Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1237147 times)

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9860 on: July 28, 2020, 05:22:42 pm »
May The Flying Spaghetti Monster pass you by...

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9861 on: July 28, 2020, 05:29:23 pm »
I like your sense of humor. Congrats to your anniversary.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Be careful, she is of German extraction, a sense of humour is no laughing matter.  :sip:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #9862 on: July 28, 2020, 05:34:37 pm »

Be careful, she is of German extraction, a sense of humour is no laughing matter.  :sip:
I am of German decent, too...

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9863 on: July 28, 2020, 05:37:36 pm »
American literature: Does success have meaning?
French literature: Does love have meaning?
Russian literature: Does suffering have meaning?
German literature: No.

:biggrin:

Better plot for you. I cannot procrastinate with work any longer. See you later...

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9864 on: July 28, 2020, 06:12:19 pm »

I am of German decent, too...

So is my wife, my condolences.  8)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9865 on: July 29, 2020, 10:05:47 pm »
The porch roof is leaking again, badly. We had heavy rain yesterday and the day before. I only noticed this morning that the sofa on one end was drenched. (No one ever sits there except Maggie, and she didn't tell me). I spent all day with the fan on high to dry everything out. We need to get that fixed. Mr. Zog tried twice before to plug that leak - apparently it's still not good.  :-\

One of my articles was about spiders, with lots of pictures. (I have a terrible spider phobia.)

The dogs are driving me bonkers.

My head is about to explode, the paracetamol didn't even touch this nasty headache.

Not a good day today.

:(

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9866 on: July 30, 2020, 12:20:17 am »
Urgh, Leaks are the worst! We have a random one that leaks at the oddest times, My guess is humidity...
Have you ever looked at pressure points for your headache?
I heard that if you put a clothes peg in the webbing between your thumb and index finger it helps.
 :thumleft:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9867 on: July 30, 2020, 06:07:43 am »
Eish, I hope the headache has cleared.
I always start sealing from the highest point as I have found that the water tends to run down on the inside of the roofsheets.
That said, I have a leak on an area where I used new sheets and cannot find it :patch:
Luckily it only leaks when it rains not when the sun shines! :ricky:
My ceiling is pvc so it does not cause any damage but I will win it!
Good luck with your spider job, they are just fluffy loveable creatures. :peepwall:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9868 on: July 30, 2020, 03:26:31 pm »
@BOZO Thanks, will look into acupressure!

@Oubones Yes, that's exactly it. Running down and leaking at lowest point. Just can't find point of entry.

We now have Tropical Storm Isaias coming for us, predicted to arrive Sunday. No idea yet if it will intensify and become a hurricane by then.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9869 on: July 30, 2020, 06:48:51 pm »
@BOZO Thanks, will look into acupressure!

@Oubones Yes, that's exactly it. Running down and leaking at lowest point. Just can't find point of entry.

We now have Tropical Storm Isaias coming for us, predicted to arrive Sunday. No idea yet if it will intensify and become a hurricane by then.

Buckle down and good luck, my wife zee German, struggles with Barometric changes, any funny cloud cover or change of weather and she gets headaches,  ::)

From a person like me, who doesn't ever get headaches its sometimes difficult dealing with a walking Barometer.  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9870 on: July 30, 2020, 07:05:02 pm »
I think most of my headaches are from poor posture - my left side is always tight and crampy. I sit for work all day, and even though I get up and move every 20 minutes or so, and I do work out most mornings (yoga and cardio), sitting all day, every day takes a toll. My left shoulder and neck are painful most days, and I always catch myself having to "forcefully" relax that side, if you know what I mean. I also tend to sit skew towards the left.

I need to find a better way to work. I had a colleague once who built himself a desk over his treadmill, he'd work while walking (super slowly). I don't think I could do that, or even work standing up.

I find that yoga helps a lot - it unkinks me a great deal. I don't like chiropractors. I went to one years ago and he did an amazing job of fixing my inflamed hip socket by aligning me better, but the cricking and cracking gives me the willies. I'd rather not. Yoga will have to do. At least there I can crick and crack myself.  :o

Offline hedleyj

« Reply #9871 on: July 30, 2020, 08:34:55 pm »
Try using a stand up desk it is wonderful for posture, backache, stiff neck and concentration
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline RTFM

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #9872 on: July 30, 2020, 09:00:52 pm »
Get yourself one of the big exercise balls used by physiotherapists.  Use it to sit on for a 20 minute stretch 2 or 3 tines a day.  Once you are used to it, it is quite comfortable, and you might want to use it for longer stints.

Did wonders for my back problems.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9873 on: July 31, 2020, 02:15:11 am »
The latest predictions are that Isaias will strengthen to a hurricane and give us a blow on Saturday.

So when I got home from work at 6pm this evening I pulled the generator out and checked it out. It started on the first pull  :biggrin:  which made me very happy. Then I loaded two 20 liter jerry cans into the work van and went and filled them up, just in case. If I don't need them for the generator, I'll use them in the mower and weed eater and also my little boats fuel tank.

The hurricane shutters and attachment nuts are ready, they'll probably go up either Friday evcening or Saturday morning, depending on the forecast as it gets closer and more accurate. We have enough food and water and I even have a bottle of Rum  O0  I just need to buy some Coke to mix it...  :peepwall:

In the last 4 days we have gotten just under 6 inches (150mm) of rain. The ground is saturated, the ditch in front of the house is full. The grass is growing like crazy. If we get a deluge from this storm it may cause some issues...  :sip:

Last night the special cactus bloomed again, that one that only blooms once a year. I'll ask Mrs Zog to post some pics that we took at 11pm last night  :thumleft:

Only one day of work left... then a wet weekend. Hopefully I can get the pontoons for the Jon boat finished, weather permitting.  :deal:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9874 on: July 31, 2020, 06:14:17 am »
Be safe this weekend and hopefully you do not get flooded.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline lowrider

« Reply #9875 on: July 31, 2020, 08:09:48 am »
Get yourself one of the big exercise balls used by physiotherapists.  Use it to sit on for a 20 minute stretch 2 or 3 tines a day.  Once you are used to it, it is quite comfortable, and you might want to use it for longer stints.

Did wonders for my back problems.

This does normally help, as it forces you to engage your core, which in turn helps with posture..
2005 BMW F650GS Dakar
2007 Husqvarna TE450R

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #9876 on: July 31, 2020, 10:18:09 am »
The latest predictions are that Isaias will strengthen to a hurricane and give us a blow on Saturday.

So when I got home from work at 6pm this evening I pulled the generator out and checked it out. It started on the first pull  :biggrin:  which made me very happy. Then I loaded two 20 liter jerry cans into the work van and went and filled them up, just in case. If I don't need them for the generator, I'll use them in the mower and weed eater and also my little boats fuel tank.

The hurricane shutters and attachment nuts are ready, they'll probably go up either Friday evcening or Saturday morning, depending on the forecast as it gets closer and more accurate. We have enough food and water and I even have a bottle of Rum  O0  I just need to buy some Coke to mix it...  :peepwall:

In the last 4 days we have gotten just under 6 inches (150mm) of rain. The ground is saturated, the ditch in front of the house is full. The grass is growing like crazy. If we get a deluge from this storm it may cause some issues...  :sip:

Last night the special cactus bloomed again, that one that only blooms once a year. I'll ask Mrs Zog to post some pics that we took at 11pm last night  :thumleft:

Only one day of work left... then a wet weekend. Hopefully I can get the pontoons for the Jon boat finished, weather permitting.  :deal:

Mr Z, good luck with the rain. Hopefully no damage. Those winds can be scary.

I suggest that Mrs Z sell tickets next year for the blooming of the cactus. You Americans are mos rich and will pay for anything!  :peepwall:
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9877 on: July 31, 2020, 06:36:31 pm »
Thanks everyone for the "posture" advice. I think I'll give that balance ball thing a try when I sit at my desk. I'm sure WalMart or Target has them.

We now have Hurricane Isaias. As it is now, it will briefly become a category two and then hit us Sunday afternoon as a category 1. We will do the usual prep: bring all the pot plants in, put the shutters up, etc.

I will get the pictures soon for the cactus. It truly was spectacular. Last year it had 1 flower, this time it had 5, all about the size of a dinner plate, and they smelled heavenly! It's difficult to take pictures, the moment you shine a light (or a flash) on them, they want to close up. I guess there's a reason why it's night blooming!

@Blou Zebu Price of admission = $5 and two dog biscuits  :biggrin:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9878 on: July 31, 2020, 06:37:52 pm »

@roxenz Are you a Pastafarian?  ;D   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

May we not be touched by Isaia's Noodly Appendage...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:39:24 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #9879 on: July 31, 2020, 08:09:14 pm »

@roxenz Are you a Pastafarian?  ;D   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

May we not be touched by Isaia's Noodly Appendage...

:imaposer: :imaposer:  I'm closer to tao, but not for or against any religion, life's too short to get hung up on that.