Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1007619 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8860 on: January 21, 2020, 11:10:02 pm »
I got an automated phone call from Florida Power & Light, advising me that they will be operating drones in our neighborhood over the next 10 days to check the power lines before the next hurricane season starts. It said for people to please not "interfere" with the drones.

Reading between the lines, what they're really saying is, "Rednecks, please don't shoot at the drones."

;D ;D ;D

Very interesting to see where and how they are implementing these drones in the industrial sector. A fast growing market with endless possibilities.
I did watch the Spacex rocket launch on youtube as well, and excited about the new era - hope NASA get the funding they require to make this work!
Exciting times

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8861 on: January 21, 2020, 11:30:36 pm »
Next up in Zogland: Mr Zog builds a trebuchet... :imaposer:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8862 on: January 22, 2020, 03:50:57 pm »
'Falling iguana' alert issued in Florida due to cold temperatures: 'Don't assume that they're dead'

The National Weather Service in Miami has issued an unofficial warning for falling iguanas on Tuesday night due to the unusual cold snap that's hit the Sunshine State.

"This isn't something we usually forecast, but don't be surprised if you see Iguanas falling from the trees tonight as lows drop into the 30s and 40s," the weather service tweeted. "Brrr!"

"Iguanas are cold blooded. They slow down or become immobile when temps drop into the 40s. They may fall from trees, but they are not dead," the weather service said.

Once temperatures reach a certain level, iguanas stiffen up and fall out of trees, according to Chris Michaels, a meteorologist with WSLS-TV in Norfolk, Virginia, who said this is something that has been observed over the years in south Florida.

"At about 50 degrees, iguanas can become lethargic," Michaels said. "It’s when the temperature drops to about 40 degrees or lower that their blood doesn’t move around as quickly. As a result, they can stiffen up and fall out of the trees in which they frequent."

During a similar cold snap and iguana warning two years ago, well-meaning residents finding stiffened iguanas were advised to leave them alone, as they may feel threatened and bite once they warm up.

“Don’t assume that they’re dead,” Kristen Sommers, who oversees the nonnative fish and wildlife program for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, said in during the January 2018 cold spell.

Green iguanas are an invasive species in Florida known for eating through landscaping and digging burrows that undermine infrastructure.

A two-week cold snap with temperatures below 40 degrees in 2010 killed off many iguanas, along with Burmese pythons and other invasive pests that thrive in South Florida’s subtropical climate.

This week's cold snap should be short-lived, the weather service said, as temperatures are forecast to rebound into the mid-70s for highs in Miami by Thursday.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8863 on: January 22, 2020, 05:28:28 pm »
We don't have any iguanas here; they live more to the south, like Miami and the Keys. We saw lots of huge ones on our Keys trip last year. Here is a pic I took on the dock behind our hotel.

If one of those falls on your head, frozen stiff, that could really hurt.  ;D
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8864 on: January 22, 2020, 05:38:10 pm »
If one drop near me I'll probably kark myself... :o Vicious looking reptile  :lol8:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8865 on: January 22, 2020, 05:49:02 pm »
If one drop near me I'll probably kark myself... :o Vicious looking reptile  :lol8:

Good job Alligator's don't climb trees.  :biggrin:
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #8866 on: January 23, 2020, 05:20:05 am »

Good job Alligator's don't climb trees.  :biggrin:
If you're a evolusionist, you should add "yet" t the statement
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #8867 on: January 23, 2020, 08:14:15 am »
Think I must be part iguana.  :sip:  But not the tree climbing part.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8868 on: January 26, 2020, 07:10:08 am »
Where has Zog gone?  :peepwall:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8869 on: January 26, 2020, 01:57:35 pm »
Ja/Nee

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8870 on: January 26, 2020, 03:02:08 pm »
I think he took his box of tools down to that boardwalk to fix the loose planking
before someone trips over it and sues for a zillion dollars!  :sip:
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8871 on: January 27, 2020, 01:24:00 am »
I've been busy guys & girls...  :sip:

This week we had a nasty cold front move on through, with temps barely above freezing one morning. Accompanied by gale force winds and very cold rain, it was pretty unpleasant working outdoors. Because the last few weeks during Christmas and New Year had a bunch of holidays, and also because I took 2 days off to try and reset my batteries, my paycheck was abysmal. No work - no pay right?

So I've been hitting the work as hard as I could, trying to make up a bit. Long hours means very little motivation to still sit and type stories at night. Sorry guys.  :peepwall:

But the weekend came and went, and I did get a couple more projects taken care of.

Mrs Zog wanted a little shelf above the toilet cistern so she could put some stuff there. I found a pretty straight piece of solid wood (not plywood  :peepwall: ) in amongst my wood-stash, and used that to make the shelf she wanted. A lick of white paint finished it off nicely...

I had also scored a few more bits and pieces while driving around this week.

I got a very old Craftsman shrub-trimmer (electric) that works, barely. The casing is cracked, but hopefully I can "Macguyver" it with some superglue and baking soda...  We have one shrub in the front yard that I can use the trimmer on, so it will be great to get it working just right again.

Then I also scored a Ryobi electric pressure washer. Just missing the high-pressure pipe. I gave that a going-over and found that the "earth-leakage" plug at the end of the power cord kept tripping. So I opened the pressure washed up and checked all the connections and stuff. They all seemed fine... so I took a flyer and disconnected the power wires inside the pump and plugged the plug back in. It still kept on tripping... so then I knew it was the plug and not the pressure washer itself  :biggrin:

I had a spare power cord with one of those special plugs on it that I had salvaged from a fubar pressure washer a long time ago, so I removed the old cord and installed the salvaged one. Plugged it all in, and used the high-pressure pipe from my petrol-powered pressure washer to test the machine. It works perfectly! So I checked on Ebay and a new pipe is around $22, free shipping. So maybe when I get paid again in 2 weeks I'll buy a pipe and then advertise the pressure washer for around $70 (they are $120 new)

I then grabbed the best of the Ryobi weed eater heads. It was a good one, a full 30cc of power  :ricky:  and after a quick look I found that it needed a new priming bulb. Fitted one from my stash, cleaned out the carb, and it fired right up! Now this machine is a super nice machine, it has a half-shaft that you can attach different heads to it. I had scored a leaf-blower head this week (first time I have seen something like this!) and also the standard trimmer head. I had a edge-trimmer head in the shed that I had found some time ago that also fitted this machine. So I cleaned them all up, and tested them all, and now I have a nice "package deal" that I will advertise when spring comes around; weed eater, blower, edge trimmer (has a steel blade and a wheel for setting the cutting depth) for around $65.

After that I called it a day and relaxed with a beer. So now my stash of stuff waiting to be sold includes 3 lawn mowers, 2 weed eaters, and a pressure washer (when I get the pipe). I still have a full weed eater to redo, and two weed eater heads (one is pretty fubar, may just strip it for spares)

And then I have some brilliant news!!!

My son's granny (my ex MIL) will be bringing him out with her in June. The ex MIL will be visiting her sister and BIL in California, so a perfect chaperone for the laaitie. She booked the tickets already and I just need to give her the cash back when she lands here (it will be her spending money for her holiday). I am so happy... I finally have a date to look forward to again. Its already been more than a year since I have seen him, but just under 5 months to go  :ricky:

Thanks for reading y'all.... here is a pic of Maggie making sure that my workshop is "critter-free"  :lol8:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8872 on: January 27, 2020, 05:36:49 am »
Nice work on those weedeater jobbies  :thumleft:

Thanks for the update - good to see you're still alive  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #8873 on: January 27, 2020, 08:45:48 am »
Good on you for the news about little Zog :thumleft:

Funny how something like that can just lift your spirits right the hell up!  8)
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8874 on: January 28, 2020, 10:42:19 pm »
There was just a massive earthquake near Cuba (7.7).

Currently no tsunami warning for Florida but for a great part of the Caribbean, Mexico, and Honduras. Jamaica especially will get hit. The quake occurred on the south side of Cuba, so Cuba is basically blocking the waves from getting to us. Otherwise the Keys would be in deep trouble. They are only a few feet above sea level.

Remember, Cuba is only 50 miles from Florida (Key West).

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:11:53 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8875 on: January 29, 2020, 05:29:42 am »
Holy smokes - glad you guys will be okay  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8876 on: January 29, 2020, 06:33:51 am »
Looks like Cayman Islands and Jamaica are closest to the epicentre.
I hope the damage is not too great.  :eek7:
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8877 on: January 29, 2020, 06:35:52 am »
Looks like Cayman Islands and Jamaica are closest to the epicentre.
I hope the damage is not too great.  :eek7:
Horizontal movement apparently, very limited damage, no Tsunami :sip: 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:36:15 am by Welsh »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8878 on: January 29, 2020, 03:05:34 pm »
There was another big quake last night, off the Cayman Islands. Strong shaking but little damage. Both quakes were felt in Miami, too, also no damage there.  :thumleft:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8879 on: February 01, 2020, 01:54:37 am »
Another weekend lies ahead  :ricky:

But I'm on call this weekend, so no plans  :sip:

Americans have been mourning the death of Kobe Bryant killed in a helicopter crash. He was a big basketball star. It has been making bigger news here than the impeachment trial. And on Sunday is the Superbowl, I'm guessing it's something like the Currie Cup back in SA?  :peepwall:  At least rugby players have fitness and skill...  :pot:  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

I do want to try and make a custom shower head extension this weekend... the extension we currently have that holds the shower head is too low, I keep bumping my head against it  :dousing:

Sorry I don't have much more to add right now... work has kept me very busy this week.  :snorting:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.