Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1185052 times)

Offline thabogrobler

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9760 on: July 06, 2020, 10:06:04 pm »
This is the article.

1. What it looks like when I get an article for editing.

2. When I'm done with it.
Thus you are just a glorified spelling teacher with multicoloured highlighters? >:D

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9761 on: July 06, 2020, 10:34:35 pm »
Oh yeah, it's dead easy.  :biggrin:

No. Not really, actually. I need at least a basic working knowledge of what I'm editing. Every journal comes with what's called a "style guide." These style guides are hundreds of pages long.  They have "rules" for editing for that specific journal. For example, things like "follow Nucleid Acids Research nomenclature for restriction enzymes." So I have to be able to identify restriction enzymes in the text and make sure they're styled correctly (for example, EcoRI is correct, most authors write it as EcoRI). There are guidelines for all kinds of things: cells (HeLa, not Hela cells), DNA, mutants, amino acid sequences, nucleotides, checking equations and reactions...  ::)

Although it's not strictly required, you have a great advantage if you know the subject you're editing. You could, in theory, edit by looking everything up in the style guide, Wikipedia, etc. But it's not really practical. I have a pretty solid grounding in biochemistry and molecular biology, which helps a lot. I'm starting to branch out now into other areas of science, such as astrophysics, energy science, and engineering, and I'm a lot slower there because I never studied that stuff. I'm learning, though.  :thumleft:

This is a pretty typical article for the journal Cell.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:41:37 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #9762 on: July 07, 2020, 07:18:22 am »

This is a pretty typical article for the journal Cell.

The following users thanked this post: BigEd

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9763 on: July 07, 2020, 07:48:59 am »
Clever chicks are sexy...!  ;)
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9764 on: July 07, 2020, 12:51:24 pm »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9765 on: July 07, 2020, 02:07:28 pm »
I'm a big fan of Strange Planet by Nathan W. Pyle (https://www.nathanwpyle.art/), so Mr. Zog got me this last year, when I was going through a rough patch with work...  ;D

Online RobbieJZW

« Reply #9766 on: July 07, 2020, 06:07:16 pm »
That is such a cool mug Mrs Zog! I got myself his first book when I was going through a tough patch myself and it was well worth the $15 odd I paid for it! I think I just “get” his humour.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9767 on: July 08, 2020, 03:32:24 am »
And I'm just a dumb plumber  :peepwall:

I meant to post earlier, but stuff happened.  :lamer:

Friday I was off, and I did a whole lot of work on the Jon boat, finally got it done, finished, by around 7pm. So I loaded it up with the basics and pulled it around the side of the house for the Morning. Saturday morning I took it off to Lake Washington for a test run, and a bit of a fishing session. Fresh water, so I was going for Bass.

I couldn't stay out too long, Mrs Zog wanted me home for lunch. But it was long enough for me to see that the boat was now almost dry, somewhere I still have a very minor leak, but literally only a tiny bit. I also found a few issues that I needed to sort out, like lowering the transponder for the fish finder a few millimeters, and raising the frame around the engine about 35mm so the engine would clear it it properly.

I also found out that the center console that I built worked really well, but it highlighted a problem as well...  The Jon boat is very narrow, it's only 3 feet (90cm) wide at the bottom, and this means that it lists side-to-side very easily. Moving past the center console means that the list is pretty bad, with only about 2 inches (50mm) of freeboard (height between the top of the side of the boat and the water surface). This means that in rougher water, of if I slip a little bit, the water will stream in over the side of the boat and then it will go down.

But I was still happy enough with the result that I sorted out the minor issues, and prepared it for a "proper" fishing trip on Sunday morning. We had a very big storm Saturday evening, almost 2 inches of rain, so I had put the cover on the boat. Sunday morning at 5 I was up, made coffee, took the cover off the boat, filled up the fuel tank from a jerrycan in my garden shed, hooked it up and set off for the Sebastian River. For those that have forgotten, the Sebastian River is a tidal river / lagoon that feeds into the Indian River lagoon.

My first sign that this wasn't going to be a good days fishing was when the bait shop was out of live shrimp and Pinfish. They only had mud minnows and fiddler crabs, neither are much good. But I got a dozen of each anyway, and headed off to the launch. I took the boat all the way down the Sebastian River, and under the bridge for US1, and into the Indian River Lagoon. The water out there is much rougher, but the fishing is much better. But the water was a bit rough, and the wake from all the bigger boats was causing the little Jon boat to start taking a few drops of water over the sides. So I turned it right around and headed back into the calmer waters of the river.

I fished in several spots, none of them giving me any luck. Finally I was back up into the upper reaches of the river again when I finally got a good strike on a surface lure! The fish was big, VERY big, and I started getting very excited. The fish swam directly towards the boat, I was reeling like crazy to keep the line taught. Just as it got to the boat the fish broke the surface of the water.

It was a SHARK! A bigish one, about 5 feet long! I only saw it for a second, before it turned around very suddenly, and before I could release the drag some more it went off like a steam train, under the boat, snapping my rod in half and then cutting the line with its teeth. So I was out a fishing rod, and a Rapala lure  :eek7:  :xxbah:

Anyways, shit happens, I did have more than one rod on the boat... I eventually caught a catfish on a fiddler crab, but that was it. Around 2pm I noticed the clouds building up again, so I called it a day and headed back to the boat launch. I put the boat back onto the trailer and went home. Just in time, I hit a big thunderstorm with lightening on the way home. Back home I pulled boat into the yard, flushed the engine with fresh water, washed the salt water off the boat and the trailer, and got the covers on before round two hit. I was still pushing the boat into its spot when the heavens opened up again.

Seeing as I was already soaked, and the rain was nice and cool I pulled out the mower and started cutting the grass  :imaposer:  I got the back yard done, and most of the front when the lightening started again, so I parked the mower in the shed and called it a day.

So because of the rain and stuff I didn't get any of the planned pics of the finished boat for y'all  :peepwall:

Work has been hectic again this week, Monday we were 2 techs short, and today 1 tech short. So I was running myself ragged.

But I did come up with a solution to the boat listing so much...  :lol8:

I have saved several used water softener tanks the last few months. Today while at a plumbing supplier shop I found two 2.5 inch plugs with the correct thread to screw into the top of the softener tank, both cost me $5.25  :thumleft: Less than half what I would have paid at a regular outlet like Home Depot.  :deal:  On the way home I stopped off at the local tyre shop and enquired about "bolt-in" tyre valves. They took me out back into the workshop and found a couple still new in their box. Gave me the two I wanted, FREE!!!!

So... here is my evil plan to take over the world water; I will attach the valves to the 2.5 inch plugs, then screw the plugs into the softener tanks. Then I will inflate the tanks to around 20 - 30 psi to make them nice and firm and rigid. Then I will attach the tanks to the sides of the boat, sort of like outriggers, but against the sides of the boat. This should stop the rocking  :sip: :lol8:

Here is a pic of the two tanks selected randomly from my stash

And here are the two plugs, bolt-in tyre valves already fitted  :biggrin:

This is where the plug will screw into the tank

and the spec sheet sticker on the tank

As you can see, the pressure I will be adding to the tank is well within its limits. I will also give both tanks a coat of epoxy just to make sure that the wrapped fiberglass is properly sealed and secure, then I'll give them a coat of paint to better match the colour of the boat. Minor details like exactly how I am going to properly secure the tanks to the boat will be figured out later  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

So now a question for the clever okes; will the tank be more buoyant if I add more air (pressure)? If I just add say 10psi, then it will definitely work, but if I add 40psi, will it work better? My guess is that more air equals better buoyancy? Let me know please, I'm just a dumb plumber remember  :pot: :peepwall:

Thursday I am off to another dialysis clinic job, so will only be back home late Friday night. But this weekend I want to see how I will go about getting those softener tanks fitted to the boat  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9768 on: July 08, 2020, 07:46:46 am »
No, the bouyancy is directly a result of displacement of water, not air pressure.  :sip:
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #9769 on: July 08, 2020, 10:07:05 am »
No, the bouyancy is directly a result of displacement of water, not air pressure.  :sip:
Correct, the buoyancy is dependent on the depth at which the tanks sit in the water (the volume of water which is being displaced).
You don't have to "inflate" the tanks, they only need to be water tight  :thumleft:

The challenge will be to get the exact height at which to mount them relative to the free board, and if you want to be able to remove them, to have a sturdy mounting system.

PS: you are NOT a dumb plumber, I have seen your work  :deal:
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9770 on: July 08, 2020, 10:32:17 am »
Correct, the buoyancy is dependent on the depth at which the tanks sit in the water (the volume of water which is being displaced).
You don't have to "inflate" the tanks, they only need to be water tight  :thumleft:

The challenge will be to get the exact height at which to mount them relative to the free board, and if you want to be able to remove them, to have a sturdy mounting system.

PS: you are NOT a dumb plumber, I have seen your work  :deal:

Put removable cross members on and make like a trimaran, super stable.  :biggrin:
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #9771 on: July 08, 2020, 11:14:00 am »
First of all Congratulations to you and Mrs Zog on getting married!

Seriously! That was my dream the other night. Me and another Wild dog came to Florida to attend your wedding. a 5l bottle of JAck Daniels was $50 at the convenience store at the gas station. There was also an armed Marine guarding the pit latrine we had to use. (Like I said it was a dream)

About the boat and the stabilizers
I assume that they are going to "hang in the air" most of the time? If they are in the water they will increase drag by a huge amount. Also the boat will still tip until the stabilizer is sufficiently submerged to kick back and support the weight. My feeling is that this is not going to work as well as you hope. But seeing how realistic my dreams are......
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9772 on: July 08, 2020, 03:22:23 pm »
Working from home... it comes with personal lizard protection services.

The following users thanked this post: BigEd

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #9773 on: July 08, 2020, 03:24:55 pm »

Seriously! That was my dream the other night. Me and another Wild dog came to Florida to attend your wedding. a 5l bottle of JAck Daniels was $50 at the convenience store at the gas station. There was also an armed Marine guarding the pit latrine we had to use. (Like I said it was a dream)

I assume that they are going to "hang in the air" most of the time? If they are in the water they will increase drag by a huge amount. Also the boat will still tip until the stabilizer is sufficiently submerged to kick back and support the weight. My feeling is that this is not going to work as well as you hope. But seeing how realistic my dreams are......

But they are married, they both have the same surname, ZOG  :eek7:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9774 on: July 08, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »

Where's Maggie's sock ???
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9775 on: July 08, 2020, 03:47:37 pm »
But they are married, they both have the same surname, ZOG 

Have you never heard of renewing your vows?  ::) ::)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9776 on: July 08, 2020, 03:49:14 pm »

Where's Maggie's sock ???

Only in the evening, for an hour, to let the balm soak in, while she watches YouTube with Mr. Zog and he can keep her from pulling it off. The sock would not survive "daytime Maggie."

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #9777 on: July 08, 2020, 05:10:49 pm »

But they are married, they both have the same surname, ZOG  :eek7:
You dont seem to remember that dreams and reality are not necessarily related. Also you missed the point on how cheap booze is over there in dreamland
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #9778 on: July 08, 2020, 06:52:14 pm »
Those canisters are going to look like booster rockets
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9779 on: July 08, 2020, 07:23:46 pm »
Those canisters are going to look like booster rockets

Those cannisters would stabilise a much bigger boat than your Jonboat !

Here's a video on outriggers on a canoe to give you context and scale...

AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.