Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 833757 times)

seanpta and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline OomD

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6980 on: March 07, 2019, 07:57:04 am »
 :laughing4: Okahumpka... is that where the Oompa Loompa's are from?  :lol8:

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #6981 on: March 07, 2019, 09:34:23 am »
MR Zog, that water purifiers, at what PH does the water come out?

My sister used a reverse osmosis machine, we all did, but the PH was to low and after years off this she got so sick and could not figure out what it was. Luckily after seeing some doc's her homeopath figured out the problem and she now uses some fancy thing/purifier from the states that cost about R15k that up's the PH and all her problems are gone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:34:59 am by Bikerboer1973 »
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6982 on: March 08, 2019, 03:41:28 am »
MR Zog, that water purifiers, at what PH does the water come out?

My sister used a reverse osmosis machine, we all did, but the PH was to low and after years off this she got so sick and could not figure out what it was. Luckily after seeing some doc's her homeopath figured out the problem and she now uses some fancy thing/purifier from the states that cost about R15k that up's the PH and all her problems are gone.

I haven't measured the Ph of my RO system under my sink.

But lets look at it this way; something has to be added to water to make it either acidic or alkali. Like lemon juice will make it acidic. When the RO process takes place, it removed everything from the water. Literally EVERYTHING. We use a machine that measures the TDS (Total dissolved solids) of the water. Before the RO it can easily read 1000. After the RO it reads between 2 and 5. So the water that comes out of the RO is PURE WATER. H2O only. I may be wrong, but I believe that H2O is Ph neutral, around 7.4.

So with your sister, maybe her RO was not working correctly? Maybe the membrane was damaged? Or maybe somehow she was allowing impurities back into the water when she poured it from the tap?

One of the big crazes over here right now is "10 Water", it has a Ph of 10  :eek7:  So it is extremely base (alkali). This is supposed to be very healthy to drink.

However, bear in mind that your stomach acid is very acidic. Around a Ph of 2-3. So as soon as this "10 Water" hits your stomach it gets converted to a neutral Ph, or even lower. Much like chewing on a Tums, it may just dilute the gastric acid for a bit. So it is actually a croc of shit in my opinion...  :peepwall:

What I am trying to say is, I think your sister has been had by the homeopath...  :sip:

Many versions of bottled water are RO water. The rest are purified spring water. The purification process usually includes adding either chlorine or hydrogen peroxide to the water to kill bacteria and organics... then filtered out through a activated carbon filter, and sometimes passed by a UV light...

I drink my RO water straight up, Mrs Zog likes to add a slice of lemon to give it taste.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6983 on: March 08, 2019, 03:42:54 am »
:laughing4: Okahumpka... is that where the Oompa Loompa's are from?  :lol8:

could be  :sip:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6984 on: March 08, 2019, 06:44:42 am »
I have a borehole and had the water tested at CSIR.
It is very slightly acidic at 7.0-7.2.
If I just UV irradiate it to kill any possible bacteria in pipes etc, it is pure enough to be bottled as spring water.
It was so good my son managed to breed live-bearing tropical fish using our borehole water.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6985 on: March 08, 2019, 07:32:24 am »

What I am trying to say is, I think your sister has been had by the homeopath...  :sip:

Not necessarily, we all agree that RO removes everything, but that also includes the "good stuff" - minerals, salts etc. - that are required for a healthy system, so basically you are only hydrating and you have to get your salts & minerals elsewhere (Rehydrat etc.)

There was a university experiment a read about a few years back - they planted 2 pots with the same variety of seeds in a controlled environment, fed the one plain tap water and the other RO water. They both started out fine while they were utilizing the nutrients in the soil, but the RO plants started falling behind fairly quickly, and eventually shriveled up completely. now this is obviously the extreme, as we dont live on water alone, but I can see the theory....

:peepwall:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline pwt

« Reply #6986 on: March 08, 2019, 08:06:54 am »

Not necessarily, we all agree that RO removes everything, but that also includes the "good stuff" - minerals, salts etc. - that are required for a healthy system, so basically you are only hydrating and you have to get your salts & minerals elsewhere (Rehydrat etc.)

There was a university experiment a read about a few years back - they planted 2 pots with the same variety of seeds in a controlled environment, fed the one plain tap water and the other RO water. They both started out fine while they were utilizing the nutrients in the soil, but the RO plants started falling behind fairly quickly, and eventually shriveled up completely. now this is obviously the extreme, as we dont live on water alone, but I can see the theory....

My R/O system's final filter is called a mineral ball filter and it is supposed to put some lost elements back into the water

"The mineral ball filter is used to put good minerals back into your reverse osmosis water by letting the water run through mineral balls inside the filters. The mineral ball filter redeposits calcium ,iron ,magnesium ,potassium ,zinc and other good minerals that your body needs"

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6987 on: March 08, 2019, 08:11:52 am »

My R/O system's final filter is called a mineral ball filter and it is supposed to put some lost elements back into the water

"The mineral ball filter is used to put good minerals back into your reverse osmosis water by letting the water run through mineral balls inside the filters. The mineral ball filter redeposits calcium ,iron ,magnesium ,potassium ,zinc and other good minerals that your body needs"

Good to know - I imagine the Varsity test was done on older equipment then?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #6988 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:08 am »
So this is the system my sister uses now,

https://www.lifeionizers.com/

A company in SA brings them in, she has the middel/5 plate unit and was about R21k, eish!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:40:31 am by Bikerboer1973 »
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6989 on: March 11, 2019, 03:05:58 am »
So this is the system my sister uses now,

https://www.lifeionizers.com/

A company in SA brings them in, she has the middel/5 plate unit and was about R21k, eish!

I had a quick look at the website, and basically they are treating the water to make it alkaline. Just like I mentioned in my previous post on the subject; as soon as that water hits your stomach, it turns back to acidic, or at least Ph neutral, from your stomach acid. Simple science. Unfortunately some people are gullible, or just desperate enough, to try these crocks of shit. From their own website I copy and paste their own disclaimer:

Water FiltrationThe contaminants or other substances removed or reduced by this water treatment device are not necessarily in your water. Click here to receive a free analysis of your local water quality report to find out which contaminants are found in in your water. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

:sip:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6990 on: March 11, 2019, 03:42:23 am »
I worked my ass off this weekend.

Saturday I went and bought myself a new pair of work boots. My previous pair had work through the sole, so my feet were getting wet all the time. That gets pretty painful after a while. I also bought a couple of pairs of new socks, my old ones had too many holes in them  :peepwall: :imaposer:

Then I came home and got to work. Mrs Zog and I had wanted a bird bath for a while now, but they are pretty expensive. But I had a brainwave  :biggrin:

When we moved into the house there was a satellite dish on the roof. I took it down a few days ago because I don't want it up there. Looks kak, and just another thing to give the wind purchase in a hurricane and rip my roof off. I took the dish apart, and saved the two adjustable legs for possible use in another project. Then I moved the dish mounting bracket from the one end to the center, and mounted the dish on a recycled fence post in the bottom of the garden. Made sure that it was perfectly level, filled it with water, and put a rock in the middle for the birdies to sit on. And now we wait for the birdies to find it and start using it :biggrin:

Then I tacked the fence again. Dug another two holes and planted another two fence posts, secured with concrete. Then I stripped off another sectionof the inside fence slats and managed to salvage the majority of them for use again. By then it was just too hot to continue, so I called it "time", and came indoors where the AC was working. A short while later my friend called me to let me know he was home. He had asked me to install two new inside doors for him at his house, and we had arranged that I would do it Saturday afternoon.

I packed up my tools, had a shower, and Mrs Zog and I headed over. Pulling into his driveway I noticed a brand new bike. Ralph had the previous week purchased himself a new Indian cruiser. I completely forgot to take a pic, sorry guys. But it is matt black, and styled like a Harley. Very nice  :drif:  He had been up in Daytona for the day (it is currently Bike Week up there) and has also booked it in at a customiser up there after bike week to cusomise it. Air suspension that lifts the back up and down, and fitting a massive front wheel (I think he mentioned 32 inch  :eek7: ) so it will looks pretty sweet. Not my style at all, but whatever floats his boat...

I fitted the two new doors, using my router and a special jig to cut the pockets for the hinges. Then we had a lekker shrimp dinner that his wife had made. Lekker man!  :drif:

Today was a weird day. When I woke up I had automatically lost an hour of sleep, today the clocks went forward an hour for daylight savings time. So now we are back to just 6 hours behind you guys and not seven.

I did a few quieter jobs inside my workshop, then at 10 am I got back to the fence. Dug another hole and planted another fence post. Then stripped off the slats from another two sections, salvaging them for re use. Then I built another two sections of fence using the reclaimed materials. But it was hot. Super hot and incredibly humid too. I was soaked with sweat, even Mrs Zog turned her nose up at me.  :imaposer:

After the fence was done (not finished, but about 2/3rds done now on the west side) I mowed the grass (decided not to do weed eating, I was just too fucked). Then set the sprinklers to water, and went to the liquor store and got a dozen beers  :biggrin:  Mrs Zog cooked us a very lekker chicked curry with dates and dried apricots  :drif:  washed down with an ice cold beer.

Life is good.  :thumleft:

I didn't get any pics, same old same as the previous pics of the fence. Boring. I'll get some pics when it is done, just for perspective. But I'll get some pics of my satellite dish bird bath when I have daylight at home...

