Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 799127 times)

Donaldbr, Mrs. Zog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6360 on: November 07, 2018, 10:58:49 am »
It just never ends. These dogs are slowly killing me.

So today they are due their monthly Heartgard (for Heartworm disease prevention - it's mandatory here) and Bravecto, which they get every three months for fleas and ticks. I gave Maggie her Heartgard and her Bravecto, and Sammy ate his Heartgard but projectile-spat his Bravecto across the floor, straight at Maggie, who of course ate it so fast it was a blur.

So now she's has her Heartgard and 5x her normal dose of Bravecto (hers and his). So I went back to the vet to make sure she'll be ok. She should be fine, but we can expect vomiting and diarrhea for a couple of days, maybe some lethargy. And of course I had to shell out another $50 for another Bravecto for Sam.

Then again, Maggie might not even have any side effects, she seems to be bulletproof. In her 10 years, she should have died several times over.

I give up.

:spitcoffee:

I just packed out laughing in a very quiet office.  :imaposer:

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #6361 on: November 07, 2018, 11:24:37 am »
and again while Mr.Z is outta town
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6362 on: November 07, 2018, 09:17:22 pm »
and again while Mr.Z is outta town

Thank you Mr. Python. So I am not the only one who sees a pattern here!

And it is as we suspected... no ill effects whatsoever upon overdosing on Bravecto. Maggie is beginning to acquire mythical superhero status.  :eek7:

Offline windswept

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #6363 on: November 07, 2018, 10:46:26 pm »
That Maggie, she be a Wilddog of note, just like her pappie. O0 >:D

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6364 on: November 08, 2018, 03:22:54 am »
I had a very kak day at work.

But I got home with just enough light left for me to make a start at fitting the lights to the new trailer.

Mrs Zog made an awesome chicken curry for supper which made me feel a bit better. Or maybe it was the brannas and coke?  :peepwall:

Maggie is fine, she didn't even have diarrhoea  :thumleft:

Tough as nails that little one. But when her daddy holds her she melts in his arms  ;)
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6365 on: November 08, 2018, 04:37:05 am »
I had a very kak day at work.

But I got home with just enough light left for me to make a start at fitting the lights to the new trailer.

Mrs Zog made an awesome chicken curry for supper which made me feel a bit better. Or maybe it was the brannas and coke?  :peepwall:

Maggie is fine, she didn't even have diarrhoea  :thumleft:

Tough as nails that little one. But when her daddy holds her she melts in his arms  ;)

:3some: must be the dop  :lamer: waiting for Mrs Zog to moer me here on the island...

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6366 on: November 08, 2018, 02:30:51 pm »
waiting for Mrs Zog to moer me here on the island...

I'll be right there! Meet you @ Coffee Supreme on Hopper Street.  :biggrin:

All joking aside, I love New Zealand. I spent a lot of time in Wellington and Wanganui... (in my pre-Mr. Zog life). I actually almost moved there.

I read your thread every day.  You will find your feet soon and then you will love it there. :thumleft:

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #6367 on: November 08, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »
Bolts for the boat:
Your in 'merica now, so look for grade 5 galvanized, (we are still in the stone age), will have three lines on head. Easier than trying to find metric.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6368 on: November 08, 2018, 06:01:39 pm »
That Maggie became the star of this thread Mrs Zog!

Gary congrats on that motor. Hope you soon get to take her out on the water!

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #6369 on: November 08, 2018, 06:16:56 pm »

And of course I had to shell out another $50 for another Bravecto for Sam.

That's expensive. If I recall, ours was circa R350 per <25kg dog

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6370 on: November 09, 2018, 12:36:49 am »
waiting for Mrs Zog to moer me here on the island...

I'll be right there! Meet you @ Coffee Supreme on Hopper Street.  :biggrin:

All joking aside, I love New Zealand. I spent a lot of time in Wellington and Wanganui... (in my pre-Mr. Zog life). I actually almost moved there.

I read your thread every day.  You will find your feet soon and then you will love it there. :thumleft:

That's on my list to visit  :thumleft: have heard alot about it but haven't visited yet... But wait for the misses to join me

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6371 on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:45 am »
And so the plans change...

I was supposed to be on standby this weekend. But now I have to go back to Tampa on Sunday morning to get the job there finished. I'll be back Monday evening. So I am not on standby this weekend, I'm on standby next weekend.

SO Saturday I want to try and get the Jon boat out for a couple of hours to start running in the new engine. The tacho/hourmeter also arrived here today, so I can install it for the running in. After work today I secured the wires for the lights, so now pretty much all I need to do is install the securing points where I will strap the boat to the trailer. Holding thumbs for a good first journey since the rebuild.  :thumleft:

On another note, today I was working down at a nature park near Sebastian. I came across this little guy outside the water treatment room. About 3 - 4 feet long, and pretty docile. He / she let me get really close and get a nice pic before heading back into the bush. I think it's a Black Racer...
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6372 on: November 09, 2018, 06:32:32 am »
On another note, today I was working down at a nature park near Sebastian. I came across this little guy outside the water treatment room. About 3 - 4 feet long, and pretty docile. He / she let me get really close and get a nice pic before heading back into the bush. I think it's a Black Racer...

Just as long as it isn't a black mamba that also emigrated to Florida USA !  :o

It's nice to see you having more interesting and important work to do under your new employer.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:33:06 am by Fudmucker »
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6373 on: November 09, 2018, 09:55:22 am »
I do not like snakes as a rule, but I never fuck with them, they are an important part of any eco system and keep certain balances we are not even aware of.

This one though, is really pretty.

Like me, you seem to find small parcels of time, sometimes just to move shit about, but it still needed moving, so better today than tomorrow or next week.

All the stuff I did in 90 minutes on the new truck last night means I have freed up 90 minutes on Sunday and only have the brake bleeding left to do, also it was dry, and beats working In the rain, despite being 7íC and breezy.

Weekend on calls are just part of the job and enables you and Mrs Z to get on with building a new life in the USA

And that is not a bad thing, even if itís tough.

Hang in there team, and get pleasure from each other and your small wins.

Itís worth it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:58:02 am by grizz »
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6374 on: November 10, 2018, 03:15:40 am »
Finally it's the weekend  :ricky:

I got home just after 4:15, and immediately headed out to the boat. I installed the hour / rev meter. Very simple, just wrap a wire around the plug lead, that's it. Oh, and stick some Velcro to the cowling to mount the unit.

Then I cut a slice of some "plastic carboard" sheet that I got the other day at Home depot for $13 (8 feet x 4 feet sheet!  :biggrin: ) for under the battery and fuel tank. I will use the rest of the sheet to build a raised bow to stop waves breaking into the boat so easily, and as flooring for the boat. It's super strong, and it's 10mm thick. Really nice stuff.

I fitted the attachment points for the forward tie down, and decided to just hook the rear tie down around the frame. Now the boat is secure on the trailer.

Now the boat is ready for it's "shake-down" voyage. I may or may not fit the bimini top before I go out in the morning. 20% chance of rain, so I'll probably fit it just in case.

Then I mowed the lawn. Luckily my mower has headlights, because I only finished mowing well after dark.

Finally I went to the gas station and filled the fuel tank for the boat with special "ethanol free" fuel for running the boat in. I'll take the 5 gallon gas can along as backup, the supplied gas can is 3 gallons. So that is roughly 32 litres, should be more than enough  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

I'll take the boat down to the C54 canal.  http://www.visitspacecoast.com/listings/c-54-canal/1176/    It's a drainage canal that is nice and deep, and is also pretty sheltered between the two high sides. The forecast is for brisk winds from the north as a front moves across, and the canal runs east-west, so will have good calm water. It's where I usually went fishing when I still had the little red kayak. Nice big Bass in it... just in case I decide to drop a line in.  :ricky:

I'll read through the running-in procedures I got with the motor again, just to make sure I do it right. And I'll pack a beer or two into the coolbox, just to prevent dehydration  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Here is a pic of the hour / rev meter I got off eBay  :biggrin:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6375 on: November 10, 2018, 03:31:06 pm »
Looking forward to read about how you have experienced the new motor Gary!
I got an idea you are going to be one happy chappy  :laughing4:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6376 on: November 11, 2018, 02:56:03 am »
Oh My Word  :drif:

Tom, you are so right.  :thumleft:

But first things first... The boat no longer takes on water! I did manage to get all the leaks fixed, today I didn't get to use the little bilge pump once! So that is a really good thing.

Then the new engine... Oh my... what a pleasure!  :ricky:

Picture the scene: with the old engine I would prime the bulb each time I needed to start the engine. Then I would pull on the starter rope whilst praying it would start. Then when it did run, it was farting and spluttering and missing and shit, then it would run perfectly for a few seconds, then it would start it's shit again. I have changed the plugs, cleaned out the carb (three times) and checked all the electrics and anything else I could think of. It just refuses to run right.

Now the new engine: Select Neutral, make sure the cut-out lanyard is inserted and the master switch is on, pull the choke (for the first start of the day) and press the starter button. The first start took about 3 seconds to start, after that it started the moment I touched the starter button! Then it sits and idles quietly. Select forward gear, and off it goes! Smooth as silk, and quiet! So QUIET!. Man, this engine is the Bees Knees!  :ricky:

The first hour of operation I had to keep it at 2000 rpm or less, varying the revs. This meant I was moving along at around 5-6 km/h. It was a pretty long hour. Then the next hour I could get up to 3000 rpm, and take it to full revs too, but not for more than 1 minute every 10 minutes. It was during these "bursts of speed" that I got the rest of the setup sorted out as well, like the angle of the motor against the transom etc. Top speed was measured at 32km/h (20 MPH) on the GPS. Not bad at all.

After the second hour I could run it, but still need to vary the revs, and only at full revs for 5 minutes at a time.

The fuel can that was supplied with the engine is 3 gallons, around 12 litres. I was worried that I would run out, so I loaded another 5 gallon can into the boat, just in case. Well, after running the motor for just under 3 hours, there is just over half a can of fuel left! So less than 6 litres was used! This engine is also WAY lighter on fuel than the old engine. So just to be safe I will from now on just take a 1 gallon can of fuel out with me if I am going on a long trip.  But most fishing trips are local, and I just need to get from the launch to the fishing spot, so I doubt that I will ever need the extra fuel for local trips. But I will definitely take extra fuel when Thomas and I go out to sea from the Keys in December. Just because.  :deal:  :thumleft:

I even managed to get some fishing done  :ricky:

I caught 4 small Bass, and two nice big ones. I even took my phone out of the waterproof box to get a pic for y'all!  8)

Bottom line: Buying the new engine was the right thing to do. And the repairs to the boat were good too. And the trailer is just great! Stable, easy to maneuver, and the boat launches and recovers very easily.

I am happy!  :ricky:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:57:37 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6377 on: November 11, 2018, 06:41:05 am »
Good to hear and a lekker size bass that is!! :thumleft:

Offline evansv

« Reply #6378 on: November 11, 2018, 06:54:54 am »
 Good move with the motor, boat & trailer! Nice fish too :thumleft:
DT 125, GSX 750 ES, XJ 900, KX 125, YZ 250, WR 200, RMX 250 (280 kit), FZ-6, 2006, DT 125 LC (rear ended by Fortuner - written off), DT200R (current), KTM 625 SXC (current)

Offline Splash

« Reply #6379 on: November 11, 2018, 09:00:12 am »
Such a pleasure when things work properly. Well done.
Gone traveling.