Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)  (Read 9289 times)

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
Re: The Livingstone Cup: The ultimate adventure race (11-16 Jun '17)
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 07:11:55 am »
It has been mentioned that if you cant afford it dont attend. But why not leave out the prize money? Make it so hard that only 20% of the field will finish. That way you get some serious bragging rights and surely the entry fee will come down considerably?

Offline Rebelwithacause

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 08:18:28 am »
A date has been set!!! :ricky: :ricky:

need to get some cash together !!! :spitcoffee:
"Once the mind has been expanded, it can never go back to its previous dimensions"

Offline Charel

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2016, 08:22:58 am »
will be keeping an eye on this, sound interesting
2003 BMW R1150GSA
Adventure is just a push of a button away

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2016, 08:52:51 am »
It has been mentioned that if you cant afford it dont attend. But why not leave out the prize money? Make it so hard that only 20% of the field will finish. That way you get some serious bragging rights and surely the entry fee will come down considerably?

Firstly, it's incredibly difficult to gauge the average level of competency among the Adventure Rider fraternity. Even if you have completed every single course offered in South Africa for off-road riding, you'll likely not to be able to complete even one day on the Amageza. On the other side we have had a guy who wrote 'Farm experience only' on his CV, yet finished in the top 10!

Like with any product one has to first gauge interest. One way of doing that is to dangle a carrot. A team of 4 could win the cup, and have a profit of R30 000 each after expenses. (That's if they already have kit). Taking the prizes away will make the entry fee maybe R 1000 cheaper. That's not much in the bigger scheme of things. If I could get a nice big sponsor on board, that will change things considerably. But with only 15 riders interested, not a snowballs chance in hell.

I can't approach KTM. They don't believe in marketing. They believe their bikes are so incredible, they sell themselves. A 'brought to you by KTM' might also scare off the other riders, thinking this is going to be a sausage contest. On the other hand I can't approach BMW for the opposite reason. Although they believe in marketing (hence the 70% motorcycle sales in SA) the general perception is that their riders drive from coffee-shop to coffee-shop, with maybe a bit of gravel to get dust on the bikes. So the KTM riders will think its a duck-walk contest.

Suzuki has nothing one would be interested in.

Yamaha has good bikes, but they seem to only support plastic racing. I have yet to see Yamaha with a presence of more than 1 bike on any Amageza.

That leaves us with Honda. I think to re-launch the Africa-Twin on The Livingstone Cup is perfect for them. As a 'dark-horse' amongst riders, neither BMW nor KTM's will feel intimidated or neglected. I have made contact twice and the response was between about 3, where 0='Not Interested' and 10= 'Hell Yeah'. Like with Amageza I can't allow sponsorship that will detract from the brand. Like getting 'Dove for woman' to sponsor. Even if I'm desperate for the dough, I won't be associated with a 'pussy' brand.

It's time Men were Men again. Enough of the metro-man-I-can-cook-and-knit-and-cry-in-movies crap. Time men do men things. Going on a epic trip with your bike as your trusted friend with mates you will depend on is a start!  >:D

Offline SteveD

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2016, 09:17:21 am »
It's time Men were Men again. Enough of the metro-man-I-can-cook-and-knit-and-cry-in-movies crap. Time men do men things. Going on a epic trip with your bike as your trusted friend with mates you will depend on is a start!  >:D

Ghh. That's a challenge for the lady riders out there. Come on Minxy and Malibu, enter as a team and win it!

Offline Angora Goat

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2016, 09:22:28 am »
I like the plan.  The less rules the better, although I support some limits on speeding.  One favour please - No tracks via Zimbabwe - Just too much of a nightmare dealing with the authority, roadblocks, etc.

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 09:36:44 am »
Lekker. I just spoke to the Boss to see if I would be able to go on a "tour" that week. We are normally doing fieldwork from end of May until September so winter is normally a no go but this time an exception can be made  :ricky:

So, now to find money/sponsors/a rich wife/the missing kruger rands  >:D
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:09 am »
So just to make sure I understand correctly, if this is pitched for 1000cc bikes then a KLR650 will do it as well?

I ask because myself and my potential team mate can only compete if we can use our regular bikes.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:12 am »
So just to make sure I understand correctly, if this is pitched for 1000cc bikes then a KLR650 will do it as well?

I ask because myself and my potential team mate can only compete if we can use our regular bikes.

You can enter on a 50cc 2-stroke. But its doable on a 1200cc . So the target market is the 1-liter class market. I would prefer a KTM 690 or Husky 700 with a Thomas Eich (Omega) rally kit on!  ;D

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 10:49:27 am »

:thumleft:
I like the way you think :ricky:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:50:47 am by Orangeswifty »
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 11:08:49 am »

You can enter on a 50cc 2-stroke. But its doable on a 1200cc . So the target market is the 1-liter class market. I would prefer a KTM 690 or Husky 700 with a Thomas Eich (Omega) rally kit on!  ;D

Awesome :ricky: Time to gear up my scheming. In the process again of buying a bike, once that scheming is successful stage two will start so I can fund these shenanigans.  O0

Always wanted to do a rally style race, reckon this will be a good start. Time to study how to navigate with a roadbook though  :lamer:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:28 am »
I like the plan.  The less rules the better, although I support some limits on speeding.  One favour please - No tracks via Zimbabwe - Just too much of a nightmare dealing with the authority, roadblocks, etc.

Cops are only on the main roads, in Zim which we would not be on. :deal:

Anyway, you don't have to be afraid of them, just never pay a bribe.  :deal:

Anyway, most of them are actually nice guys, just really desperate

Anyway, Zim has some really, really awesome DS riding.

Anyway border delays and drama is supposed to be part of the challenge (just never pay a bribe or a fixer).

Anyway, you heard what he said "It's time Men were Men again. Enough of the metro-man-I-can-cook-and-knit-and-cry-in-movies crap." :imaposer:

Come on Zimbabwe would be fun! (I just don't know if Alexander is man enough to go up there ;) :peepwall: )

:ricky:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 12:58:44 pm »
Sub.

Sounds interesting.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 01:26:30 pm »

Anyway, Zim has some really, really awesome DS riding.

Anyway border delays and drama is supposed to be part of the challenge (just never pay a bribe or a fixer).

Anyway, you heard what he said "It's time Men were Men again. Enough of the metro-man-I-can-cook-and-knit-and-cry-in-movies crap." :imaposer:

Come on Zimbabwe would be fun! (I just don't know if Alexander is man enough to go up there ;) :peepwall: )

:ricky:

There is always this struggle with what I want to do, what I have to do, what others want me to do, what FIM Africa wants me to do, etc. At the end of the day I think Nam and Bots is a good starting point for this event. Its familiar, I have contacts there and in particular Botswana where we have raced last year. To try and get the government on our side in Zim may be futile and will require the entry fee to double to cover the documented, and undocumented costs...

You know, if this works, we may be able to change rally for the better. Back to real men. No support teams, no luxury thorn-free bivvies.... :biggrin:

Even for this year. We can start it within 2000 km of Cape Town. That can be Moz, Nam, Bots and a Angola. But I think for year 1, stay in area's I know every bush, track and farmer. And where I have good relations with the government. So most likely Northern Cape & Botswana, with some Namibia to keep everyone honest  :biggrin:

On the other hand. We can just about go anywhere. Bot we'll stay south of Angola, Zim and Zam for now.

Come on VOTE!!  If we have 100 + votes it's worth opening entries for it.:thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:41:37 pm by Camelman »

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 02:06:29 pm »
Would love to give it a go but my commitment already on the enduro bike scene wont financially allow it  :-[

And if this event picks up it will for sure be a massive thing. Huge market to attract.

Offline DE

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 02:24:17 pm »
Come on VOTE!!  :deal: :deal: :ricky: :ricky:
Africa Twin 1000, KLR 650 (Fugly), VStrom 650

SOLD: KLR 650 (New Shape); KTM 950 SE; 1200GS; Honda CTX 200; KTM 950 Adv; BMW F650 GS; BMW F650 GS Dakar; KTM 640 Adv

Offline RubKLE

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 02:53:28 pm »
I understand the burger and bread argument but for some of us this type of advenure will stay a dream. It's not just about the fee but there is a lot of stuff planned and unforeseen that goes into a project like this. But that is just life seperating the strong from the weak. If you have a button that says- this is my dream- then I'll gladly vote :thumleft:
Smell the dirt!

Offline Minxy

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 04:11:21 pm »

Ghh. That's a challenge for the lady riders out there. Come on Minxy and Malibu, enter as a team and win it!

Girl power! It would be totally epic having Judy there on the 690 and myself on the 701 :ricky:
Or even a couples team. Myself with HSK, and Judy and Mark.
I really, really like the idea of this race. Can't wait for more details!
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:04 pm »

Girl power! It would be totally epic having Judy there on the 690 and myself on the 701 :ricky:
Or even a couples team. Myself with HSK, and Judy and Mark.
I really, really like the idea of this race. Can't wait for more details!

:)
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Koos van den Heever

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »
 :thumleft:
KTM 990 Adventure S
KTM 690 Enduro RR
KTM 450 RFR
KTM XCF-W 350