Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 845386 times)

driesbritz, Karel84, desertfox, Blikkies1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7240 on: May 15, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
It's looking so much better compared to when you first moved in.

The litres of sweat liberally sprinkled around the property have caused a bit of magic to happen. You guys already have reason to be proud of your home. Knowing Mr Zog he is far from done yet but the difference is already quite striking :thumleft:
For the love of it.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7241 on: May 16, 2019, 05:17:53 am »
Thanks for the kind words WheelieDog :thumleft:

It's been hectic the last few days.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I did a big filtration system install for a lady and her hubby down in Sebastian, as well as put new filtration media into her water softener. That was an all-day job.

Today I did another big install job for the County Parks Department. They have just finished building a new ablution block at their big campground right down at the Sebastian Inlet. They installed 4 big instant water heaters, but they didn't have any water softeners installed. This means that when the instant water heaters heat up the water for the showers fast the calcium and magnesium will leach out of the water very fast and clog up the thin copper pipes inside the water heaters in no time, rendering them useless. And the warranty will be void, it is specifically stated that is there is sediment build-up inside the heaters the warranty is void.

So I got the job to go and install two water softeners. But this job was different in that all of the piping inside the building is copper pipe. No easy job just gluing PVC, I had to solder all the copper pipe connections. This takes three times as long, and the copper pipe doesn't have any flex like the PVC, so I had to be very precise with all my joints. On top of that, the drains for the softeners needed to go into the existing sewerage drains, but to prevent any smells coming up they had to go through "P" traps, and at the top of the stand pipe I had to do an "air gap" to prevent any backflow into the drain from the softener if the sewer got backed up.

Lots of work, but I got it done. Went straight home from there and finally arrived at 18:30. Had supper, and started relaxing when I got another call-out. Left home at 9pm, got back home at 10:45pm. The lady I went out to had a little baggie of green "herbs" on her dinner table when I went inside to get payment  O0

There was supposed to be a rocket launch at 10:30 this evening, but first it got pushed back to 11pm, then postponed to tomorrow evening at 10:30 because of very strong high level winds. I think it was Sammy farting that caused the winds  :peepwall: :eek7:  What crawled up his bum and died  :patch: :o

Anyways, now it's almost 11:30pm and I'm going to bed. Some pics below of today's job...  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7242 on: May 16, 2019, 06:36:30 am »
Neat work Mr Z !   :thumleft:
I really like that hard drawn copper pipe and prefer to pvc+glued joints for pressured feeds.
I specified them for my house 35 years ago and they are still working perfectly.
The PVC pipes underground split at a joint within 2 years and I paid hundred of rands for water lost without me knowing I had a leak.
I replaced the underground piping with HDPE piping with compression fittings, All still perfect 30+years later.

Did you use a blowtorch for the tin solder joints or a resistance clamp?

Let me guess... the hole in the vertical pipe above the p-trap is for visual inspection of the air gap at the end of the softener drain
and to prevent sewer backup reaching the softener drain?
Are P-traps specified by code or can more effective S-traps be used as well?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:33:20 am by Fudmucker »
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7243 on: May 16, 2019, 06:55:27 am »
That copper piping looks beautiful :drif:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7244 on: May 18, 2019, 03:31:32 am »
That copper piping looks beautiful :drif:

Thanks Ri  :thumleft:

Unfortunately the camp site is only about 30 meters from salt water lagoon and about 200 meters from the actual ocean. Those nice shiny pipes will be dark green within a few weeks.  :(
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7245 on: May 18, 2019, 03:41:58 am »
So this afternoon Mrs Zog sends me a WhatsApp telling me that Maggie has killed another snake  :eek7:

She tells me that it was about 5 feet long, and black.

So where we live that makes me relax, unlike in SA where a snake like that would probably be a black mamba and Maggie would probably also be dead. Here the black snakes are pretty harmless constrictors without venom. But they are a vital part of the eco system; catching small rodents, frogs, lizards, etc.  And they are pretty cool animals too...

Mrs Zog tells me that she sprayed water into Maggie's face until she dropped the snake, then threw the carcass over the back fence into the drainage ditch.

So I get home a couple of hours later. I get busy with some gardening, and while working I see Maggie involved in a scuffle...

Fuck  :dousing:

She has killed ANOTHER black snake...  :'(

So I took it's pic for y'all, then sent it across the back fence into the drainage ditch to join it's buddy. At least there the birds will get to eat them.

Some pics...

1. Face of a killer

2-3 The Black Racer, about 4 feet long, as thick as my thumb.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7246 on: May 18, 2019, 04:31:24 am »
Maggie probably killed a pair of snakes living under your house somewhere.
She's just doing what she thinks is her job.
No wonder she is skeptical in that photo...!

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #7247 on: May 18, 2019, 08:34:40 pm »
 :sip: Maybe we can get het an episode on Netflix, "The Serial killer" or somthing like that?  :3some:
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7248 on: May 19, 2019, 02:48:33 pm »
Maybe we can get het an episode on Netflix, "The Serial killer" or somthing like that?

We should have called her "Dexter."

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7249 on: May 20, 2019, 02:22:11 am »
So.

Saturday morning I took Mrs Zog to the botanical garden down in Vero. It's about an hour's drive South of us. She loves visiting Botanical Gardens, she actually has a degree in Botany  :eek7:

The gardens were lovely and lush, very tropical. I'm sure Mrs Zog will post some pics in due course  :deal:  :sip:

Back home we fed the starving dogs, then I took a short nap. Short, because Maggie decided that she wanted to play, and daddy wasn't allowed to sleep. :dousing:

So I got busy with a water softener that I was repairing. Or attempting to repair. It is pretty old, about 20 years or so, and the workings were very badly clogged up. I had stripped it completely, and soaked everything in white vinegar for a couple of days to loosen up the gunk. I gave it a good scrubbing, then rinsed it all in fresh water.

Then I did some tidying up, sorted out some mess in my shed / workshop. Finally it had cooled down enough for me to get to work on the fence. I completed another 8-foot section.

Then a quick shower before we went out for supper. We went to the Longhorn Steakhouse, they make really superb steaks, and Mrs Zog had a coupon for a free dessert! We shared a starter, each had a steak for mains, and shared a dessert. The portion sizes were really big, so we both brought half our main course home, as well as more than half the chocolate pudding!

This morning (Sunday) I got busy with the fencing again. It was around 2pm when I got it done! A total of 5 8-foot sections have been completely rebuilt. The rest of the West-fence seems to be in good enough shape to resist a medium-strength hurricane. After clean-up I did the weed eating and mowing, the grass had grown over 50mm in the week since I last mowed it  :eek7:

And before I had a shower I washed both the dogs who had been rolling in something very smelly in the garden... probably a dead and rotten lizard, courtesy of Maggie...

Now I am relaxing with the forum, and the left-over chocolate pudding from last night  :biggrin:

Tomorrow I have the day off, because it is Mrs Zog's birthday, and I wanted to treat her. We will go to the beach at the Sebastian inlet and have a swim, relax in the sun a bit, I will have a bit of a fish in the inlet from the jetty, and generally just relax for a bit. I think we have deserved it  8)

I'll also get some pics of the completed fence tomorrow. A rain shower as I was finishing off the mowing drove me indoors...  :peepwall:

Offline OomD

« Reply #7250 on: May 20, 2019, 05:57:22 am »
Now this is a nice post to read. In between still zogging you took a nap, you guys went out for supper, you relaxed in front of the forum with chocolate pudding. Nice to see you unwinding a bit.  :thumleft: Enjoy the day off tomorow, you guys sure deserve it yeah!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7251 on: May 20, 2019, 06:37:18 am »
:flower: :toothy4: :flower: :toothy4:  :flower: :toothy4: :flower: :toothy4: :flower:

:occasion15:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mrs Zog!

Hope it's a wonderful day and year for you and the Zogs and enjoy the day off :thumleft:

:flower: :toothy4: :flower: :toothy4:  :flower: :toothy4: :flower: :toothy4: :flower:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Blou Zebu, Mrs. Zog

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7252 on: May 20, 2019, 06:43:17 am »
What Ri said...  :thumleft:

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #7253 on: May 20, 2019, 06:43:53 am »

:occasion15:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mrs Zog!

Hope it's a wonderful day and year for you and the Zogs and enjoy the day off :thumleft:

I also wish you a pleasant, healthy, prosperous and restful year!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7254 on: May 20, 2019, 06:56:57 am »
Wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mrs Z and many more  :3some:

Hope you get thoroughly spoilt. Enjoy your special day - you sure deserve it!
Eat life!

Offline RobbieJZW

« Reply #7255 on: May 20, 2019, 06:59:39 am »
Happy birthday @Mrs Zog
Wishing you (both) a happy restful day at the beach :) and thanks for the continued sharing of such a fantastic story!

Offline ican

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #7256 on: May 20, 2019, 03:27:46 pm »
Hope you have an awesome day Mrs. Zog!
And a stunning year!
In a world full of people, only some want to fly... Isn't that crazy?

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7257 on: May 21, 2019, 01:00:24 am »
Thank you everyone for all the birthday wishes! I had a fantastic birthday weekend, and Mr. Zog really did spoil me rotten! Sammy brought me a wrapped little package this morning, he carried it very gently and gave it to me. Mr. Zog gave me a gold necklace with a pendant shaped like a leaf that has black coral in the middle. It's so beautiful. He nailed my taste exactly. (He's good that way.)  ;D

On Saturday we went to the botanical garden, and as it's National Public Gardens Week, I even found a discount coupon online: buy one adult admission ticket, get one free. So we both got in for $10. WIN! I'll post some pictures as I go through them.

Then he spoiled me with a lovely dinner. Sunday, unfortunately, I had to work, so we just stayed around the house.

Today we both had the day off and went to the beach. To Sebastian Inlet, to be precise. I like it there because you have the choice of swimming in the lagoon or the ocean, they are only about 100 m apart, separated by a thin sliver of barrier island. I much prefer to swim in the lagoon. I can swim, of course, but I'm not a strong swimmer. If I were to get into a rip current, I'd be in deep trouble. Mr. Zog wanted to do some fishing off the pier.

And that is when my birthday turned from fantastic into... just... super amazing special. I have no words how special. I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and that's saying a lot.

When we arrived, we both had a splash in the lagoon, and then I set myself up on the beach, with a camping chair and umbrella and a good book to read. Mr. Zog set off to fish. Within 5 minutes I realized sitting on the beach was a bad idea. The wind was howling. My sun hat was about to lift off, so was the beach umbrella. The pages of my book were flapping. Not nice. So I pulled up stakes and migrated back to the lagoon.

It's shallow there, you have to wade in a good long way to swim. I was in about chest deep water, just sort of floating. There were only two other people there, pretty far away. Suddenly something bumped me from behind. Something big. I immediately thought the worst. There are bull sharks in the lagoon, and who knows what else. The Jaws theme song was playing in my head. I managed not to scream and turned around and... oh my goodness.

Two manatees were nudging me and poking me with their bristle brush noses, snorting at me. They stayed around me and just... interacted with me. They were obviously curious. They nuzzled me and bumped me and in return I scratched their noses, which they seemed to enjoy. They're protected, and you're not supposed to touch them in the wild, but who would know. They just hung around me and swam with me and circled me, and I gave them nose and back scratches.

It was the most amazing experience. People pay hundreds of dollars to swim with captive manatees in places like Sea World. Here I was, having a swim with two of them in the wild. Not hundreds of other people there in a sea park... just in their natural habitat. Wow. What gentle and beautiful creatures. Eventually they swam off, into the inlet.

And then I could breathe again.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7258 on: May 21, 2019, 02:52:44 am »
It was a good day...

I tried fishing off the pier at Sebastian inlet, saw many schools of fish, and even had a big barracuda follow my lure in for a few meters. But no takers. Still, beats a good day at work  :ricky:

On the way home from the beach Mrs Zog and I had a bit of a chat. Summer is here, temperatures are already high, and cooling down is a priority. We have a small plastic inflatable "jacuzzi" that we brought with from the old house, but without a "bug cage" we just cannot sit in it without getting eaten alive by the mozzies et al.

I had seen a gazebo at the camp ground that I had worked at last week that had mozzie screens all around, so I knew that they could be obtained. We did a bit of a google search and found several different ones on offer. With some more research we found one from Home Depot that ticked all the boxes, and didn't break the bank.

So this afternoon while Mrs Zog washed off the inflatable jacuzzi, I went to Home Depot and picked up the gazebo. I also got a couple of sheets of cheap plywood to use as a base for the 'cuzzi. At home I placed the sheets of plywood alongside each other, on top of an old tarp, then put another tarp over them. A couple of bits of duct tape to keep them all in place, then erected the gazebo over the base. Finally put the 'cuzzi in place and filled it up.

Now we have a lekker 'cuzzi to cool off in out in the yard, and can do so without being bugged by the bugs  :biggrin:

And it looks pretty cool too  :thumleft:

And some pics of the fence I finished off yesterday  :sip:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7259 on: May 21, 2019, 06:31:42 am »
Wow, Mrs Z and the manatees !
What a lovely experience for you on your burpday...  :thumleft:

That 'cuzzicamp looks just the thing for the summer.
Chill while you chill out...!
Does it have a built in beer cooler?