Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1237159 times)

Mr Zog and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9960 on: August 18, 2020, 05:50:45 am »
Wow a WATER COOLED breek en staan motor :laughing4:

Nie n Breek en Staan nie... dis n Tecumeseh, of so iets. Hier in die VSA gebou, so parte sal volop wees, en seker redelik goedkoop ook. Soos die carb vir die generator waarmee ek besig is. Splinternuwe carb, vir $8.89 afgelewer!

Wag vir hom, pos is stadig met die virus  :xxbah:
Tecumeseh motors is in my oŽ beter as B@S , ek het jare terug by een van die meubelwinkels een gekoop en vir tuindienste gebruik!
Later nog een gekoop en gedink as hulle hul waarborg tyd oorleef is dit goed genoeg. Ek het die besigheid later verkoop en toe loop hulle nog!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9961 on: August 19, 2020, 01:51:09 am »
Today I was driving up to a job very near to the Kennedy Space center when Mrs Zog sent me a Whatsapp that there was going to be a launch in 5 minutes!

So I found a spot to pull over at a gas station and got y'all a video  :biggrin:

I was probably about 10 miles from the launch pad, and I could FEEL the rumble of the rocket as it went up. The sound didn't come through on the video unfortunately.  :(

This SpaceX launch carried 58 more Starlink satellites, as well as 3 other satellites that hitched a ride. This was the 6th time that they had flown the booster rocket, and they recovered it safely on the boat out at sea. A new record!

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #9962 on: August 19, 2020, 06:58:02 am »
wow, quite amazing seeing it real, a night launch must also be spectacular, are they manned craft
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #9963 on: August 19, 2020, 07:51:46 am »
Wow a WATER COOLED breek en staan motor :laughing4:

Nie n Breek en Staan nie... dis n Tecumeseh, of so iets. Hier in die VSA gebou, so parte sal volop wees, en seker redelik goedkoop ook. Soos die carb vir die generator waarmee ek besig is. Splinternuwe carb, vir $8.89 afgelewer!

Wag vir hom, pos is stadig met die virus  :xxbah:

Ek het ook gedink dit is n B&S motor. Die setup vir die oil breather met die valves agter dit is presies soos op my B&S 375 grassnyer enjin.

I'm sure you will get it running quite easily. Clean out the valve area. Remove valves and clean intake and exhaust ports. Remove top and clean combustion chamber. Then flush the sump a few times and she'd be good to go after the carb receives a clean and new gaskets  :thumleft:
Born to be Mild

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9964 on: August 19, 2020, 03:22:11 pm »
Today I was driving up to a job very near to the Kennedy Space center when Mrs Zog sent me a Whatsapp that there was going to be a launch in 5 minutes!

So I found a spot to pull over at a gas station and got y'all a video  :biggrin:

I was probably about 10 miles from the launch pad, and I could FEEL the rumble of the rocket as it went up. The sound didn't come through on the video unfortunately.  :(

This SpaceX launch carried 58 more Starlink satellites, as well as 3 other satellites that hitched a ride. This was the 6th time that they had flown the booster rocket, and they recovered it safely on the boat out at sea. A new record!

So.............

What are these Starlink satellites going to be doing, thatís a moerofa lot of something going up there to join the others.

Track your coded Corona virus vaccine?
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9965 on: August 19, 2020, 08:57:55 pm »
wow, quite amazing seeing it real, a night launch must also be spectacular, are they manned craft

No, these ones are just rockets delivering payloads into orbit. We had the first crewed mission a few weeks ago, the first one since the Space Shuttle stopped launching. They will have another crewed mission soon.

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9966 on: August 19, 2020, 09:05:14 pm »
I was at the supermarket this morning and saw a black guy wearing "fashion" camo gear and a red beret. My first thought was "oh my God, it's Juliuuuuuusssss!"  :imaposer:

Here are some pictures for you.

1. I know, I know, another sunset, but this one was really spectacular. The sky was on fire!

2. Sammy and his beloved yellow rubber ball. It's his most precious possession.

3. We call this "canine vandalism." (Maggie likes to sleep on the backrest of the sofa - it's a great squirrel observation post - but sometimes she slips behind the cushions and has to dig her way out.)

In other news, we are now tracking three tropical depressions in the Atlantic, and the experts are saying that the hurricane season is about to become "extremely active" in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #9967 on: August 20, 2020, 02:07:30 am »
Maggie would have a rival in our house...
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9968 on: August 20, 2020, 02:12:26 am »
This evening when I got home the new carb for the generator I am working in had arrived.

But I was just too tired and my back is killing me, so I didn't even open the door to the workshop. Tomorrow will probably be much of the same, so I'm guessing that I will only get to it over the weekend.

I'm sitting in front of the TV now, waiting to see what the weather forecast says for the weekend. Maybe I can even go fishing  :peepwall:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9969 on: August 20, 2020, 03:22:43 pm »
@Fudmucker Benji looks like he never turns down a cuddle! He's gorgeous!

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9970 on: August 20, 2020, 04:19:45 pm »
@Fudmucker Benji looks like he never turns down a cuddle! He's gorgeous!
He was abandoned in a house when a marriage broke up.
Neither party took the 2 dogs and 2 cats.
They just left them there, each trying to shame the other into giving in.
After 4 days the neighbours stepped in, re-homed some and filed charges of animal cruelty and abandonment.

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9971 on: August 20, 2020, 06:57:07 pm »
That's terrible. Every time during a hurricane, some people here evacuate and leave their dogs behind, sometimes chained outside. I can't even talk about it, it upsets me too much. We have some really strict animal abuse laws here, though. They will come for you, and when they catch you, you go to jail. It's a crime, and you will never be allowed to have an animal again.

People who abuse animals are... not human beings, in my opinion.

I'm glad Benji found a good home with you. I'm sure he's spoiled rotten like ours!

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9972 on: August 20, 2020, 07:58:13 pm »
Remember the three tropical depressions I mentioned yesterday?

Tropical depression 13 is predicted to hit us Tuesday as a category 1 hurricane. Tropical depression 14 is predicted to hit the Houston, Texas area, also on Tuesday.

Next on the list we have Laura and Marco. We'll see which one forms first, TD13 or TD14.

There is another tropical depression "in the queue," but it's third in line, just off the coast of Africa.

One disaster at a time, please. One at a time...  ::)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9973 on: August 21, 2020, 06:46:52 am »
Let's hope 13 + 14 don't decide to get together for a little mahem...

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9974 on: August 21, 2020, 06:53:04 pm »
What are these Starlink satellites going to be doing, thatís a moerofa lot of something going up there to join the others.

Track your coded Corona virus vaccine?

No... 5G does that.  :imaposer: 

Oh wait, according to the latest conspiracy theory, 5G is what GIVES you Corona. Sorry, got confused there.

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9975 on: August 21, 2020, 07:14:49 pm »
I decided I need to leave the house for a while. I went to the beach, got a cup of Starbucks (it's been a few years), and sat there, staring at the waves, inhaling salt air and exhaling stress.

Then I fled in terror. Something was biting me, like a million tiny pinpricks all over. Commonly called "no-see-ums" because, well, you don't see 'um.

Biting midges can be a nuisance to campers, fishermen, hunters, hikers, gardeners, and others who spend time outdoors during early morning and evenings, and even during the daytime on cloudy days when winds are calm. They will readily bite humans; the bites are irritating, painful, and can cause long-lasting painful lesions for some people. A common observation upon experiencing a bite from this insect is that something is biting, but the person suffering cannot see what it is.

So that was a washout. I went on to find an organic produce market I'd heard about. So I drove up the beach road and eventually found it. It turned out to be huge, and super fancy. It had amazing stuff, I could have easily filled my shopping cart with "oh I want" items, like chocolate truffles, yummy looking ready-to-go food, and some great international wines and cheeses. However. The prices were insane.

I got two items (a bag of seed and nut mix to stir into my morning yogurt and a small tub of curry chicken salad from the deli, planning to have it on a roll for lunch at home). I got to the checkout and the lady there was dressed to the nines and made up. I was wearing shorts, a tank top, and sandals. And of course I have a no. 2 brush cut, which immediately brands me as either a lesbian or a radical bitch.

The woman looked at me like I was some sort of distasteful specimen. I asked her if they have some sort of store loyalty program where you get savings or points (most places here do). Oooops. Wrong question. She sneered at me and said, in the most condescending tone, "no, honey, we don't do that here."

I guess they want to keep the riffraff out, is what I read between the lines. I dumped my two items in front of her and and walked out. I didn't even say anything. I was not in the mood for being judged by a rich c*nt.

And now I'm home with my dogglies and just repotted two cacti (using braai tongs).

Happy days.

The following users thanked this post: husky

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9976 on: August 22, 2020, 12:55:03 am »
Good for you. The one thing I learned very quickly here on the island is donít judge a book by its cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9977 on: August 22, 2020, 03:07:08 am »
I really wanted to take the little Jon boat out fishing this weekend.

But right now I just don't have the energy after a super tough week.

And I have a list of stuff I need to get done at home.

Maybe I'll just go walk around the edge of the local pond early morning before I can make noise in the workshop.

It also seems that the forecast Hurricane (Laura) is gonna slip past to the west of us. Thankfully. Although my first thought when Mrs Zog told me we may get hit is "cool, a day off work"  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9978 on: August 22, 2020, 03:09:09 am »
Let's hope 13 + 14 don't decide to get together for a little mahem...

That is what I said, and it seems that it may just happen...

Louisiana is in the path right now for two potential hurricanes early next week  :eek7:

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #9979 on: August 22, 2020, 08:12:49 am »
Sounds to have some tough parts - look after yourself; Pilates / back exercises. Keep on trucking and stywe lyne.