Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 922499 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7300 on: June 01, 2019, 02:53:48 pm »
Mr Zog, as a man who fixes stuff... and has a ride-on mower, I thought you would find this video interesting:

AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7301 on: June 02, 2019, 03:55:07 am »
Mr Zog, as a man who fixes stuff... and has a ride-on mower, I thought you would find this video interesting:

Very interesting, and enlightening video. I'll have to check my mower to see if it is designed in the same way...  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7302 on: June 02, 2019, 03:57:26 am »
Gary you and the missed progress in the States us an awesome read of success. Shows you, they say you cant keep a good man down but obviously that goes for the missus as well :thumleft:

My son will soon be off to the States, somewhere North of Texas on a farming contract and my application is also in with 2 x companies. I got feedback last night saying that the farmers prefer young men and it is late in the season but they will lookout for me, maybe 2020. The other agency dont look for a farmer but farmers visit their website and scan the profiles. I would so love to get an opportunity, and maybe I'll be able to visit house Zog at the end of the stund for a week. Been years!!

Great weekend to you all!!

Thanks for the kind words Tom. I will be holding thumbs for you getting a contract in the US. I know that if you just get a chance you will prove your worth and the farmer / employer will keep you coming back.  :thumleft:

And you are always welcome at Casa Zoggie  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7303 on: June 02, 2019, 04:17:52 am »
I took it a bit slower today.

Woke up early as usual, and let the dogs out for their morning pee. Then sat watching the squirrels with coffee for about two hours  :eek7:  :imaposer:

Mrs Zog went off to the shops to get a few things, and I took it slow, just did a bit of tidying up. When she was back I went off to drop off some stuff with a buddy that is flying to SA next week, he will carry the stuff to SA then drop it off at a PostNet for me. His wife was out of town for the weekend, and we ended up chatting for over an hour.

Then I stopped off at a place called "Habitat for Humanity". It's basically a charity shop, but they sell used and excess building materials as well as furniture and other stuff. I wanted to look at their hurricane shutters. I saw the shutters, they do have a whole lot, but right now I'm just a little cash-strapped. But I did find a very old Black & Decker drill bit sharpener for $5.  :biggrin:

After H for H, I went past Home Depot and picked up a few things I needed for my Job in Bartow on Monday, and I also grabbed 3 planks. They were 8 feet long, 2 inches thick, and 8 inches wide...  Back home I cut them all in half, and after a bit of carpentry, I had rebuilt the seats and table of our "inherited" picnic bench. The old seats and table top had warped very badly, and were really looking bad. Now the table has a new lease on life, and looks great too. (I'll get pics tomorrow). All for the princely sum of $25 for the wood.  O0  (those tables sell for around $300 new  :eek7: 0

Then I did the weed eating (I mowed earlier in the week) and buried the power cord for the plastic pool pump under the grass so I wouldn't have to move it each time I mowed.

Finally I turned in another ground anchor next to my workshop. I'll attach straps to them when the next hurricane comes to help stop the shed blowing away. Just a few more to do, it's pretty strenuous work in the heat and sun screwing them deep into the ground  :peepwall:

Then I chilled in the pool for a while, until the first lightning strike  :patch:  A big storm rolled in, the first rain in weeks, and it was most welcome. The temp dropped imediately, and now (almost 22h30) the noise of the frogs outside is almost deafening  :imaposer:

Tomorrow morning I MAY go fishing for a bit, will just depend on how I feel when I wake up. Right now my back is very stiff and sore, and I'm pretty tired too. But I know that after the good rains the bass will be hitting hard in the C54 canal where the storm water drains flow in  :deal:

Oh, and I tested the drill bit sharpener, it works! I even found the old warranty card in the bottom of the original box, it was purchased by the original owner on Jan 14, 1974  :eek7:  I looked online to see if I could find a replacement stone wheel for it, but they are completely discontinued. So I guess that when this stone finally dies that will be it. Finish and klaar...  :lol8:

Thanks for reading  :thumleft:

Online Ganjora

« Reply #7304 on: June 02, 2019, 05:18:58 am »
No, thank you for posting.
 :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7305 on: June 02, 2019, 12:24:00 pm »
No, thank you for posting.
 :thumleft:

+1  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Pilchie

« Reply #7306 on: June 02, 2019, 08:21:44 pm »
yip, I click on this threat 1st - thanks for posting
May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7307 on: June 03, 2019, 03:36:52 am »
Right, some pics for y'all  :biggrin:

First up is the drill bit sharpener I picked up, and the warranty registration form that I found in the box showing the first date of purchase

Then the rain gauge this morning, quite a storm last night, but the garden loved it I'm sure  :thumleft:

And then the picnic bench that I restored  :sip:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7308 on: June 03, 2019, 03:58:42 am »
This morning I started off by getting up on the roof and putting down several feet of roof repair tape.

Nope, I didn't go fishing  :(

There were just a couple of drops of water that came through the porch roof last night, so I decided that it took priority. I found a couple of spots that may have been the culprit, and sealed them up good. I also repaired the gutter that was hanging at the wrong angle, keeping water inside it instead of letting the water run along and down the downspout. Even though I was up there before 8am, it was already hot as blazes, and humid as heck, so by the time I was done I needed to put a dry t-shirt and shorts on.  :o

Then I went around and checked all the attachment points for the hurricane shutters. Many were badly rusted, and some were loose, so all those that needed work got replaced. And this is where the fly got into the ointment...

While testing them I found that when they were installed the installer never put a "spacer" between the mounting bracket and the wall, so when closing the shutters the top corners were digging into the faux shutters at the sides of the windows, damaging them, and the stay-poles were also digging into the window frame trims and making holes in them  :eek7:

So after seeing the problem I decided that the best (read cheapest  :peepwall: ) solution would be to remove each mounting bracket and install a piece of 2x4 as a spacer. So I measured up each window, and went off to the trusty Home Depot and bought the right number of pressure treated 2x4's. Back home I cut them each to the correct length, chamfered the corners, gave them each a light sanding, and then painted them on all sides to try and make them last as many years as possible.

I left them to dry properly, I'll get to actually installing them the next opportunity I get. Probably over the course of several evenings or next weekend.

While at Home Depot I also grabbed a plastic garden hose holder for the garden hose at the side of the house. I already have one for the hose attached to the well pump, but that water is not suitable for stuff like washing cars, the water has so many minerals in it that it leaves horrible white stains on the paint and the windows. So I put a spare hose on the treated water tap that I can use for washing cars etc. Now that hose can also hang neatly against the side of the house and not lie in the mud on the ground.  :thumleft:

Some pics of the problems I found with the shutters...

And the 2x4's painted and waiting for installation

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7309 on: June 03, 2019, 04:05:39 am »
Maggie spent a lot of time "hunting" in my workshop today.

But by late afternoon she was pretty hot and worn out, so she collapsed on a chair that I placed where she could still watch the squirrels and get some of the afternoon breeze as it came through  :biggrin:

Late this afternoon I saw a Cardinal (red bird) bathing in the bird bath! But unfortunately before I could get the proper camera (too far for a cell pic) it was done and had left. But he was really having fun, spraying water everywhere! Lovely!

Tomorrow morning I am up very early again, 4am, to leave home by 4:30, so I can get to the shop and leave for Bartow by 5am. It's going to be another two days of very hot and sweaty work in the construction site  :o

See y'all when I get back  :thumleft:

Thanks for reading  :ricky:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7310 on: June 03, 2019, 07:06:42 am »
Nice man!

Just a question - your bench looks good now but I notice you guys don't paint or varnish the wood (like we tend to do here in SA). You just leave it to age naturally - doesn't it rot sooner that way? I realise the wood is treated but still - just wondering?
Eat life!

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #7311 on: June 03, 2019, 09:17:38 am »
That table/bench that you fixed.  You have taken the sharp corners off.  Nice work. 

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7312 on: June 04, 2019, 02:53:35 am »
I'm back  :biggrin:

I left home at 04:30 this morning, and left the shop at 5 in my van. I got to the jobsite in Bartow at 07:15, and found that only around three quarters of the work that was supposed to have been done so that I could get busy with the second phase of my job was done.

So I did everything that I could, had a short break at 12 for a sandwich, and finished off at 5pm. Then drove home, arriving here at 7:30pm.

I was ripe... very very smelly  :o   It was hot as hell in Bartow, over 100 degrees F. When I got into the van a few minutes before 5 to start it up and get the AC running so long while I loaded up my tools it was still 100 degrees (38 deg C)  :o   My shirt was soaked, and it looked like I pee'd in my jeans  :peepwall: :imaposer:

Anyways, I'll be heading back again next Monday. Eish.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7313 on: June 04, 2019, 03:01:55 am »
Nice man!

Just a question - your bench looks good now but I notice you guys don't paint or varnish the wood (like we tend to do here in SA). You just leave it to age naturally - doesn't it rot sooner that way? I realise the wood is treated but still - just wondering?

Good question TeeJay. I could paint it, but I'd have to buy outdoor paint in a colour Mrs Zog approves of. Leaving it natural looks good (in my opinion) and because it has been pressure treated it shouldn't get attacked by bugs. The sun will fade it to gray, but that's also ok. Pressure treated lumber does seem to resist rot a whole lot better than untreated wood. Just look at the fence planks I reused, they are probably 20 years old, but still ok-ish.  :thumleft:

That table/bench that you fixed.  You have taken the sharp corners off.  Nice work. 

Thanks tokkie  :thumleft:   I have walked into the sharp corners of tables before and had the bruises... I didn't want that to happen here  :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7314 on: June 04, 2019, 06:34:55 am »
I have walked into the sharp corners of tables before and had the bruises... I didn't want that to happen here  :ricky:
...especially if the tables are testicle height !  :'(

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #7315 on: June 04, 2019, 01:40:46 pm »
I have walked into the sharp corners of tables before and had the bruises... I didn't want that to happen here  :ricky:

The voice of experience perhaps...?
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7316 on: June 04, 2019, 05:11:07 pm »
Not experience... ::)

foresight !

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7317 on: June 05, 2019, 04:10:17 am »

The voice of experience perhaps...?

I did a quick check this afternoon. The table is about 4 inches lower than testicle height.  :deal:

.........when I am wearing pants  :peepwall: ... the older generation will know how things drop as we age... so Fudmuckers observation would be spot-on  :thumleft:

Not experience... ::)

foresight !

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7318 on: June 05, 2019, 04:33:42 am »
Some of you who know me will remember that I restored a 1981 Honda XL500S years ago back in SA.

I built the bike to be ridden, and I rode it. Mostly on the back wheel  :peepwall:  :imaposer:  but I even did a very lekker trip with a bunch of WD's from Pretoria down to Waterval Boven along the train lines. And back. I attended many "Friday morning coffee" gatherings in Pretoria too, and met many different WD's that way. I love that bike, and I was pretty devastated when I left SA because there was no way I would be able to bring it to the USA.

I left the bike with Runner and asked him to sell it for me. Luckily for me Runner is a kak salesman, as the bike didn't get sold. I say luckily, because a friend of mine offered me a place in a container he was shipping from SA to the USA. So fast forward about a year, and the XL arrived in Arizona.

The original plan was for Mrs Zog and I to take a road trip with my bakkie to Arizona to collect the bike, but unfortunately that had to take a back seat when we got hit with several unexpected expenses.

So Yuri (my friend in Arizona) decided that he would ship the bike to me in Florida at his expense. His excuse is that he needs the space in his garage... I think it's just that he is a fucking big softy with a heart of gold.

Today he sent me these pics of the bike being loaded by the shipping company. It should be here in about a week or so.

Shit guys & girls. I almost cried when I saw that boney. For someone who has ridden bikes since the age of 13, not having a bike has been pretty harsh. But there is just no way I can justify buying a bike over here, there are way too many other much more important things to spend my (very) hard earned cash on. Like food and making the house safe in case of a hurricane etc.

I'm like a little boy waiting for Father Christmas to come  :drif:

Dankie Yuri, you are a truly good guy  :thumleft: :ricky:

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7319 on: June 05, 2019, 05:18:48 am »
Nice to hear about the bike finally making it to you! :thumleft:
I can appreciate your viewpoint of other things taking priority over your bike.
I am pleasantly surprised with what you have achieved since moving to the USA.
Dakar 650
SR 500