Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What 690 model to buy?  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
Re: What 690 model to buy?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 03:52:58 pm »
I bought mine new so unless they did something when fitting the rally kit it's stock. Nothing mentioned or on the invoice though. I did adjust sag and set it quite a bit 'harder' than user manual sport settings
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline Xpat

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2016, 03:56:18 pm »
Oh sorry, I remembered wrong. Then you just really got good one or I got lemon suspension wise. Maybe we should go for a ride one of these weekends and compare - I may be seeing ghosts.

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2016, 03:58:30 pm »
Oh sorry, I remembered wrong. Then you just really got good one or I got lemon suspension wise. Maybe we should go for a ride one of these weekends and compare - I may be seeing ghosts.

Any time  :thumleft:
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline katana

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 06:21:45 am »

YZ 48mm forks should cost you +/-R4-5K max, with a rim if you negotiate well.

Including tripple clamps? I believe XCH has 45 mm forks so I don't thing you can just bolt 48 mm forks on.

OK, make that front end complete then.  Comprende?  Sheesh, you really want that 690...   :peepwall:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 07:51:01 am »
There is a vast range of settings you can dial into the KTM690 forks very quickly. On the ride I was on on Sunday Lance Trethewey changed the suspension settings for one of his mates who was struggling in the loose rock bits and it completely transformed his ride, only took a few seconds while I was sorting out a chain guide problem. Ian 
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Online Forrie

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 07:56:23 am »
Went through the the same exercise a year or so ago and eventually decided on a low mileage 2013 KTM 690......This despite numerous naysayers warning against one thing and another.

Sure, some say there are more reliable and comfortable bikes available, but how many of these are pure unadulterated fun to ride and make you smile moment you twist your right hand.

Get the the 2012 or newer and you won't regret it.
2013 KTM 690 Enduro
2001 Honda XR650R
2009 Husqvarna TE610 (Sold)

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2016, 10:26:10 am »
I'm doing the exact same research as Limacon. Following with great interest. Baie goeie info.

Have you made up your mind yet Lima?
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 10:32:06 am »

Including tripple clamps? I believe XCH has 45 mm forks so I don't thing you can just bolt 48 mm forks on.

OK, make that front end complete then.  Comprende?  Sheesh, you really want that 690...   :peepwall:

I already have 690 - you got us mixed up. I was just curious if you can get full front end including tripple clamps for that. If so I would buy some just to for keepsakes.

Offline limacon

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 10:57:20 am »
I'm doing the exact same research as Limacon. Following with great interest. Baie goeie info.

Have you made up your mind yet Lima?

Yup,

Here's the list:

KTM 300 EXC for hard rides
KTM 690 Omega for Rallye rides and hard touring
KTM 1190 R for dirt touring and occasional commute
BMW GSA for daily commute and coffee runs
BMW S1000RR for Sunday Rides
Triumph 675R for Saturday Rides
BMW K1600GTL with a trailer for the EXC

Well, one can dream! :drif: :drif: :drif:

I'm going to do a little work on the BMX, ride a couple of other bikes (including 690) and then decide.  No reason to rush into something when I have the freedom of time.

Let us know what you decide - always helpful to have objective feedback.

Cheers,

Lim

God is a comedian playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh. ~ Voltaire

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 06:35:39 am »

I already have 690 - you got us mixed up. I was just curious if you can get full front end including tripple clamps for that. If so I would buy some just to for keepsakes.

Mario at Dirtriders had a complete front with wheel and brakes for R3500.  SSS forks too.  :drif:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 10:56:01 am »
That is nice. 

Offline Xpat

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 10:58:45 am »

Mario at Dirtriders had a complete front with wheel and brakes for R3500.  SSS forks too.  :drif:

Tempting - where is Dirtriders, can you pls provide contact for them?

Ta

Offline Buff

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 11:42:51 am »
I have to admit that Im totally happy with the stock suspension on my 2014 690. I find it holds up well in most types of terrain if you play around with the clickers.

I rode GJs new 701 this past weekend and besides its front being stiffer than my 690s, I cant say I was exactly blown away by the difference, granted that mine was on a soft compression setting at the time.
I recon you really have to ride a bike like GJ does to feel the real differences (and not many of us can do that).

For the average enduro rider like myself, I honestly think it works pretty well  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 12:53:37 pm by Buff »
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline katana

• Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 12:38:45 pm »

Tempting - where is Dirtriders, can you pls provide contact for them?

Ta
Address: Shop 39B, Stella Cove, Montague Gardens, Cape Town, 7441, South Africa
Phone:+27 21 552 8514

Offline Xpat

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »
To be honest, I ride like a girl and know nothing about suspension set-up, except I do know when it makes my life difficult (I don't notice if if it's good as I usually attribute that to my skills   ;D). I have tried to play with the clickers on the forks, but somehow never found set-up that I felt completely comfortable with. To be fair, in most situations the suspension works OK (rear is actually perfectly fine after revalve and with new spring), but on occasion for no apparent reason the forks will just shot through the stroke on what looks to me as harmless obstacles, like small branch, or little washout (hell even speed humps). I just somehow don't trust it and don't know what to expect - I would almost prefer if it would be consistently crap, than these random surprises. I have suspicion that it may be unbalances/out of shape front wheel and will have somebody look into that - otherwise I just cannot understand the random nature of the thing.

I have to say also that front suspension definitely improved with aggressive front tyre (Maxxis CrossIT) - it was noticeably more crap with E09 Dakars and atrocious (but that was before revalve and respring) on those Scorpion slicks.

Offline boland

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 02:49:19 pm »
I have never experienced what you are talking about Xpat. Isn't there maybe something wrong there?

Offline Xpat

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2016, 03:02:50 pm »
Yes, I believe something is off - as I said I suspect enter out of shape or unbalanced wheel (It does go up and down on smooth tar). I believe that on the occasion when the suspension is already compressed due to unbalanced wheel and it hits obstacle it gives it enough momentum to shot through (though I would expect that compression damping would catch it eventually when the hit is not too big).
I'll try to get that fixed and see.

But I have already forks from Rally Replica on my Tenere, so I will swap them once I get them off. They are actually pretty harsh for easy cruising (I'm sure it can be fine tuned just too dumb to know how), but come into their own once pushed hard. I have never managed to bottom out those and that gives my great confidence when I overcook things.

Offline Buff

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 03:56:49 pm »
+1 for bolands comment, you need to have those forks of yours looked at, I've yet to bottom mine out and I've hit some big whoops in the quarry at sketchy speeds trying to keep up with GJ. Something is not working properly with your setup for sure Xpat.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline wolf skaap

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2016, 04:55:43 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xdKk3I6JXcI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xdKk3I6JXcI</a>

If you are looking for grin-factor with a bit more usability (practicality) than a 450, a 690/701 surely fits the bill.

The only reason for me not having one, is that I don't believe in financing my toys  :'(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:19:47 pm by wolf skaap »
Let the good times roll!

Offline yogidabear

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2016, 07:30:58 pm »
I also have burnt out my clutch but that's probably my fault.

Nope they need shims on the clutch or they do not disengage properly. Obviously it seems like your fault but its not!!!!

Sorry for the Hi-jack

You got more details about this, I'm replacing it at the moment so would like to sort out any problems now. I must say if I want to do super technical again (read wild west) then I would probably just swap out the front sprocket to gear it lower and not slip the clutch as much as I was doing but then again I'm likely not taking a 690 back there again. To also add this is an inherint problem, Not a high enough 6th gear to gear it lower enough for technical and have a good cruising speed

Burnt my 690 clutch out before 4000kms and when I went to KTM Cape Town they obviously asked how big the hills were I was riding the clutch up :) Then they discovered the clutch was never disengaging as the springs were not hard enough. Thats when I spoke to Vasco the owner / workshop manager of KTM Centurion and he stated they put shims in on the first 1000km service to address this potential issue by default. Got KTM Cape Town to speak to him, they did whatever he suggested and am now on 9000kms with no further issues.

My suggestion is do the shims as they are very very cheap in comparison and you feel no difference in functionality.

PS which 690 to buy if you not in to the image... sorry but the 701 IMHO

Nothing to do with the motor / clutch as they the same but the suspension is supposed to be better. Have never ridden one.