:

1. My great-grandfather was at the royal court in St. Peterburg serving Tsar Nicholas II in some capacity, I'm not quite sure what he did.
2. My grandmother came to Germany from St. Petersburg between the World Wars as a young woman.
3. I spoke Russian pretty fluently with my grandmother but lost it all after she died, I had no reason to use it.
4. Tsar Nicholas's wife was German - Alexandra Feodorovna (Princess Alix of Hesse) - I'm named after her.
5. In 2000, the Russian Orthodox Church made her a Saint - Saint Alexandra the Passion Bearer. I will never be made a saint. I swear too much.

Good night!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:59:52 am by Mrs. Zog »

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11046 on: March 03, 2021, 05:29:36 pm »
Hibiscus after the rain and orange blossoms.

Enjoy.

The following users thanked this post: Rynet, Bikerboer1973

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #11047 on: March 03, 2021, 07:30:16 pm »
Interesting fun facts. 

Offline Ri

« Reply #11048 on: March 04, 2021, 01:20:24 pm »
Beautiful. I remember riding through flowering citrus orchards near Citrusdal once... magical... that SMELL!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11049 on: March 04, 2021, 06:22:09 pm »
ROUND 1 - Sammy 1, Maggie 0

Maggie and Sammy had a bad fight this morning. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but she came in limping and bleeding. He bit her pretty hard. It didn't need stitches, but it's still pretty deep and ugly, so I cleaned and disinfected and gave her a pain killer. She looks like she went a couple of rounds in the ring.

As far as I can piece it together, they had a fight behind the garden shed, it's a very narrow passage. I guess he cornered her and bit her. Also, we know we have rats under that shed (trying to eradicate them), so maybe they cornered a rat there and, during high excitement, they turned on each other (happened before, several times). I also know that Maggie bullies Sammy relentlessly until he snaps. Whatever happened, it led to an all-out nasty fight.

We know that corner of the garden is TROUBLE. We can't see what they're up to back there, it's narrow with only one way out, and there's critters in there. Not a good combination, and it draws them like a magnet.  ::)

Mr. Zog and I are in agreement that after today's episode, we need to find a way to block access to that part of the garden. 

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #11050 on: March 05, 2021, 02:54:44 am »
I am in agreement with both of you on that one  :3some:
Hard ro picture Sammy in a fight though  :lol8:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11051 on: March 06, 2021, 12:41:35 am »
Someone sent me these Scandinavian words today, and they explain my life so well right now, so I have to share.

HUNDAFVISE - Sitting on the floor to pet your dog, but then your dog walking away, and you just staying on the floor alone.

DRIKKEDRUKNE - Slowly filling your bedside table with empty mugs and wineglasses and one full, old, ChapStick-rimmed glass of stale water with dog hair floating in it.

SMURTSVIN - Putting on so much hand lotion that you canít use your phone or computer.

OSTSKAM - Eating cheese with the refrigerator door open so it counts as a light snack and not a three-thousand-calorie cry for help.

UENDELIG SMERTE - Making a cup of tea thatís a thousand degrees too hot and forgetting to drink it until itís cold.

BESKIDT HUS - Vacuuming, but not vacuuming your baseboards or under any furniture, then wondering why your house is still dirty even though you just vacuumed.

NULLBUTIKK - Putting things that would make your house nicer in online shopping carts and then never buying them.

FRILUFTSLIV NEI - Saying that youíre going to go for a walk in the fresh air and then it suddenly being nighttime without you even having put on pants.

Happy Friday everyone...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:42:19 am by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11052 on: March 06, 2021, 02:35:33 am »
I got a package from Kansas today... because I asked @Tom van Brits to play courier   :biggrin:

Thanks so much Tom, I think we have enough for a while!  ;D   

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #11053 on: March 06, 2021, 03:44:50 am »
You welcome Mrs Z. Not something I eat, but glad you guys can enjoy some taste from SA. :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #11054 on: March 08, 2021, 03:50:01 pm »
Happy Monday everyone!

I'm sorry for the shocking lack of posting interesting stuff. We've been really busy and not in a pleasant way. I spent my weekend doing taxes; I hope yours was more enjoyable!

I'm sure Mr. Zog will get around to editing that video from last weekend at the nature place (where I put in an appearance as well   8)), but he's been on call this week and spent this weekend building a gate to keep the dogs out behind the shed and also devised a better rodent trap.

He'll catch up with y'all soon.

Enjoy your week!

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay, Skeltonsc, Ri, Tom van Brits

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #11055 on: March 09, 2021, 03:18:23 am »
Wot she said  :laughing4:

Things have been busy and difficult.

Last week I was busy at work. Lots of long hours. Friday I installed a water heater, a big one, 55 gallons. I threw my back out lifting it into position. The hazards of working alone. Driving back home Friday evening I tried to get an appointment at the chiropractor, but they were already closed. The weekend was spent in a lot of pain and discomfort with very little sleep and lots of pain killers.

I was called out on Saturday evening, was a kak job fixing the pump in a very tight closet, but I got it done.

The gate mentioned above.

Maggie came running inside the other day crying and bleeding. We believe that she may have cornered a rat in the passageway on the side of the workshop where I park my boat, then Sammy got involved, and ended up biting Maggie. He does that when he gets all excited. That's why we separate them when we go out. So Mrs Zog made the decision that I will close up the entrance to that passageway / alley. That way she can keep an eye on Maggie a lot better, and not have to stop working and go outside and look for Maggie every few minutes. We know that there are rats living in the crawlspace under the garden shed and workshop and fishing shed.

So... this is the area in question.

I also park the broken down mowers I pick up back there under the boat.

And you have to get down really low to see all the way to the back where Maggie likes to try and dig under the sheds

Here is one hole she has started

and more places where the rats come and go...

Of course the rats will attract snakes as well. Maybe we have so many rats because a certain terrier has killed so many snakes...  :peepwall:

Anyways, this area needs to be closed off.

So on my return from the Home Depot I unloaded this pile of lumber

She already knew something was up  :pot:

First order of business was to create a base for the gate. Something that would make it very difficult for her to dig under, and would also create a strong and stable base for the rest of the gate. I used a 4x4 beam that I cut exactly to length.

Then I dug it into the ground so the top was just level with the ground. I still need to be able to push the boat trailer over it.

From there on I just got on with it. Used another two 4x4's as the vertical beams to support the gates, with a cross bar over the top to stop them leaning inwards when the weight of the gates hung on them. I did it this was because I seriously didn't want to dig deep holes into the ground and concrete the beams in. This would have taken a whole lot longer, and waiting for the concrete to set up would have meant that I would not have been able to get it done before the weekend was over. Plus I think it looks cool, like the entrance to a ranch... I just need to find something to hang from the cross beam. Not a horseshoe, this ain't a ranch. Maybe an anchor...  :imaposer:

I made the gates the same height as the little fence around my braai area. It's high enough to keep Maggie out.  :thumleft:  And it matches the other fence nicely. In a few months the fresh wood will have faded and will look much closer to the older one.

There are two equal gates, and they latch in the center. They fold back more than enough to allow me to get the boat out.

Job done. I'm happy. Mrs Zog is happy.

Maggie is pissed off  :dousing:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #11056 on: March 09, 2021, 03:41:45 am »
I have been seeing a whole lot of bikes since Friday.

Like a LOT more. Then I remembered, Friday was the start of Bike Week in Daytona.

Today I had to drive up to Titusville which is right by the Kennedy Space center, for a job. I literally saw hundreds of bikes heading down, coming back from Daytona. I also saw lots still heading in that direction.

Mainly Harleys, in fact the vast majority were Harleys. Wobbling along. making lots of noise. The riders (and sometimes pillions) enjoying the ride, wind in their hair, living the lifestyle.

A part of me is quite jealous.

Yup, no helmets. Very few I saw were wearing helmets. I guess when you are sitting on the Interstate at 70 MPH (110km/h) you don't really need one. Just some sunglasses to keep the bugs out of your eyes.

Most were also wearing some kind of "colours" on their jackets. Americans like to be associated with something; biker clubs, military veterans associations, whatever. Lots of patches and badges. Beards blowing upwards behind the big screens. T-shirts that say "if you can read this the bitch fell off". I think she got off at the last stop for fuel and never came back. The noise from those exhaust pipes are bloody deafening. I'd also rather go fishing. It's quieter.  :pot:  :ricky:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

I went to the chiropractor this morning. Got rukked and plukked. Felt a whole lot better. Until I had to lift up a heavy pump. Fuck.

More pain killers tonight.

Maybve I need to go see Shovel McSherry's doc?  :peepwall:

Maybe I just need to take some cement pills and harden the fuck up.

Sunday I did a whole lot more tidying up in my workshop. Listening to country music on the juke box. I also cut the grass. And trimmed all the creepers that got nailed in the frost we had a few weeks ago. 

Today was chilly. I wore jeans and a jacket to work. It will slowly start warming up towards the weekend. Longs and a jacket tomorrow again.

Oh yes. The better mouse trap. I have got a few rats in the standard traps already. But I made a new one, one I saw on YouTube. It's a 5 gallon (25 liter) bucket. It has a piece of PVC pipe at the top that is on a rod, allowing the pipe to spin around freely. And the bucket is half full of water. I used some of Mrs Zog's Nutella as bait that I spread along the middle of teh PVC pipe. Theory is that rat will try to get to the Nutella, crawl along the pipe, the pipe will spin and deposit rat in the water. Sides of bucket are too smooth for the rat to get out, rat drowns.

That's the theory anyways. Still to be proven. Tonight is the second night it will be out in the garden shed. Hopefully the Nutella pays off.  :lol8:

Why do Harleys wobble so much when they ride slowly?  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #11057 on: March 09, 2021, 04:16:23 am »
Yes Gary in here in Kansas the bikes were up and running yesterday, and mainly Harleys.
Haven't seen a single one rider nor pillion with a helmet on them heads!

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #11058 on: March 09, 2021, 09:55:48 am »
Yes Gary in here in Kansas the bikes were up and running yesterday, and mainly Harleys.
Haven't seen a single one rider nor pillion with a helmet on them heads!
Oh hell he's startin to sound like a Yank!! :deal: ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
Guess he has to practice for life in a trailer park!! ;) :peepwall:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #11059 on: March 09, 2021, 10:28:46 am »

Oh yes. The better mouse trap. I have got a few rats in the standard traps already. But I made a new one, one I saw on YouTube. It's a 5 gallon (25 liter) bucket. It has a piece of PVC pipe at the top that is on a rod, allowing the pipe to spin around freely. And the bucket is half full of water. I used some of Mrs Zog's Nutella as bait that I spread along the middle of teh PVC pipe. Theory is that rat will try to get to the Nutella, crawl along the pipe, the pipe will spin and deposit rat in the water. Sides of bucket are too smooth for the rat to get out, rat drowns.

Do you have the link to the video.

I need to build one as Mickey next door catches no rats, but we have a few champions around.

Nice gate.

And yes, find something interesting to mount on top, or hung from the cross beam.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.