Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 947562 times)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8060 on: September 22, 2019, 04:18:18 pm »
 another Nissan van.

What engine/gearbox?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8061 on: September 23, 2019, 01:54:05 am »
another Nissan van.

What engine/gearbox?

Chris, I believe that it is a V6, and it has an auto box.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8062 on: September 23, 2019, 01:55:57 am »
Great work, Mr Zog... you could do fitting out of vans as a side-line !  :thumleft:

So who gets to benefit from your handiwork - Boss Man or New Guy?  :sip:

Well, I benefit from the overtime. 9 hours of it  :biggrin:

The new guy benefits, he gets a lekker van to go out and do work in.

The boss benefits, new guy brings in more money for the company.

I guess we all win  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8063 on: September 23, 2019, 02:03:06 am »
Just another Sunday...

Mowed the grass, did the weed eating. I bought a different head for the weed eater, it has steel blades for cutting heavy grass and brush. I went along the outside of the fence and cut back some of the grass and brush that was encroaching towards our fence. Now I can get the mower down there much easier. I even cut the path wider too. Just neatens stuff up a lot more.

I also spent time this afternoon re-packing my fishing boxes. Sorted out stuff, tidied it all up, left stuff out that shouldn't be in there, added some stuff that did need to be in there... now I just need to get out on the water again sometime  :peepwall:

I also took off the straps that hold down the roof of the house and the workshop. Now I suppose that we will get another hurricane coming along...  :pot:  :peepwall:

The dogs are pooped, they have also had a busy weekend. After supper Maggie fell asleep on the back of the sofa in the Florida room, Sammy just collapsed on the carpet in the hallway. Very soon daddy will also collapse into his bed. :bueller:

I believe that it's a long weekend in SA? Well then, all of you that have a long weekend, enjoy  :thumleft:

Thanks for reading :biggrin:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8064 on: September 23, 2019, 02:09:51 am »
Tuesday is a public holiday.  ;D
In typical South African tradition, Monday is an essential leave day to create a long weekend.  ;)
Schools are on holiday for a week or so.  :sip:

PS - I just watched a National Geographic program on the sinkhole phenomenon in Florida.
It seems that large scale pumping of ground water is causing caverns in the underlying limestone
causing collapse of the overlying clay soil.  One woman was walking in her yard when a hole 2' wide x 8'deep simply opened up under her.
Another man died when the floor to his bedroom collapsed in the middle of the night into a sinkhole.
The house plus the one on either side were deemed unsafe and demolished.

I got the screaming heebeejeebies seeing 3 cave divers submerge themselves into the network of caverns underneath a residential area.
Darkness, submerged, some really small spaces and limited air...   :eek7:
No thank you!  :o
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:26:49 am by Fudmucker »
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #8065 on: September 23, 2019, 02:14:16 am »
another Nissan van.

What engine/gearbox?

Two engine options:

4.0-LITER DOHC 24-VALVE V6 ENGINE
261 HP @ 5,600 RPM
281 LB-FT TORQUE @ 4,000 RPM
5speed auto on newer M.Y. Vans.

5.6-LITER DOHC 32-VALVE V8 ENGINE
375 HP @ 5,800 RPM
387 LB-FT TORQUE @ 4,000 RPM
7-speed auto on newer M.Y. Vans

Both have proven to be of robust design though Nissanís fuel efficiency with these two engines lag behind competitors such as Toyota, GM, Ford, and Honda.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:16:21 am by big oil »
Iím da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8066 on: September 23, 2019, 03:05:49 am »
another Nissan van.

What engine/gearbox?

Two engine options:

4.0-LITER DOHC 24-VALVE V6 ENGINE
261 HP @ 5,600 RPM
281 LB-FT TORQUE @ 4,000 RPM
5speed auto on newer M.Y. Vans.

5.6-LITER DOHC 32-VALVE V8 ENGINE
375 HP @ 5,800 RPM
387 LB-FT TORQUE @ 4,000 RPM
7-speed auto on newer M.Y. Vans

Both have proven to be of robust design though Nissanís fuel efficiency with these two engines lag behind competitors such as Toyota, GM, Ford, and Honda.

Thanks BO  :thumleft:

I believe that our vans have the 4.0 liter engines...

When I first got my new van I thought it was a V8 because it pulled so good and sounded amazing, but at the first oil change the dude told me it was a 6 cylinder.

At 60MPH on the interstate I can put my foot down and she gets up and GOES! (of course I don't drive faster than the posted speed limit  :peepwall: )

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8067 on: September 23, 2019, 09:57:00 am »
Zog are you know 100% adapted to driving on the wrong side and getting in on the wrong side of a vehicle?
Had a friend in Texas that would still after being there years walk to the right side of the vehicle before realizing he's made a mistake. :lol8:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8068 on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:19 pm »
Zog are you know 100% adapted to driving on the wrong side and getting in on the wrong side of a vehicle?
Had a friend in Texas that would still after being there years walk to the right side of the vehicle before realizing he's made a mistake. :lol8:

:imaposer: I can relate, but like I said the other day driving is much calmer in the states. People are not impatient nor aggressive and the shared left turn lane is just the best thing since sliced bread as well as yield and drive on a red right turn robot or like they call it here traffic light  :)

The following users thanked this post: Appel

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #8069 on: September 23, 2019, 06:00:53 pm »
The left hand drive thing must take a lot of getting used to!
I bought a vehicle the other day, luckily only to strip for spares, but it is left hand drive and I went to the wrong side everytime I had to drive it! :imaposer: :imaposer:
It is actually sad to tear such a nice car to pieces, but it is giving two vehicles a new lease on life!
I read about your vehicles with their big engines and am jealous as here we just could not afford to run such a vehicle for commercial purposes.
Enjoy the power!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #8070 on: September 23, 2019, 06:40:19 pm »
Iíll be in the USA for 5 weeks in December... going to be using my momís Toyota ... going to be very weird driving on the ďwrongĒ side of the road and car.

It will be an experience for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8071 on: September 23, 2019, 06:46:27 pm »
Iíll be in the USA for 5 weeks in December... going to be using my momís Toyota ... going to be very weird driving on the ďwrongĒ side of the road and car.

You will find out a man feels very uncomfortable having his left elbow out the window......................it feels plain wrong!! :o
If youre a smoker even worse, try smoking with the left hand if you have never done so!!
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8072 on: September 24, 2019, 03:43:13 am »

Chris, I think I am 99% there  :peepwall:

Driving on the right side of the road comes naturally now. But sometimes, especially when I am tired, I still reach for the door on the right to get in and drive  :lol8:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8073 on: September 24, 2019, 03:44:25 am »

It's not that difficult. Just concentrate a bit harder in the beginning and you'll be fine  :thumleft:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8074 on: September 24, 2019, 03:52:47 am »
So today was the Fall Equinox

The leaves on our bigger tree are already falling, and we haven't had any rain to speak of in over a week. The grass was looking decidedly dry this evening when I got home so I pulled out the sprinkler and gave it a good watering.

The days equal the nights now, and the nights will just continue to get longer. Early mornings have just a touch of coolness to them, but daylight temps are still in the mid to high 30's. Soon it will cool down enough for me to attempt to make biltong again  :drif:  In a couple of months we will hit daylight savings time again, then we'll be 7 hours after y'all. That means that I will get home well after dark again for a few months. Eish.

Righty-o then. It's just hit 10pm and I'm done. Bed time...  :P

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #8075 on: September 24, 2019, 08:04:46 am »
Good work on the van Mr Zog! One of these days you'll be the Fooze of vans!  :biggrin: :thumleft:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8076 on: September 25, 2019, 02:25:23 am »
Good work on the van Mr Zog! One of these days you'll be the Fooze of vans!  :biggrin: :thumleft:

LOL  :imaposer:  Chip Foose is a vehicular artist!

Today the new guy took his van out on his first solo job; he installed a new expansion tank on a geyser.  :deal:  :thumleft:

I went out to my last job today and re-did a leaking PVC joint that he had glued 2 weeks ago. I kept the leaking fitting, I'll give it to him tomorrow  :pot:  :imaposer:

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #8077 on: September 26, 2019, 09:06:06 am »
Weird how these longer nights screw with your (at least mine) motivation and drive.

When you hit it fully and itís still lights on in the car at 08.00 and by 3.00pm you have the lights on again.

Not my favourite time, and it gets chilly here too.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8078 on: September 26, 2019, 06:47:15 pm »
Weird how these longer nights screw with your (at least mine) motivation and drive.

When you hit it fully and itís still lights on in the car at 08.00 and by 3.00pm you have the lights on again.

Not my favourite time, and it gets chilly here too.

Agreed Grizz, but when I moved here, what I missed was those loooong Summer evenings you get, those Canadian winters etc, not sure how I would manage that.  8)
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8079 on: September 27, 2019, 02:48:41 am »
It's been an eventful day.

I left home at 6am in order to be at my first job up in Scottsmoore (about 70 Miles north) by 7:30. Got that one done, then drove another 70 miles south again to my second job. I did well over 200 miles driving today.

This morning I also received an email with a scan of the last document I needed for my citizenship application. The original will get to me in about 10 days when a friend who has travelled to SA for a week returns. I'll try get the online application in over the weekend...  :biggrin:

My friend travelling to SA also hand carried some documents for me that he will PostNet to another guy who will then try to obtain the duplicate registration certificate for the old Honda XL500S standing in my garage. When I get that I will hopefully be able to get it registered and licensed here...  :biggrin:

I was at Lowes (same as Home Depot, just blue signs instead of the orange of Home Depot) today picking up a plumbing part that I needed for a job when I saw a guy returning some vinyl plank flooring. We have carpets in our house, mostly, and they just don't handle the Florida heat and especially the humidity very well. Add to that two very active dogs that continually carry in mud and other stinky stuff... so bottom line is that the carpets will have to go. But replacing them with flooring is just way beyond the budget right now.

Anyways, I digress. The flooring that the dude was returning was all open boxes, but still all there and undamaged. Lowes was gonna take it back, but they would have a moerofa hard time selling it again, so they usually just either send it back, or put it in the dumpster... That's where I came in... I took a pic of the colour and sent it to Mrs Zog. She immediately agreed that it was perfect for our place. And it would be just enough for me to cover the lounge and passage (I hope). So I got busy. I asked the guy at Lowes if I could buy the flooring from him at a reduced price. The dude told me that they could not sell it as it was not sealed and therefore could not be warranteed. So I asked him what they were going to do with it. He told me that they would throw it in the dumpster. So I asked him if I promised not to tell anyone  ::)  if we could pretend my van was a dumpster?

The dude saw I was serious, but would not make that decision. He called his manager and asked him, and the manager agreed!!!! So I loaded twelve opened boxes of flooring into my van and took them home! Free, mahala, LEKKER!!!

Not so lekker is that now I will have to install the flooring. This weekend I am on standby, but hopefully I can make a start by removing the old carpeting and kickboards. And the small area or tiles at the front door.

Eish, sometimes a score can turn into a really big job for me  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

I'll post pics of the whole job as I go along.  :thumleft: