Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.  (Read 9551 times)

Offline ats30

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:09 pm »
Hello people

First of all I would like to apologize in advance for my poor English.  I hope that my thought is understandable, if not, do not hesitate to correct me.
Our trip (Me and my wife and 990ADV) is planned to start at May from SA to back home (North Europe).  At the moment i am busy to mod my motorbike for long trip. Newer been in Africa before (My understanding is that real Africa is south of Sahara), but have some travel experience like around Black Sea, Caucasus, Iran, Russia, Balcanians and Europe.
We have no time limit, so all what is worth to visit, we like to do. No serious offroad (although I really want to), but would like to ride as much as possible on gravel. Want to avoid big citys. Plan is to stay overnight at campsites and B&B-s. Maybe we meet some nice people and can stay overnight.

From here is some questions for start. Obviously  any answers occurs  more questions, but im not hesitate to ask :)
Lets start:
 Is it necessary to carry tent or i it`s only question of style of travel?
How to plan to change money on road? Is there ATM-s or only cash busines?
Good maps for Garmin, what is the best source?
About climate. As we start at May and, lets say, it takes 6 months, how is it? What about malaria?
Gasoline quality, is it really that poor as i read here and there?
In emergency tehnical problems (hope newer happens), where i can hope to find service for KTM? SA should be no problem, next is Nairobi?
Maybe there is nice local enduro people to meet on the way, for cold beer or hang ower, maybe some real offroad tour for day or two, contacts are welcome.

All advices for route and activities are welcome too.

As I do not want to only be a vampire, I can offer  night shelter, good advice and technical assistance for travelers who find themselves in Estonia. We have a large camping area, few rooms,  a warm  sauna and a it's all located in the immediate vicinity of the capital. The perfect place to stay if you are on the way for example to Nordkap or Russia.

So thank you in advance for all good advice.

E.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: A couple on 990ADV, Cape to Cairo.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:05:17 pm »
Welcome - you will find a great deal of info here, and a great number of friendly bikers.

In SA, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique - fuel is freely available (pay in cash or Credit card - BUT CHECK BEFORE YOU FILL UP, some places take cash only), plenty of ATM's (you can draw local currency against your credit cards, roads are all good tar or good gravel - depending on your itinerary/route.

May is the start of winter in the South - interior temps can drop below zero at night, days will be fine - rain on the coast & dry inland.

You can camp in every town or village, but you will get accommodation by asking around, looking for signs - South Africans tour a lot, so there is a lot of places to stay, camping & otherwise.

Fuel quality is fine - no problems in main centers - filling from bottles/drums in far-flung area's can be questionable, make sure you fill up whenever you can, there are big distances to cover, particularly in Namibia & Botswana - up to 300/400km between fuel stops depending on your routes.

Garmin has SA Topo Maps - purchase in SA.

Malaria is not a problem in Southern SA generally, with the exception of the far Eastern parts of SA (Kruger National Park) and Mozambique - farther north you will certainly get malaria areas.

And if you are planning to stop in Johannesburg, I have a room to offer.

Cheer, good luck and keep this thread up to date, let us know how you are doing with your planning!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:43 pm »
Don't worry about your English, it is as good as many here, (USA).
I will answer your questions below from my perspective as a past traveler in Southern and Eastern Africa.

"From here is some questions for start. Obviously  any answers occurs  more questions, but im not hesitate to ask :)
Lets start:
 Is it necessary to carry tent or i it`s only question of style of travel? I did use a tent about half the time in South Africa, Namibia and a few places north. For me I alway carry a tent as back up. North you will find accommodation are very cheap and less camping options.
How to plan to change money on road? Is there ATM-s or only cash busines? ATMs everywhere, bury some emergency cash in a couple of spots and do the rest on cards
Good maps for Garmin, what is the best source? Check out "tracks 4 Africa" worked well for me
About climate. As we start at May and, lets say, it takes 6 months, how is it? What about malaria? will let the locals answer this one, but be prepared for HOT
Gasoline quality, is it really that poor as i read here and there? No problems on gas, the only bad gas I have gotten in the last ten years has been in the USA, (72 countries and counting)
In emergency tehnical problems (hope newer happens), where i can hope to find service for KTM? SA should be no problem, next is Nairobi? South Africa you find service, North will be harder. in Nairobi Jungle Junction will take care of you
Maybe there is nice local enduro people to meet on the way, for cold beer or hang ower, maybe some real offroad tour for day or two, contacts are welcome. The Wild Dogs in South Africa will take care of you well, just ask what you need

Have a great trip, Africa is on the top of my list once I make it around the world the first time.

RJT
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline ats30

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:21:32 pm »
Thank you for friendly words!
 I quit my job 16 of December, so for now i have been exactly one month in garage. The result is not beautiful, I hope is getting better  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:37:05 pm by ats30 »

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:45:02 pm »
Welcome - you really going to enjoy this trip. Look at some of the road trip reports for info . Michnus and Schalk van der Merwe reports can be of value .  Suggest that you place a map of your planned route here and the  Wild dogs will comment and provide help . When are you shipping the bikes ? To what port ?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=197379.msg3645520#msg3645520
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:46:42 pm by 1ougat »
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Can you say: Today is a good day to die?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 05:47:54 pm »

Hi, and welcome,
I think you will pretty soon see how friendly and helpfull this lot is on wilddogs. You might get different answers to your questions but consider all.

My take:
Is it necessary to carry tent or i it`s only question of style of travel?
Yes, carry a tent for backup. Chances are that you will always find other accommodation but if you don't you don't want to sleep in the open. South Africa and neighbouring countries should not be a problem but going through the rest of Africa you will need it.
How to plan to change money on road? Is there ATM-s or only cash busines?
Plenty ATM's available but keep backup money in a safe place.
Good maps for Garmin, what is the best source?
Garmin Southern Africa plus Tracks 4 Africa and you will be fine.
About climate. As we start at May and, lets say, it takes 6 months, how is it? What about malaria?
May/June is the start of our winter season and it will be cold down south but better as you travel north.
Gasoline quality, is it really that poor as i read here and there?
Quality is no problem again in SA and neighbouring countries but further north in the rural areas it can be a problem so keep some sort of filtering cloth with you. Make sure you have a spare t-bag filer for that 990!
In emergency tehnical problems (hope newer happens), where i can hope to find service for KTM? SA should be no problem, next is Nairobi?
I am not sure, maybe better to speak to SA KTM when you here.
Maybe there is nice local enduro people to meet on the way, for cold beer or hang ower, maybe some real offroad tour for day or two, contacts are welcome
You will be welcome al over South Africa with the wilddogs, guaranteed and most of them will take you for a ride in the area when you visit. Try and keep this thread up to date with where you will be in the next few days and you will get some invitations. When you close to Coligny in North West Province, pm me and come and stay for few days on the farm.
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:38 pm »
Please show more of your bike with the exstra fuel on the left and one exhaust.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Road Hog

• Member No. 6196
  • Walvis Bay
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:02:16 pm »
Please show more of your bike with the exstra fuel on the left and one exhaust.

Hi Jack On "Chris daai donkie van jou het ver genoeg petrol..................... Hi Jack Off  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
2009 KTM 990 Adventure
2011 Honda XR650L

If you think you can, you're right.
If you think you can't, you're right.

Offline ats30

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 11:59:32 pm »
This is a big adventure for me, so i take it seriously. As 990 ADV original tanks are stupidly small for adventure bike,  I made some mods: ADV tank to left side. To install it, have to remove left can. During the research i found Rade tank and deside to install it to (under the saddle). But again, its not that simple. ABS must be removed. To make a place for ABS, Airbox and SAS must go. Feels like endless...
After that, bike  also needs regular service like water pump rebuild, oil change, new bearings, new battery, valve check and so on.
Here i am now. But there is more to do- stronger  springs, new fairing, engine guard, high fender, extra lights, new alu panniers, stronger front rim, side stand, a voltmeter ...
Like i said, it`s endless. But until it gives a pleasure to spend time in garage, why not :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:02:58 am by ats30 »

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 07:16:28 am »
You really dont have to do the whole trip on one tank  :biggrin: we do have petrol stations  :biggrin:
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic

Offline ats30

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 06:39:49 pm »
You really dont have to do the whole trip on one tank  :biggrin: we do have petrol stations  :biggrin:

This is good news, then i can leave the jerry can at home  :imaposer:
It makes 500km interval instead of 300 km, now it`s ok.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:08 pm »
I does a 990 sound with one can?!!!! :eek7: :o ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline ats30

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 01:35:02 am »
SA visa regulations are wonderful. I have to show all nights hotel bookings and return flight tickets. It does not matter that the plan is to move to Europe overland, and is not realistic  to book for all nights advance.
Looking for some reasonable solition for thisn problem.

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 10:24:32 am »
Assume you'll be passing through Tanzania some time, so drop me a line with your plans and I'll try help.
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:20 am »

There is a very good KTM dealer here in Lusaka, Zambia. You can get everything done there, tyres, chain/sprocket, full service etc etc. There is also a cool overland campground with chalets very close to the KTM dealer. Giraffe, Zebra, Kudu and a bunch of other antelope roam freely through the camp site.

:thumleft:

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 12:40:08 pm »
Some good advice above.  My additions -

1) Tent - In my opinion it is not really necessary but will open up stays in places you would otherwise move through.  There are plenty of accommodation options available if you are not looking for high end all through your trip and know when to stop each day.  Where it will come in very handy is when you are stuck with a puncture or whatever late at night.  While not 100% necessary I would and did take one, the smallest possible.  But with two people on one bike it also adds 2 mattresses, 2 sleeping bags etc so you will have to weigh up the pros and cons.  In the worst case you will end up spending a few miserable wet nights at the side of the road, not the end of the world.
2) Money - you will need some cash dollars at some border crossings for visas, road tax, insurance etc.  No ATMs in the Sudan so you will have to have cash dollars that you can exchange for Sudanese pounds.  We managed to get extra dollars by withdrawing money in Addis Ababa from the ATM and then exchange it on the black market (not a significant penalty).
3) Malaria - Take prophylaxis.
4) Gasoline - just be aware in Egypt as they have different grades.  The lowest grade is 80 octane and in some places this was the only grade available.  Don't know if the 990 has a problem with it.

Have fun with the planning and getting ready for the trip.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • The Commodore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 01:41:22 pm »
SA visa regulations are wonderful. I have to show all nights hotel bookings and return flight tickets. It does not matter that the plan is to move to Europe overland, and is not realistic  to book for all nights advance.
Looking for some reasonable solition for thisn problem.

Well then it is called resiprosity - you do to me I do to you  :biggrin:

Same when I went on a bike trip to Germany , Italy,  France in 2015 - they wanted to know everything - even when you did not know it yourself  :lol8:
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 01:54:17 pm »
Hello people
All advices for route and activities are welcome too.

E.
I would seriously consider taking a TOW ROPE with (disclaimer: we sell these...), for the following reasons:

.... indespensible if you have to tow another bike,
.....if he/she needs to tow you, this may be due to no fuel,
........fuel pump problem (not unknown ),
electrical problem,
.....bike recovery up a slope, etc.

Cheers!
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 01:58:00 pm »
Looking for some reasonable solition for this problem.

Hotel bookings are easy - go to booking.com (or similar) and just book whatever you need but make sure to select a hotel where you can cancel and not be charged any fees.  Alternatively, maybe someone on this site has a hotel or camping or so and can issue you a "booking confirmation" knowing full well you will cancel once you have the visa.

For the airline you could try KLM.  They have an option where for 10 or 20 Euros they hold a flight for you to make a final decision.  Print that out as your itinerary and maybe that will fly.  Alternatively find one of these general travel booking sites that allows you to cancel without incurring fees.  I had to do the same when flying from Colombia to Panama last year, they would not even let me board with being able to show a return ticket.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline capeklr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 09:05:27 am »
Hi,
welcome and I hope that you have a awesome trip.
Here is a link www.pearlson2wheels.blogspot.com
This couple just did this trip the other way around, London up to North Cape and then down to Cape Town.
So you might pick up an idea or two.
Regards Jörg.