Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2016  (Read 12301 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: Roof of Africa 2016
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2016, 11:03:00 am »
I think the reference is to Push-me pass maybe.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2016, 11:05:45 am »
RESPONSE ROOF OF AFRICA 2016 - VARIOUS ISSUES

It has become apparent that an oversight by the route markers had led to the Bronze and Silver track being incorrectly marked from the top of the climb before Snakebite which did not form part of the original planned route.
The merging of the gold, silver and bronze tracks was not the cause of the problem as the original track layout provided that bronze riders would get to the climb 1 to 2 hrs ahead followed by Silver an additional 1 hr behind. By the time Gold arrived there would only be a few backmarkers on the first climb. Unfortunately with the route incorrectly going up Snakebite it caused a massive bottleneck which simply grew by the second as more riders arrived.

The part in Bold doesn't make sense to me. First they say they made a mistake with the route for Silver and Bronze going up Snakebite because of incorrect marking. Then in the very next sentence they say the original track layout would have allowed Bronze to get there first, then Silver then Gold. Which other climb are they then referring to if all 3 classes were supposed to go up it then?

Am I reading too deep into this?

Also dont understand, and a gap of 1 to 2 hours is not nearly enough for a pass like that dont you think?

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2016, 11:31:55 am »

They went down push me not up
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline edgy

« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2016, 12:21:48 pm »

They went down push me not up
Thats correct and still should not be in Bronze!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2016, 04:35:59 pm »
True  and true - yes so ambiguous official press release. Think we must ask the question in the RoA faebook page where it was published.

Shit Motul must be kakking themselves (and on RoA Org) after throwing money at this event and splashing their name everywhere including on the logo - best things were their brolly galls  >:D
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2016, 09:25:59 pm »
OK - in re-reading the press release it appears that all classes did the initial climb to the start of Snakebite and Bronze were then meant to divert but were directed onto Snakebite physically by markings and by GPS this was the mistake.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2016, 07:42:40 am »
With absolutely no evidence to suggest they intended Bronze and Silver to go around.
At all other splits there were marshals to direct riders, nothing here.
All GPS routes go over; like they intended. 

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2016, 08:56:19 am »
With absolutely no evidence to suggest they intended Bronze and Silver to go around.
At all other splits there were marshals to direct riders, nothing here.
All GPS routes go over; like they intended.

Agreed - the faarkup was not a spur of the moment thing but embedded in the final routes and loaded to GPS's ... whether there was any thought otherwise in prior planning will never be known and just conjecture. They erred BIG TIME.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2016, 12:33:30 pm »
Terrible that a guy has to die before change takes place. :(

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BIGMAC

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • KTM 1290 R the Ultimate Weapon
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2016, 02:49:21 pm »
I heard today that the 2017 Roof proposed dates 16, 17, 18 Nov??? Any truth in that??

Offline edgy

« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »
I heard today that the 2017 Roof proposed dates 16, 17, 18 Nov??? Any truth in that??
Quite possible....to make things more challenging for the fast growing scholar participants??
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2016, 04:33:08 pm »
Quite possible....to make things more challenging for the fast growing scholar participants??

Or fucking impossible as it may be slap bang in the middle of their exams!  :peep wall:  They did a survey last year because of the outcry of clashes with school exams and the dates and the overwhelming result indicated that it should be early December. They juggled dates this year and changed the initial MSA Calendar dates but I think they were fine in the end.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:37:45 pm by BiG DoM »