Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I have a dream ..............  (Read 14910 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: I have a dream ..............
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2017, 07:06:56 am »
I've been neglecting this thread for too long now!

Thanks cheesy for the inspiration!

Currently it's all about planning, bike prep and training.  I am very fortunate to have slotted in with Jan's team and I'm learning a lot!  The Dakar drama is also truly inspirational and how is our hero Joey doing? - WOW! 

Training wise we started well over the holidays.  Started running/walking for the first time in a decade - on the beach in sand.  I heard there's a lot of sand on the Baja so though I might as well get used to it!  It was however short lived when I hurt my back - second time this year!  Fortunately muscle related only, so I had to keep it easy for the rest of the holidays.

There was also the Karoo trip we did on the bikes and I think the long days riding was good saddle time, although obviously not at race pace.  There was sections of some really awesome gravel twisties and more technical stuff that I used to ride at pace.

Back is nearly good to go and I've started slowly on a bit of exercise again, cautious not to stuff it up now.  I'm fortunate to have slotted in with Jan (Sand) Coetzee's team and we're all busy with logistics and training on the bike kicks off properly next weekend.

I'll do my best to keep this thread alive from now on.

If there's any guys out there still contemplating whether to enter the Baja or not - go for it! If I can do it, so can you.  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2017, 11:23:30 am »
I've been neglecting this thread for too long now!

Thanks cheesy for the inspiration!

Currently it's all about planning, bike prep and training.  I am very fortunate to have slotted in with Jan's team and I'm learning a lot!  The Dakar drama is also truly inspirational and how is our hero Joey doing? - WOW! 

Training wise we started well over the holidays.  Started running/walking for the first time in a decade - on the beach in sand.  I heard there's a lot of sand on the Baja so though I might as well get used to it! It was however short lived when I hurt my back - second time this year!  Fortunately muscle related only, so I had to keep it easy for the rest of the holidays.

There was also the Karoo trip we did on the bikes and I think the long days riding was good saddle time, although obviously not at race pace.  There was sections of some really awesome gravel twisties and more technical stuff that I used to ride at pace.

Back is nearly good to go and I've started slowly on a bit of exercise again, cautious not to stuff it up now.  I'm fortunate to have slotted in with Jan (Sand) Coetzee's team and we're all busy with logistics and training on the bike kicks off properly next weekend.

I'll do my best to keep this thread alive from now on.

If there's any guys out there still contemplating whether to enter the Baja or not - go for it! If I can do it, so can you.  :thumleft:

Lekker kry ek nou lag. :lol8:
Beplan jy om die Baja ry of te stap of gaan dit met die KTM wees ;D
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:39 pm »
Howzit Kobus
This is an awesome goal bud! Go chase that dream.
I see you are in Gauteng, I would love to ride with you sometime, just let me know when. I'm no pro rider but would be happy to help with any Amageza advice you might need or just to chat about how it all works and what to watch out for. I'm trying to ride 2-3 times a week so any day in the week suits me fine as well. I'm cool with an out ride or at a track or whatever. Just need time in the saddle. Let me know if your keen.
Happy dream chasing ;D
Joey

Hi Joey,

If you're not too tired, can we go ride on Monday?  :lol8:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2017, 09:09:06 am »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :thumleft: :thumleft:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
I have a dream ..............
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2017, 01:43:11 pm »
Since the last update, I've really got my head right and arse into gear.  The Joey factor had a huge role to play and now I also look forward to following another ZA Dakar hero in the making -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=204606.0.  Together with the new life that's soon to be blown into the springbokkie (http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=202521.20), there's certainly enough to read on the forum lately for the rally enthusiasts.

Bike prep is going full steam ahead.  Cap to be fitted during the week as well as the rear tank.  Really still uncertain about fitting it, especially with the new distances determined for the Baja.  The 18 litre front tank somehow feels enough for a 250km refuel point.  But it's like Jan said, rather have it and don't need it, than need it and don't have it.  Who knows how lost I'll get with the first time navigation!

Training wise I've found it quite frustrating.  It's the first time I exercise in a gym and don't really know what to do.  For now stuck to some treadmill and spinning cardio and strength training.  The spinning is not working out as I found there is no exercise bicycle that caters for our tall okes, so the riding position is all wrong.  I might have to schedule that for weekends on the MTB.

I've also googled quite a bit for some training advice.  I attach some of these documents for those who'd like to have a look.  I've also updated my cost tracker and will post that shortly for those interested in also doing a Baja event for the first time.  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:48:03 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 08:28:32 pm »
After 3 nights of training, the body gave me a clear message this morning to take a rest.  I'm aching in places that I didn't know I have!

Will take it slow for the next two days and go for a early morning cycle on Saturday.  Man, it's not easy getting back to exercising!  Does feel good doing something again though.

Tonight I fitted the ICO and CAP.  . CAP's wiring will be done tomorrow.

This Sunday is scheduled for about 160km in the saddle so really looking forward to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-David Livingstone-

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 10:27:43 pm »

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 11:58:44 am »
Unfortunately can't embed these videos.  Some nice videos from Lyndon Poskitt on his navigation equipment and tools.

https://www.facebook.com/adventurespec/videos/1218775914826637/

https://www.facebook.com/adventurespec/videos/1219761168061445/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:05:38 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »
Lekker K  :biggrin:

Gan kuier vir jou local Fietswinkel

mens kry so roller bracket storie wat jy jou MTB Bike se agter wiel opsit dan kan jy op een plek stil staan en trap,
en soos jy se mens begin ma stadig oefen en onthou om op te warm voor die tyd rek en strek anders skeur n man dalk net n spier of 6 wat jaare laas geoefen was  :ricky:

Jou bike lyk befok sal graag eendag wil kom loer 
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2017, 12:41:54 pm »

mens kry so roller bracket storie wat jy jou MTB Bike se agter wiel opsit dan kan jy op een plek stil staan en trap,
en soos jy se mens begin ma stadig oefen en onthou om op te warm voor die tyd rek en strek anders skeur n man dalk net n spier of 6 wat jaare laas geoefen was  :ricky:

Jy is enige tyd welkom om te kom kuier zetman!  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2017, 01:28:52 pm »
For anyone who's still considering the Baja, attached is also the race guide as a matter of interest.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:29 pm »
It's all getting real now!  :ricky:

MSA license ✅

-David Livingstone-

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2017, 08:49:40 pm »

Dan maak jy so vir ekstra weerstand
Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2017, 08:52:16 pm »
 :imaposer:

Dis nou windgat!  :biggrin:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2017, 03:29:07 pm »
Had some fun prepping today.

Marking the wiring of those bits I install.  Will go back to the others when time allows.

Camera housing installed for those Oops moments.

Instrumentation done   Rockfox ICO and CAP - Dankie Oom Adie.  :thumleft:

All ready for tomorrow's practice.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:46:58 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2017, 03:38:48 pm »

Lekker kry ek nou lag. :lol8:
Beplan jy om die Baja ry of te stap of gaan dit met die KTM wees ;D

Ek maak my maar reg vir enige ding Vaalbaas.  :lol8:  Nou die aand op die treadmill toe dog ek reeds, ek oefen nou so hard, as ek hom nie klaar gery kry nie, draf ek hom sommer klaar.  :imaposer:

-David Livingstone-

Offline husky

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2017, 08:57:37 am »
All the best Kobus. The training can be kak boring so focus on the goal can help.  Enjoy your 160km and hope it goes well. In MTB it is said there is nothing like TITS (Time In The Saddle).

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
I have a dream ..............
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2017, 03:49:23 pm »
All the best Kobus. The training can be kak boring so focus on the goal can help.  Enjoy your 160km and hope it goes well. In MTB it is said there is nothing like TITS (Time In The Saddle).

Thanks husky.

I agree with ....... uhmmmmmm ........... your TITS? .

Today was absolutely awesome, although we didn't get close to our target distance.  It was simply too wet after last nights rain.  It made for some interesting riding though and made you concentrate and test your balance non stop.

Fortunately only ran out of talent once today and that in the sandpit, so no damage.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:42:39 pm by ktmkobus »

-David Livingstone-

Offline desertfox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KlE 300 x
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2017, 04:37:57 pm »
Sterkte ek is ses dae ouer as jy  :biggrin:
My the force be with You

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2017, 04:40:38 pm »
Sterkte ek is ses dae ouer as jy  :biggrin:

Jy meen seker ons verskil 6 dae en is ewe jonk!  :biggrin:

-David Livingstone-