Thanks for reading. Have a great week guys & girls  :thumleft:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6991 on: March 11, 2019, 04:47:56 am »
The Zog blog is always inspirational.
Reading it makes me feel that I've done a lot of work.  :thumleft:

I cannot get over the variations in alcohol sales in the various places in the USA.  :patch:
In Charlotte NC, we could buy beer and wine at the supermarket, but spirits had to be bought from the State-owned ABC store.
In Spartanburg SC, the hotel could not serve any alcohol after 12:00 on a Sunday.  But across the road was in another county and there was a biker-type bar that sold beer and spirits, but only in miniature bottles and you could only buy two...  :sip:
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online Noneking

« Reply #6992 on: March 11, 2019, 05:28:50 am »
Always lekker to see what you are up to.
2019 KTM 790 R
2016 HUSQVARNA 701

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #6993 on: March 11, 2019, 07:58:54 am »

I cannot get over the variations in alcohol sales in the various places in the USA.  :patch:
In Charlotte NC, we could buy beer and wine at the supermarket, but spirits had to be bought from the State-owned ABC store.
In Spartanburg SC, the hotel could not serve any alcohol after 12:00 on a Sunday.  But across the road was in another county and there was a biker-type bar that sold beer and spirits, but only in miniature bottles and you could only buy two...  :sip:

:sip: Sound like those laws were made in i-palement in Cape Town.  :bueller:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline OomD

« Reply #6994 on: March 11, 2019, 08:07:36 am »
Blixem Mr Zog, you are a busy man!

Maak my moeg net om te lees.  :lol8:

But very inspirational!

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #6995 on: March 11, 2019, 01:58:38 pm »

:sip: Sound like those laws were made in i-palement in Cape Town.  :bueller:

Nope each state has different laws how they see fit

"Why Do States Have Different Laws?

Federal laws are generally applicable in the same way across all state borders. However, under constitutional laws, states are allowed to create, implement, and enforce their own laws in additional to federal laws. This is because every U.S. state is also a sovereign entity in its own right and is granted the power to create laws and regulate them according to their needs.

Another reason behind this is that each state has unique characteristics in terms of factors such as:

Geography and natural resources
    Historical operations of business, commerce, and industry
    Public policies and community standards in the state"

Offline ®©errie

• Incognito
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #6996 on: March 13, 2019, 04:22:36 pm »
I started reading at page one about a month ago, and finally made it here today. Wow!!! what a journey. Cant wait for the next installment.
2003 Yamaha XT600e (Blouwa)
1993 Suzuki Djebel 200 (Project)
1984 Yamaha TT600 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XT250T (Sold)
2001 Yamaha SR250 (RIP) 1997 Yamaha RX115 (Sold) 1987 Kawasaki KE100 (in bike heaven) :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:  Ride Report: Verneukpan and Beyond

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #6997 on: March 13, 2019, 06:18:47 pm »
When we moved into the house there was a satellite dish on the roof. I took it down a few days ago because I don't want it up there. Looks kak, and just another thing to give the wind purchase in a hurricane and rip my roof off. I took the dish apart, and saved the two adjustable legs for possible use in another project. Then I moved the dish mounting bracket from the one end to the center, and mounted the dish on a recycled fence post in the bottom of the garden. Made sure that it was perfectly level, filled it with water, and put a rock in the middle for the birdies to sit on. And now we wait for the birdies to find it and start using it

When birds bath they wade into the water to the depth they prefer, squat down to wet their feathers then stand up & shake.  If the surface is slippery the shaking bit can't happen.  Glue some coarse sand to the dish to make it friendly for the birds.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6998 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:08 pm »
When we moved into the house there was a satellite dish on the roof. I took it down a few days ago because I don't want it up there. Looks kak, and just another thing to give the wind purchase in a hurricane and rip my roof off. I took the dish apart, and saved the two adjustable legs for possible use in another project. Then I moved the dish mounting bracket from the one end to the center, and mounted the dish on a recycled fence post in the bottom of the garden. Made sure that it was perfectly level, filled it with water, and put a rock in the middle for the birdies to sit on. And now we wait for the birdies to find it and start using it

When birds bath they wade into the water to the depth they prefer, squat down to wet their feathers then stand up & shake.  If the surface is slippery the shaking bit can't happen.  Glue some coarse sand to the dish to make it friendly for the birds.
Now I also know why the birdbaths are course inside. I thought the guys made them like that to be spitefull and difficult to clean. :patch: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6999 on: March 14, 2019, 03:24:32 am »

Thank you for that info tok-tokkie  :thumleft:

I dunno how I'll manage to glue sand into the dish...

But I do know that there is a concrete flat jobbie at the side of the house under the AC drain...  :pot:

I guess I just gave myself another job for the weekend  :o  :imaposer: