Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Down with Dibs  (Read 5275 times)

Offline peter stuyvesant

Re: Down with Dibs
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 10:04:59 pm »
Dibs means shit! Rather give the person 1st option with a time frame.

Offline fixit

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 11:49:29 pm »
Just for interest, There are resellers scouring the WD site, just like the twats on Gumtree. The last Item I sold, I advertised on WD and the buyer contacted me 10min after I placed the ad. I later found out he was not even a WD.

I have now learned, to rather ask for PM than to state your phone number  :thumleft:
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 05:34:40 am »
I though only WD's could see the for sale thread...
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 06:50:46 am »
I like the Dibs idea but it means follow through and buy or let the seller know you're passing it on. Being given a first refusal option on a bike by a WD member this past month has given me time to sort out my finances and hopefully I'll be paying and picking up the new toy in the next week or two. If I did not have that I would not have been able to scheme to get the funds together.

So in my opinion dibs is great, but don't be a dwoos as call dibs then hold the seller on the line.

I think that about sums it up

On a bike yes, but not on a R500 GPS bracket.

That doesnt work  :(

Anyway, If the seller wants to give an option or "Dibs"then its up to the seller
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline fixit

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 07:04:21 am »
I though only WD's could see the for sale thread...

Sorry. Was not clear on my post. He is a member,  but no bike or any affiliation to biking. He just joined for the buy and sell section. I.e. a box.
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 08:00:25 am »
I like the Dibs idea but it means follow through and buy or let the seller know you're passing it on. Being given a first refusal option on a bike by a WD member this past month has given me time to sort out my finances and hopefully I'll be paying and picking up the new toy in the next week or two. If I did not have that I would not have been able to scheme to get the funds together.

So in my opinion dibs is great, but don't be a dwoos as call dibs then hold the seller on the line.

Anyway, If the seller wants to give an option or "Dibs"then its up to the seller

Nog erger as mens soos jy n Bracket koop vir R500 hier op WD en hy is stukkend ja.

Offline Casting from Turd

• Read my avatar and act accordingly
  • Grey hound
  • #DTCBM
    • addobackpackers.com
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 08:31:23 am »

Nog erger as mens soos jy n Bracket koop vir R500 hier op WD en hy is stukkend ja.

Soos Smuggy se T-shirt
I dont want to ride fast, But I want to ride FAR
Past Bikes...Honda XR250 Tornado,Honda XR650L
Honda XL1000V Varadero
BMW 1200 GSA, 800GSA
http://www.addobackpackers.com

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 09:29:43 pm »
This is nothing different to any other sales situation where you can ask for an 'option' or 'first option' until x date.

It's totally up to the seller to accept or reject this.  Why should dibs on the forum be any different?

+1
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2016, 06:44:47 am »
Maybe we need another acronym.

I Want It. I Will Pay Soonest. PM Me Your Banking Details Soonest And I Will Pay You As Quick As Humanly Possible!

IWIIWPSPMMYBDSAIWPYAQAHP!

Would that work better than just saying dibs?
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2016, 07:46:50 am »

SOLD!!

Offline safetysteve

• Pack Dog
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:09 am »
What works best is the sound of an SMS on my phone as someone pays for it. Ref........I then post you the goods or you collect. Money talks. That's how I feel. Just like anywhere else . If you first to the shelf and pay at the till its yours
Current Lover: BMW GSA 1200 LC
Previous Lovers : BMW GS 1200 ADV, Kawasaki KLR 650, Kawasaki KLE 500, Bashan Explode 250, Honda XL185, Suzuki GSX 400, Honda MBX 50

Offline JacquesM

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 02:16:56 pm »

I Want It. I Will Pay Soonest. PM Me Your Banking Details Soonest And I Will Pay You As Quick As Humanly Possible!

Agreed!

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 03:59:56 pm »
I want a GPS. Can you guys please help me.

Zumo 350 or 390 or even the 395.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 05:14:01 pm »
I want a GPS. Can you guys please help me.

Zumo 350 or 390 or even the 395.

Thanks in advance.

Pay R3000 into my account so long so you dont have to dibs when I put it up for sale.

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 10:03:17 pm »
As the forum has grown things seem more complicated. A few years ago you could know most of the guys in your region personally,so it made things easier. I would not call dibs if I was not sure on the item.
I too have shipped goods before receiving payment,and guys have shipped to me before payment is made. I got no issues with dibs.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2016, 10:35:57 pm »
Volgende keer as jy by Hoerhuis instap, skreeu kliphard dibs op die blond met die tiete, en kyk hoe gaan dit af....

Offline Alan

• Race Dog
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 08:27:25 am »

That won't work either, because that dude's "soonest" could be a week. My soonest, if I'm happy with the item, is like half an hour, give or take.
You STILL need to say in the advert, "So and so has first option, if he doesn't make payment in the next hour or (agreed upon timeframe), then it's yours (to the second in line.) Otherwise, the seller will get two or more payments for the same item, and THEN there's kak involved.

Guys it's simple, it involves us grown adults corresponding and talking\posting to each other, and not leaving it for a week and people then wondering whats going on. It's sold to so and so, if he doesn't pay by timeframe, then second in line get's the option, and so on.

Offline XTZFegen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2016, 04:06:29 pm »
Got my 660z  through Dibs. I sent Sidetrack a PM explained I need to apply for private finance told him it would take a week or so and he was kind enough to agree and we had the deal wrapped up in a week. Couple of phone calls between him and myself and a bit of patience from the man but he got his full asking price with no discount requested from me because I know ew he was doing me a favor. 

So yes, Dibs has a place but I have also learnt to see a person's history on this website and then make a decision.  If the guy is a genuine Dog with ride reports and comments in the actual bike section so then Dibs counts. If it's a 2 or 3 post twat then fuck em...
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2016, 05:37:45 pm »
Got my 660z  through Dibs. I sent Sidetrack a PM explained I need to apply for private finance told him it would take a week or so and he was kind enough to agree and we had the deal wrapped up in a week. Couple of phone calls between him and myself and a bit of patience from the man but he got his full asking price with no discount requested from me because I know ew he was doing me a favor. 

So yes, Dibs has a place but I have also learnt to see a person's history on this website and then make a decision.  If the guy is a genuine Dog with ride reports and comments in the actual bike section so then Dibs counts. If it's a 2 or 3 post
twat then fuck em...

+100

It is a arrangement that works between dogs with integrity and is a feature of the forum. A left-over from when the forum was a lot smaller and made up of people you knew you could count on.

Those that want to sell expensive items like a bike on a "first through the door" should put their ads on Gomboom for the strangers out there.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:40:38 pm by Kykdaar »

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »
DIBS!!  :imaposer: