Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR puzzler  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
DR puzzler
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:04:04 pm »
So a few months ago I sold my DR to Simon and bought the Honda NC.

Last week he phoned me to ask for assistance as the bike suddenly refused to start. Arranged for him and Matie to come over on Sunday so that we could trouble shoot the fault. This is a DR after all, bound to be something small.

So the motor swings over like normal, there is spark at the plugs, but the bike refuses to start.

We start with the carb, test the fuel flow and dismantle and give it a proper cleaning and service. Check needle seat and float hight, no issues. Tick.

Next up was to check the valve clearances - they are spot on, both inlet and outlet. Starting to frown now.

Take out the air filter - spotless condition and dry.

So it gets fuel, it gets air and it gets spark but it does not fire.

I pull the manual closer - next step is to check the ignition coil. Matie Sparrow takes the shortcut and pulls the plugs from his bike and fits it into Simon's. One light touch on the happy button and the DR fires up instantaneously.

The DR has two spark plugs, but it seems the primary (bought and fitted just befire I sold the bike) went South. There is a clear blue spark when you check it, but I can only surmise that it us not strong enough to spark under compression.

As Matie said - sometimes the easiest solution is the right solution. Especially on such a basic and reliable bike as the DR.

So if your DR fails to start, change out your spark plugs - the solution might just be that simple ;D

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR puzzler
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:37:37 am »
Old problem on the DR650SE is the plugs are a bit expensive ('bout twice as much as the DPR8EA9 you would find in a KLR and you need two at a time) and they are also sometimes a bit difficult to get.
Result: They don't get changed often enough and sometimes they get replaced with the wrong plugs all together.

Solution: Stock CR10E plugs and replace them at least every 20,000km.
Don't use CR8E. They do not work.

If you really struggle to find CR10E get the more expensive twin ground electrode CR10EK which is more common, equivalent to the CR10E and usually available from BMW agents since it was used on the twin spark R1150GS if I remember correctly.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:50:02 pm »
Bly julle het reg gekom. :thumleft:

Simon het maar moedeloos geklink! :'(
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »
Old problem on the DR650SE is the plugs are a bit expensive ('bout twice as much as the DPR8EA9 you would find in a KLR and you need two at a time) and they are also sometimes a bit difficult to get.
Result: They don't get changed often enough and sometimes they get replaced with the wrong plugs all together.

If you really struggle to find CR10E get the more expensive twin ground electrode CR10EK which is more common, equivalent to the CR10E and usually available from BMW agents since it was used on the twin spark R1150GS if I remember correctly.

:thumleft: Do you think they both fail together or is the secondary spark not strong enough on its own when the main one dies?

;D Vir hom gese dat hierdie n DR is dat hy nie hoef te worry nie - ons sal uitsort.

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:38:23 pm »
Hahahaha

Kykdaar looked so sad after it was JUST THE PLUGS.

He really wanted to show is electrical testing/troubleshooting skills!

Lekker game snooker na die tyd, wat n sondag!
I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 05:35:58 pm »
Ja man, I was really looking for a challenge, both with the bike and the snooker ;D

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 07:44:30 pm »
whats the km, and how is the battery lasting, I had a similar situation on my DR 750. check compression, my valves were shot. no compression . still ran but when switched off and cooled down would not start again.
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:23:34 pm »
whats the km, and how is the battery lasting, I had a similar situation on my DR 750. check compression, my valves were shot. no compression . still ran but when switched off and cooled down would not start again.

Battery brand new. Having a supposed spark is why I also zero'd in on valve clearances initially. The DR  has more than 30K on the clock and the valve clearances were still absolutely spot on. The condition of the valves and cam also still looked mint. Tough bikes these.

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:30:06 am »
not the valve clearance, the actual valve wears in the seat. and it is not holding compression in the head any more. and regarding the battery, I mean if you have been cranking motor for a long time and your battery is still strong that's a tell tale of low compression , cranking singles over under normal conditions eats the battery and should start labouring after a while of not starting.. good luck,
somehere I posted pics of the my valves worn on the DR 750 thread will try find them..

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 07:32:28 am »
not the valve clearance, the actual valve wears in the seat. and it is not holding compression in the head any more. and regarding the battery, I mean if you have been cranking motor for a long time and your battery is still strong that's a tell tale of low compression , cranking singles over under normal conditions eats the battery and should start labouring after a while of not starting.. good luck,
somehere I posted pics of the my valves worn on the DR 750 thread will try find them..

Ok, I misunderstood.  Thanks. :thumleft:

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 07:39:35 am »
Like so, my valves check DR 750 thread in techical

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 07:40:34 am »
shitty pic but valve is worn and does not seal

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 09:36:32 am »
Ek moet my head afruk, se vir Simon hy moet kom dan doen ons dit saam! 2 DR's op die operating table klink lekker!

dan kan ek parte skyffe wat beter is as myne...

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 09:51:06 am »
Ai nie geweet jy het jou DR verkoop nie, was n prime example daai
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 10:25:37 am »

:thumleft: Do you think they both fail together or is the secondary spark not strong enough on its own when the main one dies?

;D Vir hom gese dat hierdie n DR is dat hy nie hoef te worry nie - ons sal uitsort.

The centre plug is the one which MUST work. If the second (lhs) plug is poked the engine will start and idle but will tend to ping under load. If the centre plug is poked the engine will at least struggle to start and idle and might not start at all.

Trouble shoot if you suspect ONE fouled plug and don't have new ones swop them around and see if you get the symptoms as above.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 11:07:26 am »

Het gevou onder pressure ;D

Simon het hom nog mooier gemaak.

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 11:17:33 am »

Dross jy lekker?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 11:33:07 am »

Dross jy lekker?

Ek se net hallo! :thumleft:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE