Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1237121 times)

Offline Herkules

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9820 on: July 18, 2020, 09:05:28 am »
 :sip: I was wondering if pvc piping of say 100 mm in diameter would not do the job? By cutting and gluing you can shape the front to look more or less like the front of the pontoons on the aircraft that lands on water. It will possible to glue a deflector on the front to prevent the water from being directed into the boat.
But you are there and saw what happened, and I am sitting here being a wiseass. :lol8:

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #9821 on: July 18, 2020, 12:53:54 pm »
I am just wondering, with those very nice WATERPROOF pontoons, why do you need the pool noodles / buoyancy at all?
Do I understand correctly that you want to place the buoyancy INSIDE the pontoons?
Even if they are open top, anything on the inside of a waterproof structure won't make a difference, other than adding s little bit of weight, and a second level of flotation should the pontoon start to leak.
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9822 on: July 19, 2020, 01:51:28 am »
This morning I decided to do something nice for myself and go to Rock City Gardens in Vero Beach. It's been on my to do list since we moved here. It's a nursery / botanical garden hybrid. If you know Safari nursery in Pretoria it's like that. Stuff for sale, landscaping supplies, but also a very nice place to relax and unwind and meander around the ponds, fountains, etc.

Last night I got an e-mail from them saying they are having a huge plant sale today, so I thought it would be a great time to go check it out. They advertised all hibiscus as BOGO (buy one, get one free), 99 cent herbs, and orphan plants they rescued and are looking for a home.

I got there and it was PACKED. I got there at 9, because online, they said they open at 9. But because of the sale, they opened at 8 today. I'd have gone a lot earlier if I'd known. There was no parking, it was full. I had to park in the adjacent shopping center in front of "Paul's Guns 'n Ammo." Unfortunately (or fortunately), it was closed.  8)

The garden was full. Full of old people. I think I was the only one there under 65. I asked the lady in the shop about face masks and she said normally not in the gardens, only in the shop, but because it was so crowded she told me I must wear a mask all the time, even when on the garden paths, because the old people get pissed off otherwise. Ok. Fine. True to her word, I took my mask off briefly to fan myself, it was disgustingly hot and humid at 9 am already, and two old farts were giving me the evil eye from 20 meters away.   >:(

I walked around a bit but I was really hot and uncomfortable. I picked up two beautiful hibiscuses (hibiscii?  ;D) because they were BOGO, and I got two 99 cent herbs - a lavender and a baby laurel tree. Hopefully I can use the leaves for cooking when it grows.

Then I left, having to schlep the plants across the parking lot and over to Paul's Guns 'n Ammo.

Ah well. I'll go again. When it's cooler. And not full of old farts.

Then tonight I made the fish tacos. They were spectacular. Unfortunately Mr. Zog wasn't enjoying them because he broke a tooth this morning. So off to the dentist he goes on Monday. God knows how much that will cost again.

I give up. Can we just go a month, just one, without Maggie or Mr. Zog having issues.

I've started drinking.

Good night.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9823 on: July 19, 2020, 02:44:02 am »
I am just wondering, with those very nice WATERPROOF pontoons, why do you need the pool noodles / buoyancy at all?
Do I understand correctly that you want to place the buoyancy INSIDE the pontoons?
Even if they are open top, anything on the inside of a waterproof structure won't make a difference, other than adding s little bit of weight, and a second level of flotation should the pontoon start to leak.

That is the reason for the second level of flotation  :deal:  :thumleft:

Some of the water that I take the boat into is very shallow, with exposed oyster beds at low tide. They are hard and sharp and could puncture the pontoons. I also go into some areas that most other boats can't get into, because the boat has a flat bottom and has a very shallow draught. In these areas there are submerged logs and stuff that could also puncture a pontoon.

Finally, my little boat has very little onboard flotation at all, just two sections of polystyrene under the benches. If the boat were to get swamped it could sink to the bottom (I also go out into some pretty deep water). The two pontoons will hopefully give it just enough additional flotations that should the boat get completely swamped with water that it may still float.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9824 on: July 19, 2020, 03:00:20 am »
Today I started off all ready and psyched to get the pontoons done.

I set up the pop-up gazebo outside the workshop so I could sand out there without getting the workshop all covered in a layer of dust.

Then the phone rang.

I had to go to work.  :xxbah:

Turned out to be a big job, so I was gone until lunch time. Mrs Zog had brought home a sarmie when she returned from her visit to the old folks resort nursery, and biting into it I broke off a tooth right at the gum.  :eek7:

Yup, I have bad teeth. I was able to fish out a second loose sliver with a toothpick, and that made it feel better. Thank goodness the tooth has already had a root-canal done, so no blinding pain, just a dull ache. I'll get the dentist to just pull the root out and be done with it. The cost of dental work here is fucking staggering...  :xxbah:

Finally got going on the pontoons, but the heat was already oppressive, so it was slow going. But I did get the second one's angles cut and the front and back ends epoxied and fiberglassed in.

I also made a pot-plant stand for Mrs Zog from a water heater stand that I had scored, I sanded it down and gave it a coat of paint, then I cut a round disc of marine ply, sanded that and gave it a good coat of polyurethane varnish to protect it from spilled water. When it was dry I used a coulple of bolts to attach the wood to the frame. I'll get pics tomorrow, it will support the weight of a very heavy pot plant, it supported the weight of a 50 gallon water heater in its previous life  :imaposer:

Then as I came inside for supper the phone rang again. Another call-out.  :xxbah:

So I waited until after the delicious fish tacos, then I went out again. When I finally got home at 8:15pm I was done. I locked up the workshop, had a shower, and came to tell y'all about it. I'll go to bed early tonight, I'm FUBAR. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a bit more done on my pontoons  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #9825 on: July 19, 2020, 07:17:49 am »
Hectic weekend for the Zogs?! Hope the tooth comes out easily Mr Zog. Eish. And to Madame Zog, such a let-down when you look forward to an enjoyable outing and it turns into a schlep. Better luck next time!

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9826 on: July 19, 2020, 08:13:56 am »
Hectic weekend for the Zogs?! ...

I'm thinking a normal weekend for these guys... ;D
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9827 on: July 20, 2020, 02:10:36 am »
Today I got called out again. Twice...

The first job, rental house, landlord calls us because the tenant has no water and we just installed the new pump a couple of months ago and this should be a warranty job right?

Errr.... nope.

When the tenant hits the well pipe with his ride-on mower and breaks it right off, causing the pump to run without water... sorry boet, that's not covered under warranty  :sip:

I repaired the well pipe, replaced the melted-out PVC fittings on the pump (fittings get moerofa hot when pump runs dry and they melt out, but pump usually ok - strong pumps), primed the well back up, and Bob's your uncle. $270 later, ka-ching. Money for the company though, not me. I just get paid the overtime rate  :lamer:

But back to the pontoon build....  :ricky:

I measured out where the holes needed to be drilled in the top section of the pontoon, where the PVC pipes come out, and laid out a double layer of fiberglass mat on each side of the plywood. I also gave the inside surface a coat of epoxy to seal it good. When the fiberglass mats were dry I cut a hole in each with a holesaw and sanded them smooth. Then I pushed the PVC pipe through and glued the couplings on. The holes are just the right size for the pipe, but the couplings don't fit through, so they hold the pool noodle assemblies tightly in place.

First dry-fit of the pool noodle assembly in the pontoons

They fit perfectly  :biggrin:

And the tops fitted...

I also drilled a hole in the bottom back end of each pontoon and fitted a half-inch PVC male adapter with a bunch of epoxy mixed with thickener. Completely watertight around the edges, but this will allow me to drain the pontoons should they take on water. I have a couple of half-inch caps that will screw on to keep them closed while in the water.

The PVC fittings are completely shielded by the pontoon, so shouldn't get snagged on anything...

Then I fitted the tops, with the noodle assembly attached to the bottom section and used duct tape to hold it in place. Then I sanded the edges nice and round in 4 spots (fiberglass doesn't like a very sharp bend) and used a layer of fiberglass mat to hold it all in position so I can remove the duct tape, sand the rest as needed, and fiberglass the rest of the edges together.

Does anybody else think that the pontoons are looking like model aircraft carriers?  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

And that is as far as I got today. Remember that I also had a second call-out, and I had to mow the lawn... I also gave myself my usual fortnightly hair cut and shave  :deal:

Maybe I'll get some time during the week to carry on after work, but I'm not going to hold my breath. This next week is already lining up to be a thriller...  :xxbah:

Have an awesome week folks, see y'all later. Thanks for reading  :3some:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9828 on: July 20, 2020, 06:12:59 am »
Looking good! Those flat tops might just come in handy when on the water, maybe you need to fit a bait cutting board to them, then the mess stays out of the boat?
Interested to see how it is going to work when finished as I no doubt that it is going to work well. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #9829 on: July 20, 2020, 08:38:03 pm »
When you have finished, the Jonboat will be a fully fledged trimaran...!  :thumleft:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9830 on: July 21, 2020, 08:06:54 pm »
Lekker Slim.

Looking  good Gary.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9831 on: July 21, 2020, 08:12:24 pm »
Sammy threw up in the middle of the night and felt a little miserable and sorry for himself.

He climbed onto the bed and crawled on top of me. The full length of me. His front feet on my shoulders and his nose nuzzled into my neck. There he fell asleep, softly snoring his warm breath into my ear. After about an hour, my legs went numb from 45 kg of dog hug.

But you know the supreme rule. When your dog says "hold me" in the middle of the night because he's not feeling well, that's what you do. No questions asked.  :3some:

Especially because he brought me all of his toys when I wasn't feeling well the other day.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:39:40 pm by Mrs. Zog »

The following users thanked this post: BigEd

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9832 on: July 22, 2020, 06:18:32 am »
Animals are just special!
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9833 on: July 22, 2020, 10:54:10 pm »
Animals are just special!
I completely agree.
My wife got me a pup against my wishes, somehow it has healed a part of me that I didn't know was broken.
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

The following users thanked this post: BigEd, Oubones, Mrs. Zog

Offline BigEd

• Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9834 on: July 23, 2020, 08:00:52 am »
I completely agree.
My wife got me a pup against my wishes, somehow it has healed a part of me that I didn't know was broken.

It's dogs' special power... :thumleft:

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9835 on: July 24, 2020, 08:24:50 pm »
Sammy threw up in the middle of the night and felt a little miserable and sorry for himself.

He climbed onto the bed and crawled on top of me. The full length of me. His front feet on my shoulders and his nose nuzzled into my neck. There he fell asleep, softly snoring his warm breath into my ear. After about an hour, my legs went numb from 45 kg of dog hug.

But you know the supreme rule. When your dog says "hold me" in the middle of the night because he's not feeling well, that's what you do. No questions asked.  :3some:

Especially because he brought me all of his toys when I wasn't feeling well the other day.

Lovely entry.

especially the bit in bold.

Made me quite envious.

Animals as so special.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9836 on: July 25, 2020, 02:59:33 am »
Well thank fuck that week is over.

On Tuesday I went to Mount Dora again, did the second phase of installing the special pipes for the dialysis clinic. They have the building "dried-in" now, the windows and doors are in, but they still don't have air conditioning. Or any air movement at all. Up on the ladders in the roof-space the temp was approaching the 50's.  :o

It was brutal, we spent 12 hours up on the ladders, and 2 hours driving each way. All of Tuesday night I suffered from severe cramps from the dehydration, despite drinking copious amounts of fluid, as well as taking rehydration solutions.

Thursday afternoon I had the dental appointment to get my broken tooth pulled. It had broken off level with the gum, so there wasn't anything for the dentist to grab with her pliers. She spent 90 minutes digging, chipping, drilling, gouging, pulling, cutting the gum away, until she finally got it all out. Then had to suture the gum up to stop all the bleeding. I had to bite down on a gauze compress for an hour as well, to stop the bleeding. Needless to say when the injections wore off I was in a bit of pain.  :eek7:

Ice packs, and some "good-shit" pain medication (tramadol) and a couple of shots of rum and eventually I was able to get to sleep. This morning (Friday) I woke up with a mouth like a chipmunk from the swelling, and it took everything I had to just get out of bed. So I called in sick. I tried to do some stuff in the workshop today, but I was completely pap, so I spent most of the day just chilling in my lazy-boy in the aircon.  :biggrin:

The swelling has gone down a whole lot now, and the pain is manageable. Tomorrow will be better, hopefully I can get some more work done on my Jon boat pontoons.

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #9837 on: July 25, 2020, 07:10:07 am »

The swelling has gone down a whole lot now, and the pain is manageable.

Glad you're on the mend. Toothache and earache, possibly because they're in the head region, seem much worse than most other pains.

Disclaimer; I haven't experienced childbirth nor gallstones.

The following users thanked this post: husky

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #9838 on: July 25, 2020, 09:16:56 am »

The swelling has gone down a whole lot now, and the pain is manageable.

Glad you're on the mend. Toothache and earache, possibly because they're in the head region, seem much worse than most other pains.

Disclaimer; I haven't experienced childbirth nor gallstones.

Childbirth can't be too bad... a woman is often happy to have a second, third or even more kids. A man, on the other hand, doesn't tell anybody to kick him in the nuts again and again...  ::) ::) ::)

Gallstones... a different kettle of fish altogether. Thought I was going to pass out behind the wheel one morning. Fortunately managed to get the car off the road and sat hunched over the steering wheel for about 10 minutes until the pain subsided. Removal was called for... two stones the size of marbles, and a teaspoonful of "crusher grit". Fourteen years later and going well
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline BigEd

• Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9839 on: July 25, 2020, 08:11:11 pm »
Gallstones... a different kettle of fish altogether. Thought I was going to pass out behind the wheel one morning. Fortunately managed to get the car off the road and sat hunched over the steering wheel for about 10 minutes until the pain subsided. Removal was called for... two stones the size of marbles, and a teaspoonful of "crusher grit". Fourteen years later and going well

You are scaring me. When I had my last cancer scan they found 3 gallstones... I have no idea I had them... :o