Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 987131 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8700 on: December 09, 2019, 02:24:39 am »
Sunday update.  :sip:

I defrosted the little bar-fridge in the Florida room. The tiny freezer compartment was completely iced up and the fridge was losing its effect. Sammy got to eat lots of snow-ice  :biggrin:  Now the fridge is working great again.  :thumleft:

The shower nozzle in the bathroom had slowed to a dribble. I tried to open it to clear it out, but it's a sealed unit and is not serviceable. This is a problem because we don't have a second shower, or a bathtub in the house. So Mrs Zog and I went off to Home Depot and got a new shower nozzle. This one even has different settings; spray, jet, massage, etc. I just took a shower under it and it's really noce to get a full flow of water again :ricky:

At Home Depot I also picked up a new blade and an air filter for the mower I was working on. I cleaned out the carb, checked all the moving bits, flushed out the fuel tank, cleaned the spark plug, washed the whole body off. But the old blade was bent, causing a massive vibration when running. After fitting the new blade ($17) it ran perfectly, I even ran a couple of laps over the lawn just to check. The self-propelled front wheels also worked perfectly. I have taken some pics and will put it up for sale on Craigslist. Unfortunately after researching this mower it's only around $200 new, so I'll probably only be able to sell it for around $100  :-\  Still, after the new blade and the air filter costs are taken out I should still make around $75  :ricky:

I also raked and blew all the leaves on the lawn. I filled up 3 big garbage bins that are now out on the street for the City to empty next week. The squirrels and birds have been fed with the new seed we bought last night.

Finally I grilled a couple of steaks on the gas braai for supper  :drif:   Mrs Zog made some fresh asparagus and some oven fries. Dinner was superb  :drif:

Now I'm enjoying a dop with Maggie on my lap fighting for her space with the laptop. Best I end this off and give her some love before she bliksems me  :peepwall: :imaposer:

Pics of the repaired mower...

And the new blade fitted underneath  :biggrin:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8701 on: December 09, 2019, 06:47:01 am »
You can try soaking the old shower unit in spirit vinegar - preferably warm.
If it is calcium buildup, any acid will clear it out.
Vinegar is usually the first try.
If not, diluted HCl pool acid works well if there are no metal bits to eat.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8702 on: December 09, 2019, 10:01:56 am »
Good job on that mower - hope you get it sold for a little Christmas bonus  :3some:

Are you allowed to make a braai fire there with wood or not? - if not wood - are you allowed to make it with charcoal?

Or do you just use the gas barbie cos it's easier and quicker?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:02:22 am by TeeJay »
Eat life!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8703 on: December 09, 2019, 03:51:19 pm »
TeeJay, yes, we are allowed to make a wood fire, lots of people have "fire pits" in their garden. Charcoal grilling is also fine.

We bought the gas grill on a clearance special at Home Depot a couple of years ago. We had a teeny tiny charcoal grill at the time that Mr. Zog had picked up on the side of the road somewhere and cleaned up, but it really was tiny. It was also rusting. So when we saw the gas grill on clearance we pounced.  ;D

We do have restrictions sometimes during the dry season when no open fires or even charcoal grilling is allowed because of sparks and fire danger. It depends on the drought index, and the local news keeps you updated on areas with restrictions.

Wet season for us generally is from late May to mid-October. The rest is dry season.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:02:21 pm by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8704 on: December 09, 2019, 03:55:37 pm »
Gary how does the drive to the front wheels work? By belt?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8705 on: December 09, 2019, 04:34:45 pm »
Thanks Mrs Zzzzz  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8706 on: December 10, 2019, 03:07:48 am »
You can try soaking the old shower unit in spirit vinegar - preferably warm.
If it is calcium buildup, any acid will clear it out.
Vinegar is usually the first try.
If not, diluted HCl pool acid works well if there are no metal bits to eat.

The casing is thin metal, but I'm guessing that the internals are all plastic and rubber.

I did consider just soaking it in vinegar for a bit, but the boss said she wanted a new one  :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8707 on: December 10, 2019, 03:15:49 am »
Gary how does the drive to the front wheels work? By belt?

Most work with a drive belt and a tensioner pulley activated by a lever on the handlebar  :thumleft:

The very fancy ones have a drive gear system and a clutch.  :deal:

This is not a very fancy one  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8708 on: December 10, 2019, 08:03:43 am »
Good work on the lawn movers Gary  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8709 on: December 11, 2019, 01:43:54 am »
Good work on the lawn movers Gary  :thumleft:

Thanks Tom  :thumleft:

Today at work I ran around like a mad man, lots of little jobs that didn't take much time, and then a water heater install that should have taken the whole afternoon. But I got it done in record time, 2 hours in-and-out.  :biggrin:  And that included making up a new electrical outlet in the garage for a colleague to be able to plug in the new water softener they were installing  :lol8:

So back at the shop I cleaned up my van, restocked the equipment I had used up, and clocked out  :eek7:  I only booked 7.5 hours work, but yesterday was 10 hours, so I'm fine with that.

Came home and chopped down the banana tree that has started dying since the little banana bunch sprouted. Not real edible banana's, just little "ornamental" bananas. I left the biggest side-sprout to see if it would grow up nice and big now.

I fed the squirrels and the birds, played with the dogs a bit, then sat down and chilled, watched the sunset with a dop :peepwall:

Tomorrow we may get some rain, but the winter temps right now are more like summer temps - shorts and t-shirt weather. I was actually sweating a lot this afternoon installing the water heater  :eek7:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8710 on: December 11, 2019, 09:19:24 am »
Cool man - life is allright hey!
Eat life!

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #8711 on: December 11, 2019, 10:29:24 am »
I just finish reading all 436 pages of this thread.
Well done to Mr and Mrs Zog for making the move, and starting a new life - lot's of respect for you guys  :thumleft:
You had me laughing, in tears at some stages, and in awe of how things work in Emerike  :laughing4:
One day you too will have the opportunity to read the whole story, and look back in thankfulness at how things worked out good through all the hard times.

Keep on Zogging, hou die blink kant bo  ;D
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

The following users thanked this post: Mr Zog

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #8712 on: December 11, 2019, 10:36:53 am »
Yes Bergie, I also read it all in one go! Makes for amazing reading! They should put it in book format....

Mr Zog, what happened to your old big boss and little boss? I might have missed it somewhere...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #8713 on: December 11, 2019, 12:27:27 pm »
HE has been at it for a looooong time
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8714 on: December 11, 2019, 06:29:55 pm »
Both of my clients renewed my contracts for 2020. There's no reason to think why they wouldn't (I've been with the one for 11 years and the other for 6 years), but it's always a relief. Continued income.  :)

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8715 on: December 11, 2019, 07:20:58 pm »
Both of my clients renewed my contracts for 2020. There's no reason to think why they wouldn't (I've been with the one for 11 years and the other for 6 years), but it's always a relief. Continued income.  :)

GONGRATS - good job! They obviously recognise quality when they see it.
Eat life!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #8716 on: December 11, 2019, 07:45:28 pm »

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline silvrav

« Reply #8717 on: December 11, 2019, 08:09:11 pm »

Congrats! Hopefully at a marginally hourly increase?

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8718 on: December 11, 2019, 08:30:46 pm »

Marginal, indeed. I get paid per page. One of them gave me a 5 cents per page increase. It's pretty meaningless - it'll come to about $5 more per week. Considering they cut my rate a few years ago by $2, I just feel mocked.  >:(

My friend said this morning, "that's trickle-down economics: by the time it gets to us, it's a trickle."  ;D

Offline silvrav

« Reply #8719 on: December 11, 2019, 08:38:43 pm »

Marginal, indeed. I get paid per page. One of them gave me a 5 cents per page increase. It's pretty meaningless - it'll come to about $5 more per week. Considering they cut my rate a few years ago by $2, I just feel mocked.  >:(

My friend said this morning, "that's trickle-down economics: by the time it gets to us, it's a trickle."  ;D

:imaposer: Going to use that on future - trickle economics.

I feel your pain. Here in NZ there also arent annual increases like we used to in SA. you one of the lucky one's if you get an annual increase.