Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1176815 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7120 on: April 11, 2019, 02:30:16 am »
The launch was scrubbed because of high level wind. They'll try again tomorrow night.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Ri

« Reply #7121 on: April 11, 2019, 06:57:53 am »
The launch was scrubbed because of high level wind. They'll try again tomorrow night.

You'd think if that rocket could escape Earth's gravity, it could shrug off a bit of wind :peepwall:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7122 on: April 11, 2019, 02:29:01 pm »
By popular request... thoughts on CBD gummies. Mr. Zog procured some last night from our local pharmacy friend (also a South African). Entirely legally, too.

Good Vibes CBD Gummies, Maximum Strength, 90 mg CBD, highest purity CBD extraction, must be 21 or older to purchase, $19.99 for a 30-gram bag (about 6 gummies). Manufactured by a brand called Pure Science Lab, in Coconut Creek, Florida.

We shared one gummy before supper, around 19:00 - i.e., half a gummy for each of us. "Let's try this out carefully," we said.

At 20:30 we dragged ourselves to bed - literally. We could not keep our eyes open. Can't speak for Mr. Zog, but I passed out cold in an uncomfortable sleeping position -- based on how I woke up 11 hours later (!!!), with a stiff neck and drooling everywhere.

In the words of Mr. Zog, downing his morning coffee: "I would have preferred a gentle chillout, not being body-slammed into the floor."

Effective? Yes. Helps with anxiety and pain? Yes. Because you have no f*cking clue it's still there, you're out cold.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7123 on: April 11, 2019, 02:32:18 pm »
 :imaposer:

What are gummies?

I'm looking for some cannabis tea - any leads?
Ja/Nee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7124 on: April 11, 2019, 02:41:44 pm »
You know, like sour gums candy, except with CBD.

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #7125 on: April 11, 2019, 02:59:38 pm »
Where can we buy those sweeties.... Ek wil ook he  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline pwt

« Reply #7126 on: April 11, 2019, 11:57:30 pm »

Looks like the launch is going to take place very soon, know the computer has already started the countdown, this should be a very impressive launch due to the fact that it's the most powerful rocket launched to date, even more powerful than the one that transported the Tesla motorcar into space back in Feb 2018

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7127 on: April 12, 2019, 03:59:00 am »
The launch went off at 18:35 local time.

A spectacular launch, we felt rather than heard the vibrations and reverberations in our back yard, which is roughly 75km from the launch site. The rocket went up for a bit then headed out east. So it flew away from us. You may just make out where the booster rockets separated just before the end of my crappy cellphone video  :biggrin:

I actually saw the re-entry burn on the two boosters that landed back at the Cape, but it only lasted for a couple of seconds so I didn't get any footage of it. All three boosters landed perfectly back on earth.

Then just after 8pm I watched the International Space Station fly over. I got a crappy pic of that too  :lol8:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: pwt

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7128 on: April 12, 2019, 04:15:47 am »
I had to drive up to Titusville this afternoon to go fix a pump.

As I was nearing the area I started to see cars and bakkies and trucks and stuff parked alongside the edge of the road against the Indian River Lagoon. People were already getting their spots for the 18:35 launch by 14:00.

They call it tailgating. That is where you park your bakkie / car / SUV / whatever and open the back and have a party. Cooler with drinks, usually a gas braai with hotdogs (viennas) and burgers (patties), and snacks (chips and kak). It was getting pretty festive with several hours still to go. I was driving, so my pics are kak. But you could clearly see the rocket at the launchpad from the road (except in my kak pics  :xxbah:  :imaposer: )

The following users thanked this post: pwt

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #7129 on: April 12, 2019, 05:28:08 am »
i would be one of them tailgaters, love waching that shit :thumleft:
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Online OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #7130 on: April 12, 2019, 06:55:19 am »
i would be one of them tailgaters, love waching that shit :thumleft:
Oh yeah, me too.

Offline Duke916

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7131 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:03 am »
In the old days we used to go and sit at the airport and watch the plane ( sometimes planes) take off or land  :biggrin:  Suppose it will happen to the rockets as well  ::)   Suppose here in good o'l RSA we will never get to see any, maybe get a chance to watch some UFO's landing after the are fed up with the US guys effing them up  :ricky:
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7132 on: April 12, 2019, 09:19:11 am »
How far are you from Titusville??

I see the cops were in on the party too.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7133 on: April 15, 2019, 03:00:28 am »
How far are you from Titusville??

I see the cops were in on the party too.

Titusville is probably 45 miles north of us on the I95.  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7134 on: April 15, 2019, 03:43:45 am »
Unfortunately the weekend is over  :(

It was a good one. On Friday my last call for the day got cancelled, so I made use of the opportunity to have an early afternoon off. I got home around 3pm, in the heat of the day, and chilled inside with the AC for an hour. Then I got busy with the side of the ramp at the workshop. I got the two 4x4 poles planted, and then cut and screwed in the 2x4 cross beams. All from my woodpile of salvaged stuff. Finally I added the fence panel sides. And then called it a day.

After a quick shower Mrs Zog and I headed out to a friend's house. Another ex-South African who has lived here for more than 20 years, he owns a small jewellery shop where he manufactures his own jewellery, and his wife. Two other ex-SA guys also came, both friends of mine too. We just sat outside in TJ's lapa and drank beer, ate snacks, and talked kak for a while. That was good, talking Afrikaans, and being with guys that had the same cultural upbringing as I did. Good times. But headed out early as I was poked from a long hard week, we were home just after 9. I must be getting old  :eek7:

Saturday morning I woke up around 5am. I went outside to take the dogs for their morning pee and saw that the weather was good. So I pulled the little Jon boat out, took the cover off, packed in my fishing gear, loaded a cooler box with some water and Powerades, had a second cup of coffee, hooked the trailer and headed down to the Sebastian River lagoon. I launched the boat just after sunrise, and spent the day fishing. Around 3pm I called it a day. The wind had picked up, and apart from 1 Ladyfish, and 1 small Jack Crevalle, only the catfish were biting. But as they say, a bad days fishing beats a good day working  :biggrin:

Back home I washed the boat and flushed the motor with clean fresh water and tested the fitment into my workshop. Great news! It fits, JUST!  :ricky: So now I know I can keep the boat inside the workshop when the hurricanes come to keep it safe. I pulled the boat out again, put the covers on, connected the battery charger, and parked it down the side of the workshop. After a good hot shower I decided to spoil Mrs Zog rotten, and took her to the Texas Roadhouse  :biggrin:  Think Spur, but with free bottomless peanuts still in their shells...  :P

We had a lovely meal, I had a small steak, she had a small fillet. The quality of the food was really good, and the quanities of the side dishes (salads and veg and stuff) was enormous. We both took doggy bags home that we had today for lunch.  :drif:

This morning I got tools and stuff ready, I measured and prepared materials, and kicked my heels until 10am. At the stroke of 10 I fired up the chop saw and cut some 2x4's and got on with finishing off the side piece to the shed. When that was done (around lunch time) we ate our left overs from supper, and then headed out to a mall up the road to a store called Marshalls. They sell overstock items from other shops at bargain prices. I got three pairs of shorts for work at $12.99 each, that is even cheaper than Walmart!  :o  And they are good quality. I buy the cheapest shorts I can for work because they get messed up from Chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, PVC primer and glue, and other stuff I work with pretty quickly. Usually they last about 3-4 months before I have to throw them out. I also bought a 7-pack of underpants for $15.99.  :biggrin:  My old undies are only good for wearing to church as they are very holy  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Back home I did the weed eating and the mowing as it was threatening to rain, and to really lure the rain I turned on the sprinkler pump  8)  It worked, because 45 minutes later we got a little drizzle, but just after dark it came down good for a few minutes.

Tomorrow its back to work again, but I had a good weekend. I got a lot of stuff done, and I also reset my head a bit.

Below are the pics of the completed ramp and "porches" at the side of the workshop.  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7135 on: April 15, 2019, 03:56:44 am »
This weekend I also decided to haul out my good camera.

I bought a Nikon D3000 many years ago at a special at Makro, but have not used it for many years. I had loaned it to my grandfather as he was a very avid photographer but only had proper cameras that used film, so that he could take pics and just have them on his computer. After he died my mom gave it back to me and I brought it back to the US and stored it in a cupboard. This weekend I decided to wipe the cobwebs off it  :biggrin:

The pics aren't great like those of TomvanBrits, but they'll do. Some pics of the squirrels, a Blue Jay, the red Cardinal, and  grey dove that visit our garden daily. There is also a woodpecker, but he didn't want to pose for pics today. Another time maybe... 

OH!!! and before I forget, we also have another little animal that visits us in the garden. But this one only visits at night. Last night I took the dogs out for their last pee around 10pm, and I noticed that the bird feeder was swinging even though there wasn't any wind. So I shone my torch on it a bit and spotted two tiny little buggers that dashed down the tree truck, grabbed a sunflower seed from the feeder, then dashed back up the tree into the leaves. It was very difficult to try and ID them, but finally I figured that they are the Southern Flying Squirrel.  :biggrin:  A tiny little nocturnal rodent that can glide between trees. How awesome is that!  :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7136 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:49 am »
Cool Mr Zog - glad you had a weekend off for a change. Thanks for posting - and the pics - appreciate the effort and as always enjoy reading your stories. Hope you have a good week.  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7137 on: April 15, 2019, 07:53:58 am »
Cool Mr Zog - glad you had a weekend off for a change. Thanks for posting - and the pics - appreciate the effort and as always enjoy reading your stories. Hope you have a good week.  :thumleft:

+1 :thumleft:

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7138 on: April 15, 2019, 09:25:50 am »
Your place is starting to look more and more like a home Gary.

Team Zog is certainly on a roll.

Love the photos you posted, nature is such a joy to watch.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #7139 on: April 15, 2019, 12:47:37 pm »
Zog, I know that when we do things for ourselves, we do only what is necessary and leave the nice to haves for later.

BUT, have you thought of moving your ramp into your shed, out to the edge of the Covered area and Braai, then you could have a nice flat deck to use in front of the door, instead of a ramp running up the centre of your "deck"? I think that it would be safer and more user friendly, just my brain fart  :biggrin: :thumleft:

I look forward to reading of your and Mrs Zog's adventures each day, you guys are an inspiration to many of us. I really appreciate you sharing and what you are accomplishing. Be Blessed  :3some:
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F