Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2017 West Coast Baja: The Race is ON!!!  (Read 30501 times)

Offline WDT

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
    • Willem du Toit Dakar
Re: 2017 West Coast Baja: The Race is ON!!!
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2017, 08:05:46 am »
Jis guys 4 weeks to go and still plenty to do.

What do you guys typically carry with you in terms of spares? And how do you fit/carry this to the bike?

I was thinking large camelback with space for 4/5liters of water, medical pack and basics like cable ties and duct tape.

But that will get very heavy on your back, and you haven't even mentioned tyre levers and spare tubes yet...

Waar is die manne wat weet? Share your wisdom with the rookies please
  :deal: :deal:

Jis Charl

Ek verdeel al die spares tussen my camelback, baadjie sakke, toolbag in my bashplate en cabel tie goed vas aan die bike frame.

Die goed wat jy vinnig moet by uitkom, bv leatherman, KTM 8 Tool, snacks, paar cable ties sit ek in my baadjie sakke.

Medic kit, radio, thermals of reenbaadjie (hang af van die weer of dit nodig is) en nog snacks in my camelback en die res van die spares in die bashplate.

Goed soos clutch lever, extra cable ties ens cable tie ek aan die bike frame.( ek is versigtig om swaar goed soos tubes aan die tower vas te sit, die extra gewig kan jou tower maklik breek (2 keer in 4 Amageza`s vir my)

Gaan jy vlgde naweek race in Hopetown? as jy daar is kan ons lekker gesels!

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:06 pm »
Baie dankie Kobus - dit wil vir my voorkom of jy redelik in beheer is  :thumleft: Jou bike build lyk awesome.
Verder wil dit my ook voorkom asof ek nog heelwat shopping het om te doen  :P
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2017, 07:06:42 pm »
Jis guys 4 weeks to go and still plenty to do.

What do you guys typically carry with you in terms of spares? And how do you fit/carry this to the bike?

I was thinking large camelback with space for 4/5liters of water, medical pack and basics like cable ties and duct tape.

But that will get very heavy on your back, and you haven't even mentioned tyre levers and spare tubes yet...

Waar is die manne wat weet? Share your wisdom with the rookies please
  :deal: :deal:

Jis Charl

Ek verdeel al die spares tussen my camelback, baadjie sakke, toolbag in my bashplate en cabel tie goed vas aan die bike frame.

Die goed wat jy vinnig moet by uitkom, bv leatherman, KTM 8 Tool, snacks, paar cable ties sit ek in my baadjie sakke.

Medic kit, radio, thermals of reenbaadjie (hang af van die weer of dit nodig is) en nog snacks in my camelback en die res van die spares in die bashplate.

Goed soos clutch lever, extra cable ties ens cable tie ek aan die bike frame.( ek is versigtig om swaar goed soos tubes aan die tower vas te sit, die extra gewig kan jou tower maklik breek (2 keer in 4 Amageza`s vir my)

Gaan jy vlgde naweek race in Hopetown? as jy daar is kan ons lekker gesels!

Jis Willem dankie vir die tips. Ek gaan ongelukkig nie Hopetown toe nie nee. Sou graag daai FX wou sien en hoor! Cheers
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2017, 03:48:01 am »
What Willem & ktmkobus have said is spot on. :thumleft:

Try to get as much onto your bike as possible. If you are going to take a chain master link, you might as well take a chain breaker. ;D

Kobus: Why the dishwashing liquid? I take one of those tiny bottles of baby oil and some tissues. 1) to clean my ass properly after the inevitable boskak, and also as a top up for brake fluid in an emergency.

Making sure you have a clean ass is better than having a shitty one that chafes you in your glory in. :imaposer:

I would add you should take 2 x 3L camelbacks. The best ones are the KTM rehydration ones. Easiest and lightest, also really quick to refill/open etc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:48:50 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2017, 03:49:49 am »
@ Camelman - My friend, another Amageza is the best news I have heard since November last year. :thumright:

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
2017 West Coast Baja: The Race is ON!!!
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2017, 06:29:53 am »

Try to get as much onto your bike as possible. If you are going to take a chain master link, you might as well take a chain breaker. ;D

Chain breaker packed

Kobus: Why the dishwashing liquid?

Dishwashing liquid to help slip the bead back on the rim.  :thumleft:  Carried in these little containers.

I would add you should take 2 x 3L camelbacks. The best ones are the KTM rehydration ones. Easiest and lightest, also really quick to refill/open etc.

Is this 2 x 3L bladders or camelbacks complete BB?  I have a Mule with 3L bladder and was hoping this was enough to see me to the DSP.

Making sure you have a clean ass is better than having a shitty one that chafes you in your glory in. :imaposer:

That's what this is for.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:31:10 am by ktmkobus »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2017, 07:24:03 am »
I curious...
In the event of a puncture, what would be your process for getting either wheel on and off? What would you use to support the bike?

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2017, 07:34:12 am »
I curious...
In the event of a puncture, what would be your process for getting either wheel on and off? What would you use to support the bike?

I have no idea GraZer.  Guess it will have to be something of "boer maak 'n plan" story.  A rock, branches, fake a injury for the chopper to land and have the pilot hold up the bike .....  :biggrin:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:20 am »
Flying Brick have stock of these. They break down into 3 parts and are very compact.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:46:48 am by GraZer »

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2017, 07:48:10 am »
Modify an old crutch

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:48:53 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:46 am »
Nifty ideas, but I think I'll take my chances and not carry more stuff.  Mousses front and back so really hoping that it won't be necessary. 

I hope I don't regret it and hear "I told you so"  :eek7:

-David Livingstone-

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2017, 07:57:37 am »
If it makes you feel any better. I won't be carrying any tubes, levers or a prop stand.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:47 am »
If it makes you feel any better. I won't be carrying any tubes, levers or a prop stand.

You'll be in front of me and of no use in the event I have a problem anyways.   :lol8:

-David Livingstone-

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2017, 08:02:50 am »
May I ask what mousses you will be running?

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:05 am »
May I ask what mousses you will be running?

Michelin Desert race & bib mousses.  :thumleft:

-David Livingstone-

Offline Xpat

« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2017, 08:57:00 am »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2017, 10:54:36 am »
Modify an old crutch

+ another 1 for the modified old crutch. They weigh boggerol, and comfortably hold up my ( rather heavy) 650.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:44:18 am by SteveD »

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2017, 12:42:56 pm »
If everyone's showing off the crutches...
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2017, 04:29:51 pm »
Bloody hell, a rally topic degenerated into discussing crutches holding up bikes. :imaposer:

It tells me a couple of things:
1) Everyone have broken legs riding  :lol8:
2) Crutches are a great DS accessory - Take note Chris - You should have crutches in your biking accessories shop in CT :deal: :laughing7:

But I would not bother. Jonathan, most guys (including me) cable tie a couple of those short tyre levers to the frame somewhere. No problem if you have a RFR. ;)

Has anyone tried wrestling off a Michelin desert with just two short tyre levers and a leatherman?

Looks something like this:

Except in the desert sun. i.e. even more crap.

That's why I also have one longer screwdriver on my bike as a tyre lever or general poking tool.

Is this 2 x 3L bladders or camelbacks complete BB?  I have a Mule with 3L bladder and was hoping this was enough to see me to the DSP.

That's what this is for.  :biggrin:

Bliksem, those are small sheets of toilet paper!!  :laughing4: I have seen them before but I dare say you need to be precise the way you use them!  :snorting:

Re the water bladders:
Rather get a larger backpack and have two in that. I was able to get two x 3L bladders into the standard KTM backpack. One in its usual pouch, the other in the pouch for tools etc. ::) I jury rigged the top of the bladder with a piece of string to hold it up.

That meant I had to put only really thin things and only a couple of energy bars and stuff in my backpack. The rest of my food ended up under my seat... ::) But if you can afford a fancy rally jacket the pockets will do the trick. I also have all my tools on the bike. I previously had them on my back and its amazing how much more the weight tires you out. Its my personal preference, but others choose to do differently.

I drink a lot of water so I prefer to take more, and have one camelback with go-go juice. Nothing worse than being stuck, out of water in the middle of a hot desert...a recipe for heat stroke. I strongly recommend you get two.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:34:09 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline GraZer

• Race Dog
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2017, 05:08:08 pm »
I was able to get two x 3L bladders into the standard KTM backpack

That way if you take a hard fall, at least one should survive. Or did both yours burst? :pot: