KTM 990S - starting issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smittie2

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I am busy fixing a mate of mines 990S, that does not want to start. Just a bit of back ground on the bike, it had a intermediate starting issue, if you press the starting button nothing, then when you jump start it, it cranks and start. The owner was not very worried (nothing bothers him), because there was always people helping, until he and his son went for a ride, they tried to jump start it again and gave up leaving the bike at his parents house, standing there for the past year now.

So I went and fetch it and is busy fixing it. The battery was gone, replaced it with a good quality battery, sure the intermitted starting problem was the battery. The bike cranks strong, but does not start. Checked all wiring and confirm that it has spark. Check the electric of fuel pump and it runs when the bike gets switch on. I put a little bit of fuel in the throttle bodies and it immediately fire up. So it is definitely a fuel issue. I stripped the fuel pump and the filters does not look too bad, but you can never say.

My question

- is it a dirty filter issue, letting through no fuel (there was fuel pressure on the supply of the throttle bodies???)
-The jump start might have blown some control of the injectors?
-The pump not deliver enough fuel/pressure to injectors?

Is there a way I can test the pump outside the bike to confirm if it is working?

Thanks