Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2016  (Read 12033 times)

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
Re: Roof of Africa 2016
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
hak vrystaat

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2016, 04:47:05 pm »
Sounds like it was a real cock-up. It's one thing if the event is tough, and there are few finishers due to attrition, but it is another if there are few finishers simply because of organisational blunders.

Any updates on the death on Snakebite Pass? Hopefully it is just a rumour.
'69 Model.

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2016, 08:04:54 am »
According to Moto101 rider number 444 fell and broke his neck. Very sad and also the first fatality at the roof I think.

hak vrystaat

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2016, 08:35:32 am »
This year the Roof left us with bitter-sweet memories. I will start a little ride report.

Sad to hear the terrible news of WILLIE-JOHN LE HANIE (#444) accident and death.
Our thoughts are with his family.

I gave my camera to one of the guys that went along to support me with the instructions to
take pictures and video. This morning I found this amongst the rest.

Offline Serf

« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2016, 08:55:51 am »
RIP

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Offline SteveD

« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2016, 11:09:41 am »
Condolences to all that knew him. Shit happens when racing, but it's kak when shit like this happens.

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2016, 04:31:29 pm »
This year the Roof left us with bitter-sweet memories. I will start a little ride report.

Sad to hear the terrible news of WILLIE-JOHN LE HANIE (#444) accident and death.
Our thoughts are with his family.

I gave my camera to one of the guys that went along to support me with the instructions to
take pictures and video. This morning I found this amongst the rest.

Tragic.

Looking forward to your RR Michiel.
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Online edgy

« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2016, 05:57:41 pm »
Well done Michiel, you were still looking very strong at St Benedicts refuel yesterday :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2016, 06:54:56 pm »
Fantastic effort, Michiel, and well done on such an excellent finish.

Offline Jayman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • In Doubt go FLAT out!
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2016, 08:18:17 am »
Hi guys

Will also compile a small riders reports on ROA 16. Very sad on death of rider #444. I was in snake bite pass almost at the top when I heard it happen.
The organizers will have to get there act together, I wont be suprized if IMPI becomes the new roof.

I met Michiel at Round the houses and start of friday .. What a nice guy.  Looks like you managed to get a finishers medal .. Well done.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2016, 09:19:58 am »
Hey Michiel - well done on finishing Silver! Outstanding effort. I was following from a distance this year - it looked like absolute carnage out there and probably the toughest Roof in many years. RIP #444. so sad. Looking forward to the ride report!

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2016, 12:17:29 pm »
Yes Satuday was a war zone of note.
It took us 1.5hours to climb the first section of Snakebite and at around 3:30pm we decided to turn around and go down because the row of bikes ahead of us was extremely long and not moving at all.

The route on Saterday had a number of very dangerous off camber climbs and by 11am I was totally farked and decided I had enough.

There is one bonus though, I lost 2.5kg in the process ;D
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2016, 02:25:12 pm »
ROA have definitely created a shit storm of note - been brewing for awhile. Unfortunately an arrogance persists where riders do not feel they have a voice that is listened to by the organisers and taken seriously. Sure some problems get addressed but then they are repeated again a year or two later. The story of bronze riders (or bronzy silver riders) bottlenecking passes resulting in competent riders being time barred has been an issue repeatedly over recent years (this is why good riders ignored the marshals and rode on when told they were disqualified). Spending R30-50K (bike and time excluded) on ones ROA only to be shafted by stupid organisational errors will inevitably create anger.

The dick swinging issue within the extreme enduro scene where the various international events try and out swing the other with the most radical or impossible events is also rife - we all know that the bronze routes of the past weekend were gold class routes not that long ago … and indeed bronze riders were doing gold passes with the gold. It is very very sad that a life was lost but many have said that it is astounding that there have not been more fatalities in recent years. One cannot put bucket list bronze riders (qualifier or no qualifier) on some of those passes. The claims of having 3000 litres of water and 1000 energy bars at DSP's is also bollocks - a group of us were at the self refuel at St Benedict's and the marshals had 20 litres of water when we arrived … we had to intervene and organise containers and water as riders were arriving with empty camelbacks … some petrol cans missing (we assembled left over fuel for riders). There was no marshal actually monitoring the refuelling ... riders astride bikes … not on hazmats… receiving assistance etc. - only marshal was at the checkpoint. The previous day there was a refuel on a sharp downhill corner!? While on the subject why can the petrol cans not be assembled in numerical sequence (even if just basically) … they do it at Impi. Ever seen a rider trying to find his can (even if marked) amongst a mixed up klompomp of 300+ cans? 

Ja, MSA needs to do an audit of the event - not that most have faith in MSA anyway.  ::)  Red Bull will also distance themselves again from this event if it does not shine up.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:29:10 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online edgy

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2016, 02:43:04 pm »
Unfortunately I have to agree with Dom, I have been at the past 12 ROA`s having ridden 7 and pit crewed twice otherwise spectated so obviously a huge fan but the event is becoming a joke!! The routes marked by a chap on foot??? Bronze going up an obvious Gold class ability pass...ahead of Gold/Silver?? Ive wanted to ride this event as a dream with my son for many years which I recently realized was not realistic, after spectating at the various points over the weekend I dont think Im sending my 16 year old (very capable) boy into that mess! :o
I can honestly say that had we not decided to spectate at St Benedicts on Saturday there would have been many riders leaving for the most hectic portion of the day with no water! Dom is quite right, 20l of water was all that was available for the many hot exhausted riders...this AFTER them being assured that water and energy snacks would be available - what a joke! Theres a big difference between a tough event and plain shit dont give a f%&* organisation! 
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline BIGMAC

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • KTM 1290 R the Ultimate Weapon
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2016, 02:58:37 pm »
Edgy, Big Dom - I support your comments we were also there and it seemed nothing was properly organised from the start. The refuel at  St Benedicts was a shambles, no water, people couldn't find there petrol etc. They could not even get the GPS Co Ords right in the beginning for the Spectator Map. In all the years i have been going, this was one of the worst I have watched from a spectating point of view. Lack of organization. Just my thoughts but we had a great time at Ramabantha. I just hope they get it right for next year.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2016, 05:39:21 pm »
How on earth can such a famous, long standing event be riddled with such cock-ups? Scarcely believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2016, 05:22:26 am »
Excellent open letter on the Roof page, adds to much of what I have said. ROA Org need a BIG wake up call.  :-\  We have excellent event organisers like Red Cherry and those that do the Impi to help save the Roof. They just need to look at some of the other big events, including the cycling ones, to get an idea of what is expected of a proper international event.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RoofOfAfrica/permalink/1176363089120698/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:27:06 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2016, 08:07:34 am »
To be fair, they only made one mistake.
One massive event transforming mistake that cost someone their life.

If the routes from Mokopu were split this would have been the most successful roof ever. 

Online edgy

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:22 am »
Shark that is far from the truth...although maybe their biggest mistake, having no water that was assured to be at the unassisted points could also have been life threatening under the conditions!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2016, 09:06:34 am »
There was a shitload of mistakes, yes some worse than others. As edgy says - water was major … with 90 guys bottlenecked for hours and dehydrating and a desperado call made to spectators to donate water to drop by chopper ….  :dousing:  Trackers with no SOS function!? Routes not pre-run and marked by trail runners rather than riders. In your face passes linked consecutively with no chance for riders and machines to cool and catch their breath at altitude. Goal posts moved regarding riders ignoring marshals and time bars and chicken runs for finishers medals - Clerk of the Course decisions over ruled etc etc.  :-\