Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1259893 times)

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10200 on: September 28, 2020, 01:26:43 pm »
I beat your calories hands down... :peepwall:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10201 on: September 29, 2020, 12:47:23 am »
That's the New Haven Causeway... I want to do that one on Friday.

I'll give Strava a try; thanks Tom!  :thumleft:

Offline GRIM

« Reply #10202 on: September 29, 2020, 07:17:59 pm »
Give Carl Hiaasen a read - based in Florida, and you can decide for yourself if the characters are real...
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #10203 on: September 30, 2020, 06:34:28 am »
Give Carl Hiaasen a read - based in Florida, and you can decide for yourself if the characters are real...
The Crazy Governor?
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Karel84

« Reply #10204 on: September 30, 2020, 07:12:55 pm »
Florida Man is winning at life!

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline GRIM

« Reply #10205 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:45 pm »
The Crazy Governor?

Yep, but I don't think he is that crazy... :biggrin:
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10206 on: October 01, 2020, 08:54:06 pm »
So... they resurfaced and paved the entire neighborhood, EXCEPT about 100 m in front of our house.

Are we not worthy?

:xxbah:

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #10207 on: October 01, 2020, 09:17:36 pm »
Don't think so. They must have stopped, rethought, went home and getting the proper lekker stuff for you. They shall return and finish tomorrow.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10208 on: October 02, 2020, 09:23:44 pm »
I walked the New Haven Causeway this morning.

Alas, @Tom van Brits , Strava also let me down. It told me I walked 36 feet in 42 minutes. Is that even possible? What am I, a sloth? At least I'm consistent. I was told 42 minutes on Sunday by Endomondo, too.  ;D I actually suspect it's my "bottom of the bargain bin" cheap shit Chinese phone.

I'm beginning to extremely, strongly dislike this phone. I found out today that it has a tendency to randomly disconnect from wifi. I got a message saying that I blew through 2 gigs of data over the last couple of days... how? why? Because cheap shit Chinese phone can't keep the wifi connection.  :dousing:

I saw this bird while walking this morning. I spent some time trying to find out what it is; it's in the darter family, called an anhinga or snakebird. It was diving for fish and then drying off on the log. I also saw ibises and pelicans and a sandhill crane. Still no dolphins. The wind was howling on the bridge and there were whitecaps on the water in the lagoon.

Consulting Google Maps, to my best estimate, I walked about 2.75 miles or about 4.5 km.  :thumleft:

Finished yesterday:
Book 27 of 2020 - Dead at Daybreak - Deon Meyer

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10209 on: October 03, 2020, 02:25:57 am »
I haven't posted much lately.

Mainly because I'd just be posting the same shit over and over again. Wake up, drink coffee, go to work, sweat, come home, shower, sleep.

Rinse and repeat.

Boring as fuck, and I can't do that to y'all.

The heat has subsided slightly, as fall comes along slowly. But that also means that I will be raking the leaves off the grass before I can mow. But mowing will only need to be done every second week, so I guess that's a win  :biggrin:

I was going to go fishing with the little Jon boat tomorrow morning, but I just don''t have the energy.

I have been finding ants inside my truck the last few days, so this evening on the way home I stopped at the store and bought one of those fogger cans. At home I let it off inside the bakkie, and it can stew all night, Tomorrow morning I'll wipe it all down inside again to get rid of the poison, and hopefully no more ants  :sip:  :lol8: I think they may have infiltrated the bakkie while it stood at work for a week while I was on call and used the work van. We had LOTS of rain and maybe the ants climbed up to get away from the water.

And the Prez has got the 'rona. He just arrived at Walter Reid military hospital, I guess the local equivalent of 1 Mil. They say it is just "in case". Hope he gets better soon.  :thumleft:

The end of August I had also been with the company for three years, and last week I had a performance appraisal. I scored very very well on that, and got a raise. An extra $1.00 per hour. So every two weeks when I get my paycheck I get an extra $80, plus overtime, before taxes. Nice!  :biggrin:

Ok, I can't think of any other news. Have a great weekend y'all!  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10210 on: October 03, 2020, 05:10:34 am »
You scoring well in your appraisal is as normal as the sun coming up in the morning! :peepwall:
I just now you do your job well, congrats on the raise! :thumleft:

Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10211 on: October 03, 2020, 08:19:55 am »
Oh the irony of it... ;D

Trump tests positive for Corona on China's National Day.
They have a holiday until 8th.

https://www.officeholidays.com/countries/china/2020
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10212 on: October 03, 2020, 02:03:51 pm »
, sweat,

Zog if you had to chose a state to live in again like in the beginning would it be Florida again or something milder in summer weather?
I did not like the weather in Florida the few days I stayed there. BUT guess it makes up in winter?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline CruiserBMW

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #10213 on: October 03, 2020, 08:48:57 pm »
Zog so being three years at the company do you now qualify to become a qualified plumber .

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10214 on: October 04, 2020, 12:30:02 am »
You scoring well in your appraisal is as normal as the sun coming up in the morning! :peepwall:
I just now you do your job well, congrats on the raise! :thumleft:

+1  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10215 on: October 04, 2020, 02:27:17 am »
, sweat,

Zog if you had to chose a state to live in again like in the beginning would it be Florida again or something milder in summer weather?
I did not like the weather in Florida the few days I stayed there. BUT guess it makes up in winter?

Chris, good question.  :sip:

The positives of Florida are the great weather, close proximity to the ocean, low (ish) cost of living, Southern way of life (relaxed). But had I known that I would be working so much manual labour, and in this high heat and humidity, then I probably would have looked at a climate that was a bit milder. But only as long as the other place still had good fishing  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10216 on: October 04, 2020, 02:35:50 am »
Zog so being three years at the company do you now qualify to become a qualified plumber .

Another good question.  :thumleft:

The short answer is no, it should be 5 years of apprenticeship.

BUT, theoretically I could get up to 2 years off because of "prior experience" (I worked as an aircraft mechanic in the SAAF for 8 years, that should count), and also because I'm not a "youngster" anymore (age equals experience). Then I would have to write the Plumbers Exam, and pass it, to become a licensed plumber.

That is still the plan. I have started doing the theoretical studies, and they suck, because there is a whole lot of extra stuff involved, like gas installations and rules (plumbers do gas (propane and natural gas) work here), and a shit ton of rules and Codes and stuff. The final exam is an open-book test, but the time is limited, and if you don't have a really good idea of the answers you definitely need to know where to find the answer in the book, which is several hundred pages thick.

So a whole lot of studying lies ahead, then I will apply to take the test (that is where they will decide if I can get any "time off" the 3 years) and hopefully pass.

My boss has told me that he wants me to get the license, and will support me and help me. So yes, I am definitely going to give that a good shot  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10217 on: October 04, 2020, 02:48:05 am »
Today I had a bit of a slow day.

I have been working like a demon the last few weeks, and it has caught up with me. So no fishing, just a couple of small little projects at home, and a whole lot of chilling in my chair  :biggrin:

I went on Google Earth, and saw for the first time that the imagery has been updated to early in 2020! So for the first time I can show y'all the house we live in since we have moved in.

You can see the house, with the shutters up, acting as sun-shades over the windows. Then you can also see the workshop in the back yard, with the shutters over the side door and the end door. Behind the workshop against the fence is where I store the Jon boat, and behind the Jon boat is the little plastic shed I scored that I use as my fishing shed.

You can also see that behind the back fence is a drainage ditch, and that I keep the grass mowed not only behind my fence against the ditch, but also behind the two vacant lots nest to us. I also cut the grass on the sidewalk in the front of the two vacant lots. Keeps it all neat and tidy, and the shorter grass helps keep the critters like snakes out of the yard. You can also see the cut sections down each side of the house on the outside of the fence.

You can see that the two big trees in the back yard have no leaves, as well as the two in the front yard, you can see the "pee-corral" in the back yard next to the shiny roof that is the Florida room (enclosed porch). My bakkie isn't in the driveway, so I must have been at work, but Mrs Zog's little Kia Soul is there  :biggrin:

What you can't clearly see is the garden shed that is in the space between the back of the workshop and the fishing shed. This is because the roof is completely rusted, as are the sides, and it blends in with the dry grass.

And that's our little house, not big or fancy, but it's OURS!!!  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10218 on: October 04, 2020, 02:58:41 am »
It must be my African upbringing, because very little goes to waste in this house.

When I made the pontoons for the Jon boat I made two stands with 60 degree "V's" in them to hold the pontoons upright so I could work on them. When the pontoons were done I put them in my wood cart so I could use them for something else.

Well today was the day that they got repurposed. I used some other "scrap" wood to make some bases for them, and then I used 4 bearings that I had scored while still working as a handyman at a house we cleared out, attached to yet another bit of scrap plywood with some bolts left over from some other job.

I made two of these "stands".

Now, when I need to repair my fishing rods when an eye breaks, or when I find a fishing rod on the street and it just needs some minor repair, I can lay the rod down across the two stands and rotate the rod so I can wrap the binding around the eyes properly without the rod falling off the workbench etc.

The two stands are not joined together, so I can space them any distance apart depending on the size or length of the rod. Cost me nothing, and they work like a dream  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10219 on: October 04, 2020, 03:04:47 am »
This afternoon when Mrs Zog was done working we drove to the Tractor Supply store tp get Sammy some food.

They are the cheapest for the specific food cans that he gets as a bit of a treat with some meals. While at TS we found a new toy for Sammy. Its a soft toy with lots of pointy-outy bits for him to grab, and when Maggie also wants in on the action, there are lots of bits for her to grab a hold of too...

Only one thing....

This toy looks just like picture of the Covid-19 virus  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

So now I throw the toy for Sammy and tell him  "catch the virus Sammy!" and "come give the virus to daddy"....  :peepwall:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Sammy loves his "virus"  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: