Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 661519 times)

motosa, brad 700 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Donaldbr

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha XT600, Yamaha WR250F
    • View Profile
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #3620 on: May 13, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »
Google says it'll work, just slower. Apparently the same as putting a variable resistor (throttle) on, and setting it at half speed. Kinda makes sense. There are warnings about watching the load to prevent overheating. Eat less cheeseburgers, and you should be fine.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The lower voltage will increase the current - use cable twice the size of standard to be on the safe side.
the lower voltage theory is relevant to ac and transmissionof electricity. On dc, the formula v=ir, is relevant.  Motor=r, I= current, so as v drops, so will current.

Motor will have less torque and spin slower.

Given the light weight of the kayak, mr zogs might get away with a single battery.

Nothing to lose on trying it out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:40 am »
Zog, you have the imagination to solve this problem...

"Trailer"

Float the batteries in their own boat behind the kayak !
A plastic tub with a sealing lid to stop water splashing in,
plus outrigger floats from stopped up drain pipe.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Shukran

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • In Abu Dhabi missing Johannesburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: May 14, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »
Google says it'll work, just slower. Apparently the same as putting a variable resistor (throttle) on, and setting it at half speed. Kinda makes sense. There are warnings about watching the load to prevent overheating. Eat less cheeseburgers, and you should be fine.

The lower voltage will increase the current - use cable twice the size of standard to be on the safe side.
the lower voltage theory is relevant to ac and transmissionof electricity. On dc, the formula v=ir, is relevant.  Motor=r, I= current, so as v drops, so will current.

Given the light weight of the kayak, mr zogs might get away with a single battery.

This is correct - I was thinking of AC. My apologies. 8)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: May 15, 2017, 03:55:16 am »

This is correct - I was thinking of AC. My apologies. 8)

Thanks guys. I'll think about giving it a try...  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: May 15, 2017, 04:11:54 am »
Don't you just hate it when ....

You get asked to do a job, then when you are done the dude dances around when you gotta get paid?  :xxbah:

Well... happened to me.

A guy approached me to do a PJ for him. A whole lot of plumbing stuff, about 40 hours of work. He supplied all the materials and hardware. I worked my ass off when I was done working my day-job. Then when time comes to pay me he starts the excuses...  :xxbah:

So I put the pressure back on him. You see, it was work at a house that he was "flipping". And he needs to sell the house so he can get all the money back that he has put into it. In Florida, if a worker is owed money by a contractor, the worker can have a "Lien" placed on the property that he worked at, until he is paid. This basically means that the property cannot be sold, or anything else, until the "Lien" is lifted. I found this out while researching to start my own handyman business a while ago.

So when dude started doing the two-step regarding paying me, I got hard-assed. I worked my ass off, and got the job done fast, and properly for him. I don't want to wait about 3 months for payment. (about the time it will take to sell the place, register it, and he gets his cash), and then maybe he also disappears without paying me anyway...  :lamer:

He didn't have cash. Period. So I accepted payment in kind. He owed me about $1000.00. I got an almost brand new ride-on mower valued at around $1200.00 in lieu of payment. The mower is a 2017 model, and dude used it once to mow the grass at the flip-house.

I reckon it was a pretty fair deal. I would have preferred the cash, but this is better than nothing.

So now I am the proud owner of a ride-on mower... I got it home, washed it, and put a few stickers on it, just to make it MINE! My lawn got mowed too... even though it was still pretty short  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:12:36 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: May 15, 2017, 04:18:34 am »
A new guy started working with us this week.

Nice guy. About my age, but completely grey already. He has his own truck, and his own tools, and he knows his thing. He's been a handyman for a long time. I will learn a lot from him, especially about aircons...

Anyways, Saturday we had to change out a hot water heater that had rusted out. When we were done he took a couple of pics for the Boss. He also took one of me "posing" at the job  8) :biggrin:

I never seem to post pics of myself.

Maybe because I am just too sexy  8)  :imaposer:

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: May 15, 2017, 04:37:12 am »
You need to flame that mower ... real redneck style ..stickers just wont do the job  :imaposer:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Geriatrix

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: May 15, 2017, 08:05:30 am »
Zog, you can now run a lawn mowing company over weekends and make a fortune!
Nice one.
Did you get a written note to say that the mower was given to you in payment for the job? This is to prevent him from claiming that he lent the machine to you and you must return it.
Q: What do you call a witches motor bike?
A: A baaaarrrroooooooommmm stick!

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: May 15, 2017, 10:57:29 am »
Don't you just hate it when ....

You get asked to do a job, then when you are done the dude dances around when you gotta get paid?  :xxbah:

Well... happened to me.

A guy approached me to do a PJ for him. A whole lot of plumbing stuff, about 40 hours of work. He supplied all the materials and hardware. I worked my ass off when I was done working my day-job. Then when time comes to pay me he starts the excuses...  :xxbah:

So I put the pressure back on him. You see, it was work at a house that he was "flipping". And he needs to sell the house so he can get all the money back that he has put into it. In Florida, if a worker is owed money by a contractor, the worker can have a "Lien" placed on the property that he worked at, until he is paid. This basically means that the property cannot be sold, or anything else, until the "Lien" is lifted. I found this out while researching to start my own handyman business a while ago.

So when dude started doing the two-step regarding paying me, I got hard-assed. I worked my ass off, and got the job done fast, and properly for him. I don't want to wait about 3 months for payment. (about the time it will take to sell the place, register it, and he gets his cash), and then maybe he also disappears without paying me anyway...  :lamer:

He didn't have cash. Period. So I accepted payment in kind. He owed me about $1000.00. I got an almost brand new ride-on mower valued at around $1200.00 in lieu of payment. The mower is a 2017 model, and dude used it once to mow the grass at the flip-house.

I reckon it was a pretty fair deal. I would have preferred the cash, but this is better than nothing.

So now I am the proud owner of a ride-on mower... I got it home, washed it, and put a few stickers on it, just to make it MINE! My lawn got mowed too... even though it was still pretty short  :imaposer:

Ha bloody excellent, f@*(ing bastard, hope you enjoy the mower  ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:58:13 am by Bikerboer1973 »
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline FrankyB

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: May 15, 2017, 01:36:05 pm »
How good is that?! A mower and trailer to move it. Sounds like another opportunity to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: May 15, 2017, 02:37:31 pm »
How good is that?! A mower and trailer to move it. Sounds like another opportunity to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Zog movebile'  :laughing4:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: May 16, 2017, 02:37:49 am »
Americans are crazy...

They throw stuff away. Good stuff. Expensive stuff.

Today I rummaged through some trash that had been thrown out. I had seen the handle of a tennis racquet sticking out of a box, and I have been looking out for one to use to swat the massive carpenter bees (bumble bees) that are destroying my lean-to. I took the tennis racquet, and found a second too. Then I found an electrical tester. Seemed to be complete, but didn't switch on. So I took it, figuring WTF, if it's fubar I'll just bin it and keep the leads.

When I got home I opened it up and tested the 9V battery (by putting it on my tongue  ;D  ) it was dead flat. So I grabbed a new battery (we keep a couple of spares for the smoke alarms) and put it in. It WORKS!!!

I tested it measuring AC Volts, DC Volts, and continuity/resistance. Perfect. Dude threw it away because the battery was flat  :eek7:

I just googled the model. No longer available, but equivalent model retails for just under $320.00  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:   At today's exchange rate that is over R4200,00 !!!

I'll use the tester on my truck. Really decent score  :thumleft: :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: May 16, 2017, 02:44:10 am »
Another rocket launch...

It just doesn't get old. The sheer power of the rocket.... so frikken awesome!

Today's launch was by SpaceX, a Falcon 9 rocket taking a commercial satellite into orbit. It was a big heavy satellite, 13000 lbs. For Inmarsat, to improve communications. Because it was so heavy, and needed to be launched higher than usual, there wasn't enough fuel left in the booster to slow the descent on a recovery. So the booster was left to fall back into the sea.

Pics below, first watch the launch live on the TV, then go outside to watch the rocket heading upwards until it disappears into space a minute or so later...

Absolutely incredible!!! 

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: May 16, 2017, 02:48:51 am »
A visitor...

While we were standing outside watching the rocket we had a visitor.

A little squirrel climbed up on the fence, from the front yard side, and started heading towards the back fence. Then Sammy and Maggie saw him, and his slow crawl became a frantic dash!  :imaposer:  Hounds screaming at him from below....

Little guy made it safely, with hounds foaming at the mouth.

I love the little buggers. They are so cute.  :biggrin:

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: May 16, 2017, 03:51:26 am »
Amazing how many rockets are going up and it seems most are in communications. Big business to keep the world "connected".

Wrt the tester: Just unreal to imagine for us living in SA that you can pick up so much from the streets, what a bargain!

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Offline Tom van Brits

• Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: May 16, 2017, 03:56:29 am »
Ps; Is that trailer leaking oil or why the kiddies pool under it?

Remove that Landrover sticker

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: May 16, 2017, 07:48:18 am »

Must be a KTM trailer...
Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: May 16, 2017, 09:15:12 am »
Well done on the tester.

Similar in the U.K.

You,remember the pile of Makita cordless drills and batteries, plus chargers my mate Craig found on the pavement......

Of course I have three batteries, two,drills and a free charger from him.

Suits me.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: May 17, 2017, 02:46:59 am »

That island air is rusting your nuts  :deal:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

I pushed the kiddie (actually "doggie" pool) under the trailer to stop it blowing away. It was stored in the garden shed, but had to make way for the mower  >:D

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: May 17, 2017, 02:51:27 am »
Only in America  :drif:

I saw this boat. On a trailer. On Malabar Rd, the main street in our area. Right near the Home Depot  8) :biggrin:

Was about 35 ft long.  And was fitted with FOUR 400HP engines  :o :o :o

I can only IMAGINE how that baby must perform on the water...  From Florida coast to the Bahama's or Cuba in about 2 hours...  It has to be faster on the water than my truck is on the highway...

Frikken AWESOME  :drif: :drif: :drif: