Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Changing the airfilters on the Africa Twin 2016  (Read 1609 times)

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Changing the airfilters on the Africa Twin 2016
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:59:34 am »
Busy prepping my bike for a long journey up north , one of the things I am looking at is changing the air cleaner on the road - especially after a dusty day on dirt roads , got my owners manual out to find the process and on page 88 where it deals with the air cleaner I am informed that this should be done by my dealer and so doesn't have a schematic on how to correctly access the air filter , does anyone have an image ( not video as I will be on the road ) or images of the air filter changing process ? For that matter also how often should I be checking the filters riding on dusty roads ? The manual says I should replace the air filters at 24 000km - that cant be right for dusty conditions . I intend to be doing over 7000km on dusty unsealed roads so at some point I am going to have to get to grips with this one . Do I have to bring additional filters along / Can I clean the filters that are already present and carry a set spare  ? Is there any bodge I could do - ie a pre filter ( stocking or something  ) over the snorkel inlet to prolong the life of my air filters ? Will this addition effect performance ?
Before I start with my screwdriver and remove panels a bit of advice would be great .
Kind of strange to bring out a bike for unsealed roads and expect a dealer to be round every corner to change air-filters

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Re: Changing the airfilters on the Africa Twin 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:29:50 pm »
Actually very easy 30 min job for both air filters
its no biggy getting to the air-filter - got myself off the pc went down stairs and started - use the tools the bike supplied - especially the star screwdriver - it fits the screws better
Once you have unscrewed , un allen keyed and unpopped all the relevant allen key bolts , screws and push fasteners ( going to get spares of these - they seem pretty fragile and easily lost ) you get to the air-filter box ( pic 1 )
Then there are 4 screws to be un-done on the box itself - once I had un-done them I couldn't get the box off - didn't budge then I noticed at the snorkel end a puck type thing that you can push out on the plastics ( pic 2 ) , this enables you to get your finger to the back of the snorkel - here you push the snorkel forward and off a rubber holder ( pic 3 ) - the airbox now comes off -the rest is elementary . Included are some pics of the push fasteners - push them in to remove and push them out to replace .
My question still is - surely this airfilter needs replacing more regularly than the 24 000km that Honda recommends ?

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:45:07 pm »
two very interesting things we noted during the crashbar design

1. The 'toolbox' that is screwed over the battery.  We replace the whole unit with a powdercoated plate to retain the battery.

2. As per your report the airfilter access is a mission.  I think the 24 000km is for tar roads. Honda might have missed the design badly here if they tout the bike as 'for offroad'

3. there is no way you can fit high crashbars without removing them to access the airfilters.  We went for a 3 point quick access design. (40 seconds to remove)

I must say, the more I look at the bike the more I am considering one.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Hugonator

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:21:15 pm »
Do you get a foam aftermarket for this model..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:42:49 pm »
On a 7000km trip, with those twin filters, I would take no spares, just remove and tap them clean at about halfway through your journey.

What I would do BEFORE the trip, is to either seal them in with grease around the edge, or even silicone them down. The silicone option means you having to take a tube along for re-sealing after halfway cleaning.
Make SURE no dust can get past the foam edges of that paper-element.

Offline Hugonator

• Pack Dog
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:18:19 am »
Has anybody taken it on serious dirt riding to see if you get any dust in the air box with only paper filters..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:01:54 am »
when I opened up the airbox to look at the filters I had done about 450km on sandy roads - the airfillters where as clean as a whistle - nothing like the thousands of Km's I intend to do in Southern Africa - will send another image after a couple of thousand . Unifilter in Australia is making a filter and pre-filter for the AT - with our rand to Aus dollar is quite expensive - maybe a pooratech prefilter in the snorkel could also help -http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d366_HONDAADV.html

Offline Hugonator

• Pack Dog
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 03:17:55 pm »
Maybe speak to Dave at off road cycle I could not believe he had stock of filter for a 690 you just might get lucky...

Offline arrowfeather

• Pack Dog
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:58:21 pm »
sub
XL500S - sold
GS650dakar- flew of a mountain
XT666R - ridin like a bat outta hell (for sale)
CRF1000l AT - sweet geezus