Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 927381 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7020 on: March 18, 2019, 06:58:06 am »
Thanks for the update Mr Zog. The fence is looking good, the trees are getting leaves - nice. Yah hey - it's best to shut up and be the employee that is always willing - I'm sure the boss takes notice of such things. It will come back to you one day. :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7021 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:51 am »
Congratulations both, and your extended family for the Vasbyt you and Mrs Z have done the last 3, not easy years.

I know what it was like moving here, the adaptations are much bigger than a few photos and forum thread can ever show.

Well done team. !!!

Excellent yard work Gary.

I know it won’t be happening, but would love to walk around your” werf” and get perception of size and also see it all relative to what it around your place.

I do like the small side fence a lot too, despite its purpose and time frame.

Have a good week at work.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:17:27 am by grizz »
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #7022 on: March 18, 2019, 08:59:14 am »
 :sip: Hi Mr. Zog, about the fence, I had to build a fence at the school where I do maintenance (pensioner abuse), it was 7m x 1,8m high, it was ment to be a windbreak for one of the classroom doors against the South-easter in Cape Town, I had to very quickly take the first few upright planks off and space them about 50 mm apart after the wind picked up because the pressure against the solid wall threathend  pushed the fence over although I planted five poles over the seven meters in concrete.
But, I'm sure you don't have the constant wind problem. I started the fence in nice calm conditions and when I fitted about a quarter of the uprights, the wind picked up and I had to remove the uprights quickly.
I just thought I'd mentioned it to you, as that was my experience.
Glad your boss screwed up on the roster, that gave you the Boerie contact.  :3some: :lol8:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #7023 on: March 18, 2019, 09:06:00 am »
 :sip: It looks like the old fence was spaced an altenated on both sides.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7024 on: March 18, 2019, 05:18:45 pm »
:sip: It looks like the old fence was spaced an alternated on both sides.

I meant to ask that...

In some municipal areas, having one-sided fences require the neighbour to have the "good" side.
Actually those staggered fences are very good as windbreaks.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7025 on: March 19, 2019, 02:07:53 am »
:sip: It looks like the old fence was spaced an altenated on both sides.

Quite correct.

The old fence is known locally as "shadow box". It allows a lot of the wind through, so stands up to hurricanes a lot better. But it does have downsides; because of the spacing, at a 45 degree angle you can see right through it, and the grass grows up between the spaces, and trying to cut it with the weed eater is impossible. It also allows easy ingress by smaller critters like opossums, rats, armadillo's and others like snakes.

The fence I am building the vertical planks are placed directly against each other. When you use new planks they do shrink as they dry, so you get a small (between 5-10mm) gap between the planks after a few months. This allows some wind through, but a really strong wind could damage it.

The third type is where the planks are spaced roughly 60% of the width of the planks apart. Then another plank is placed over the gap, completely closing it up, even when the planks shrink. This is called "board-on-board", but because it uses many more planks, it is a lot more expensive. The shadow box is also more expensive as it uses a similar amount of planks to the board-on-board.

My main aim with the fence is to keep our dogs in. And keeping unwanted critters out. At the best possible price  :peepwall:

The back fence that I built 6 months ago using new planks already has around 5mm gaps between the planks, but only the smallest of snakes can get in through there. Anything else has to come over the top. And to prevent that I have an evil plan for the future using that Pet Electric fence I have lying around  8)  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7026 on: March 19, 2019, 02:14:51 am »
So the lady who lives across the street went to the Daytona Bike Week.

Both of the last two weekends. With her boyfriend, he has a Harley. We were asked to look after her dog, Jasper.

She got back yesterday afternoon, and to thank us for taking care of Jasper she got Mrs Zog and I each a t-shirt.

Mine is black. I like it  :biggrin:

Oh, and the lady across the street says there was boob-painting, naked coleslaw wrestling, and wet t-shirt competitions... Maybe I should go next year  :deal: and get pics for the WD's... just to share with y'all you understand...  :3some:   not because of any other reason  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7027 on: March 19, 2019, 02:23:22 am »
naked coleslaw wrestling, and wet t-shirt competitions... Maybe I should go next year  :deal: and get pics for the WD's...

Sure, awesome! I'd love to see you and some hot biker dude do some naked coleslaw wrestling. I'll take pics for the WDs.

I'm sure that's what you had in mind, right?  :biggrin:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7028 on: March 19, 2019, 02:37:17 am »
You could always just get some of these helmet stickers:

They are available from https://www.iloveboobies.co.za/shop/

PS:  iloveboobies.co.za is a breast cancer awareness organisation.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:38:41 am by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7029 on: March 19, 2019, 02:41:00 am »
naked coleslaw wrestling, and wet t-shirt competitions... Maybe I should go next year  :deal: and get pics for the WD's...

Sure, awesome! I'd love to see you and some hot biker dude do some naked coleslaw wrestling. I'll take pics for the WDs.

right   :peepwall:  :imaposer:

eish  :lol8:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7030 on: March 19, 2019, 02:41:52 am »
You could always just get some of these helmet stickers:

They are available from https://www.iloveboobies.co.za/shop/

PS:  iloveboobies.co.za is a breast cancer awareness organisation.

I love them too  :biggrin:   

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7031 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:42 am »
Fence is taking shape Gary, looking good.

I have seen some YouTube about Dytona bike week and it is amazing to see all thos pimped cruisers with the huge front wheels and so on.
They really go BIG on this one!

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #7032 on: March 19, 2019, 02:57:37 pm »
no carrots in the coleslaw Gary :deal:

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #7033 on: March 19, 2019, 10:15:25 pm »
 :imaposer:

:imaposer:
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7034 on: March 20, 2019, 02:04:22 am »
I searched "coleslaw wrestling" on youtube…

I dunno if I can ever stomach coleslaw again  :eek7:  :peepwall:

I got off work a tad earlier than usual today. It was a cool and rainy day, we have had just over an inch of rain in the last 24 hours. At home I got to work and got the rest of the front fence down. I also confirmed that the old fence posts on that section don't have concrete holding them in. I managed to pull one out, and break another off just below ground level. I will dig a hole alongside the one at the repaired section of fence and concrete a new post in, then using extra long screws I will "buddy" it with the old one.

But that will only happen either Friday evening, or Saturday morning. I need to get paid on Friday first before I can buy more supplies.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7035 on: March 25, 2019, 02:50:49 am »
Fence feedback...

So the fence post that I managed to break off just below ground level had a massive concrete base that I needed to dig out  :xxbah:

But I got it out, and another one that came out in pieces. But let me start at the beginning...

Friday evening after work I stopped off at Home Depot and picked up the 4 fence posts and 4 bags of concrete that I needed. Offloaded them at the side of the house ready for Saturday morning.

Saturday morning at 7 I started digging holes. As mentioned above, two of the holes had concrete in them that was a bitch to get out. But I got the 4 holes dug, and the 4 fence posts planted with their concrete bases. Then I loaded up the rest of the old fence posts and panels and shit onto the trailer. I used the lawn tractor to pull the heavy trailer around to in front of my workshop, then I started to pull down the stoep / porch at the back of the workshop.

I knew that the porch was rotten, I had propped the roof up with a couple of 2x4's a while ago. But I didn't realise just how rotten it was! I started by lifting the tar shingles off the top (they are very heavy) then pulled off the plywood under the shingles. The roof frame was falling down in pieces, and the pillars fell over when the frame was removed. It most certainly would not have survived the next big storm, let alone a hurricane!

So taking it down was relatively easy. I loaded all the bits onto the trailer as well, and strapped it all down. Then I took it all to the County Landfill in Cocoa, a 75 Mile round trip. The little trailer was a bit overloaded, so I took it slow, only 60mph on the highway, more than that and the trailer started fishtailing. I arrived at the landfill at 2pm, and it took me 15 minutes to get all the kak off the trailer. It's amazing the stuff that people throw away there, the guy in front of me was dumping a boat!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7036 on: March 25, 2019, 03:05:13 am »
On the way home from the landfill I stopped at the Home Depot and bought the 2x4's and the fence planks I needed for the job. I also picked up a small box of long screws for attaching the 2x4's to the fence posts, as I was out of them.

Back home I measured and pre-cut the 2x4's because I wanted to make an early start the next morning, and starting up the chop-saw would wake the neighbours. Then I properly secured the end of the workshop so that Maggie couldn't crawl in under there and get her ass stuck... it's amazing how many roots and shit I had to dig out from under where the porch was. And the plastic cross-fencing that I used to secure the bottom of the shed came from an old section of fencing that was already here. I dug it down about 18 inches (45cm) just to be sure that the little digger couldn't get in under there.

This morning (Sunday) I was up bright and early and watched the sun come up with a cup of coffee. Then around 7am I started screwing the 2x4's to the fence posts, then I attached the planks to the 2x4's. You'll notice that I have 3 cross beams at the sides, but only 2 in the middle. That is because the middle will be removed again at some stage to become a gate when I have the money for the gate hardware (galvanised hinges etc). In the meantime it is just keeping the dogs in. I need to put a gate in because the septic tank is in the back on that side and when we need to get it pumped they'll need the access.

I finally got the fence finished, then I took down the temporary fence behind it. Dumped all the materials in the back in my woodpile that still needs to get sorted out. Another job for another day...  8)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7037 on: March 25, 2019, 03:14:20 am »
After lunch Maggie was in one of her moods, attacking and killing her stuffed squirrel, rolling on her back like a cat with the squirrel in her paws  :imaposer:

I will give the fencing jobs a break now for a few weeks. The entire east side fence needs the same treatment as the west fence, but I'm pretty done with fencing for now.

My next project will be to build a ramp up to the door of the workshop so that I can wheel stuff into it and out, and I also plan to put my Jon boat inside the workshop when the hurricanes come to keep it safer. And I want to fit the big canopy / hurricane shutter that I salvaged from the old place over the door so that I can keep the doors open for ventilation while working even when it's raining. I'll post the progress of that project on here as it happens.

This afternoon I did the weed eating, and mowed the grass. Then I put the sprinklers out to water the garden. While I relaxed with a cold beer  :biggrin:

Thanks for reading y'all  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 03:18:59 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7038 on: March 25, 2019, 04:47:00 am »
That fence looks good :thumleft:
Here it is mowing, fix mower mow again! :peepwall:
The rot is the problem with all the timber used your side.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7039 on: March 25, 2019, 06:52:50 am »
Looks really neat. You've probably doubled the value of your property by now :deal:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase