Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 22375 times)

hannesjp74 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline armpump

Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2017, 07:44:42 am »
Such a pity you had kak.

But hey there is always next time right :)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2017, 08:17:55 am »
Such a pity you had kak.

Jap, I hope the suspension upgrade will sort out the bottoming issue and maybe help with rim preservation as well. But in general I understand now why the statement has been made that the 1190 can not be made into an expedition bike like the 990 could, or not without spending a considerable amount of money.
But once sorted I do not think anything comes close.

On the suspension, I am struggling to package the stuff to send it off to superfoxi! its heavy and the forks are long! I do not have a box that can fit them, so will be using bubble wrap but doubt if I have enough of that either. a mission
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline bud500

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2017, 08:41:00 am »

On the suspension, I am struggling to package the stuff to send it off to superfoxi! its heavy and the forks are long! I do not have a box that can fit them, so will be using bubble wrap but doubt if I have enough of that either. a mission

What about sliding them into some PVC piping or maybe even Kreepy Krauly pipe.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline armpump

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2017, 08:48:05 am »
Rims are cheese for high speed hard terrain.

But the joys of tubeliss system also has it's perks.

Forks and shock have there limits (must remember it's 235kg before any extra's and rider)

Offline armpump

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2017, 09:14:19 am »
Such a pity you had kak.

Jap, I hope the suspension upgrade will sort out the bottoming issue and maybe help with rim preservation as well. But in general I understand now why the statement has been made that the 1190 can not be made into an expedition bike like the 990 could, or not without spending a considerable amount of money.
But once sorted I do not think anything comes close.

Dump the oil and use a rifle case :)

Offline AJBotha

« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2017, 09:02:16 pm »
 Were you happier with the suspension on your GS or did you upgrade them too? Thought the 1190 suspension is better than GS suspension?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2017, 07:34:25 am »
Were you happier with the suspension on your GS or did you upgrade them too? Thought the 1190 suspension is better than GS suspension?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

I have actually not given this a thought.....
I had a 2008 GS and a 2011 GSA, both with ESA, not upgraded. I would rate the 1190 suspension better than the GS but not really when compared to the GSA suspension. The same travel but they don't bottom so easily and also I have never thought they required upgrading, on whoops/high speed bumps the 1190 rear already warned me they are not managing to well. But let me not take away from the 1190, I am a noob. ESA has spoiled me, and the characters of these bikes are hugely different. While the GS/A felt solid like a cruising battleship/hippo the 1190 is much more agile and lively.

Then also, my GS I did a lot of heavily loaded and pillion offroading, and until getting the GSA never felt that the suspension required upgrading either. Both these BMWs took not only harder knocks but I would guess 5 times (if not more) more abuse than my 1190 and they were fine. Granted, stanchion on GSA also started leaking oil, some creativity sorted that. (But I am yet to see a bike as hard worked as that bike was.)

Superfoxi will be picking up the 1190 shocks today! His review of them will be interesting as I think the seals on all 3 went on one trip. the rear was also wet with oil when I packaged them.
Packaging I did at Postnet, basically a lot of bubble wrap and a lot of fragile stickers.

I also got my first quote on fixing the undertray and some extra goodies. Tinus mentioned that the undertray is R1400. THey quoted me R660 and is adamant its called the tail en lower piece. SO I have queried it with some photos for confirmation its the right item. Also need to replace the the bend top shock bolt. I hear some upgrade them but I am hoping the suspension upgrade will sort that out.

Other than that I still need to fix one plug on the ECU, and need to upgrade the stearing damper while it is stripped as well. But I am really struggling to put time in. Need to do a lot of cleaning also.

Groot trip beplan vir Augustus, sal my gat moet begin roer, wil nog dag trippies ook voor dan in werk.

Offline AJBotha

« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2017, 07:54:30 am »
Thanks, dit is baie insiggewend! Het die agterkant gebottom en toe die "undertray" gesmash? Ek het al gehoor dit is 'n probleem wat hulle glo op die 2016 modelle uitsorteer het.
Is dit wat die een ECU plug beskadig het of was dit iets heeltemal anders? Kon jy die trip klaarmaak of moes jy trailer huis toe?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2017, 08:17:30 am »
Thanks, dit is baie insiggewend! Het die agterkant gebottom en toe die "undertray" gesmash? Ek het al gehoor dit is 'n probleem wat hulle glo op die 2016 modelle uitsorteer het.
Is dit wat die een ECU plug beskadig het of was dit iets heeltemal anders? Kon jy die trip klaarmaak of moes jy trailer huis toe?

Dit nie uitgesort nie, die 1190 het geen deur-slaan protection soos die 990 of 1290R nie. (1290R se PDS, Progressive damping system)
in 2015 het die 1190R net n effens swaarder of stuiwer spring gekry, maar die PDS ding is n groot change. Die valving is ook nie van so aart om PDS te bied nie, soos ek verstaan op 990 is nie.

Yes, agter wiel skraap die undertray as jy deur slaan, maar ek het toe nou nice tyres gekry vir n bargain wat een profile hoeer is. nou is dit nie meer bargain nie is dit haha.
Maar as ek weer Tinus se naam kan gebruik, syne het ook deurgeslaan en als erger uitgeruk, met OEM spec tyres. sy ECU het in die veld gele, hy het hom amper daar gelos.
Myne het net die plugs uitgeruk, ek kon hulle terug druk en terug ry. Behalwe een plug wat al die drade af is, al die agterste ligte en so werk op daai plug so ek was gelukig dat hy gegroet het eerder en nie een van die ander plugs nie.

Offline AJBotha

« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2017, 08:23:06 am »
Eish, not nice to hear!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2017, 08:42:18 am »
Eish, not nice to hear!
nope, as jy wil n fiets van die vloer af trek en ver grondpad ry met baie knocks en valle en Angola haal. Kry n GSA of XT660Z
maar as jy bereid is om aandag te gee, geld in te sit en paar goed uit te sort en dan met n baie nice bike te sit wat die ander nie sal kan match nie al kry hulle dieselfde aandag, voel ek daar is nie eers iets naby die 1190 nie...
(ek bargain wel nou baie op daai suspension upgrade, en besef dit n weird opinie)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2017, 11:55:19 am »
This weekend I spend some time on the bike again but didnt feel very positive. I was looking how am I supposed to remove the undertray and realised I should just have dropped the bike of at KTM.

It seems like I have to take out everything! The battery and the other ECU to take out the undertray. I am guessing its not tricky just a lot of stripping. Anyone else done this and can please give some tips?

I paused with stripping for now, but spend some time cleaning and came to the realization my undertray must have broken a lot earlier in the trip, that last knock I took was just the final nail in the coffin. There is just to much mud inside the bike. Its a flippen mess!

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2017, 01:10:28 pm »
Jap Strip eers wanneer aldie parte hier is anders gaan jy sukkel.
lyk erger as wat dit is, jy sal sien.

wanneer parte hier is dan gaan die job loop!!
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »
Jap Strip eers wanneer aldie parte hier is anders gaan jy sukkel.
lyk erger as wat dit is, jy sal sien.

wanneer parte hier is dan gaan die job loop!!
jy moet my parte bring!  skuif jou kursus vroeer!

Offline armpump

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2017, 09:02:31 pm »
Good time to clean properly and check all wiring/connections

Take lots of pictures and store screws etc in zip lock bags per section as you go along

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:26 pm »
Hoe unsubscribe ek van die thread?

Wil elke keer in my broek kak.........
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline armpump

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2017, 05:22:30 am »

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2017, 06:50:08 pm »

:lol8: :lol8:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2017, 08:24:22 pm »

Die lig sal weer skyn!
Suspensie is weer in die pos oppad terug en nuwe undertray is betaal ook, oor so 2 weke loop hy hopelik weer! Ek begin nou al ernstige PMS kry.
Intussen beplan ek my groot trip vir die haar. Aug moet die bike sy man kan staan teen 990's in lesotho! Great times

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2017, 08:29:29 pm »

Die lig sal weer skyn!
Suspensie is weer in die pos oppad terug en nuwe undertray is betaal ook, oor so 2 weke loop hy hopelik weer! Ek begin nou al ernstige PMS kry.
Intussen beplan ek my groot trip vir die haar. Aug moet die bike sy man kan staan teen 990's in lesotho! Great times

Ek begin nou al bewe. Asb moenie n ride report op forum kom doen nie........
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM