What tyres should I fit next?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louieb

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R850GS
Greetings all, and best wishes for 2017!

I purchased a 2015 Tiger 800XCX with around 5000km on the clock in mid Dec 2016. I now have around 6500km on the clock. The bike is awesome, but what tyres should I fit next?

I sold my car to get this bike, and use it daily as a commuter between Benoni (home) and JHB (work), doing around 70km per day. I like to do rides on the weekend that include sand roads (but not goat tracks, etc.)  ... in other words NOT serious off-road riding. I noticed last weekend whilst riding on a fairly good gravel road (plus a little mud in the dips after all the rain) that the back wheel slides from side to side a bit. Being a total Noob to dirt-road riding, is this just something that I must get used to, or should I look at upgrading to a more 50/50-type tyre?

The bike currently has Bridgestone Battle Wing tyres fitted (which the bike came out with), and they are still in good condition (they look like 95% tar road/ 5% dirt road tyres to me).

I see a lot of guys on the forum talk about the Mitas E07 tyres ... are these by best bet, or do I sommer stick with more road-bias tyres and just learn to ride better on sand roads?

All comments with be appreciated, thanks guys  :)