Short way around the delta

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpat

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Intro

For few years now I wanted to circumvent Okavango delta Maun to Maun properly - meaning riding Botswanian tracks and cutlines north of the delta between Khwai village on the east and Seronga / Shakawe in the west. I have tried to incorporate it into each of my last 3 Christmas trips, always failing due to running out of time or breakdowns. Apart from one post on a 4x4 forum I haven't heard about anybody who has done it - especially on a bike. And yet - to my surprise - the route nowadays exists even on Googlemaps and has actualy a name - Transit Road.
Makes one wonder what the heck are you lot - the cream of African adventure biking - doing :pot:.

So when my boss brought to my attention that I can have 10 days off over Easter if I take 2 or 3 days of vacation I jumped at the opportunity (wondering nonetheless why the boss wants me out of the office) to have another try at the delta circumvention. The plan was easy - ride up to delta on as much dirt as possible, circumvent the delta, do some exploration of area east of Namibian border between Tsodilo Hills and Dube border crossing and quick dash straight back to Joburg.

I do most of my trips solo mostly because I'm just too lazy to try to accommodate constrains of other people with all the attendant compromises, but decided this time to give it a go and put out feelers for a partner or two. As one would expect over family holidays most people were busy, but eventually AlanB put me in contact with Straatkat, who was keen to join. Unfortunatelly his work commitmets (he works for himself, so public holidays do not work the same way as for us corporate rats) didn't allow for the full 10 day trip. He had 4 days, so he decided to join me for two day ride up to Gweta through the Makgadikgadi pans, where he would turn back to Joburg, while I will continue to the delta.

With that settled all that remained to do was to pack up and wait for the departure on 19th of March.

Planned route:

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-17%2Bat%2B5.25.48%2BPM.png

Few teasers:

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010087.jpg

TWH02504.jpg

P1010194.jpg