Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 22770 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:29:21 am »
with all my other bikes I am sad that I never told their story, so let me not be lazy this time and tell her story as it unfolds!

So, I have always been pretty anti-KTM. Reason being that I thought they were unreliable and just not meant for what I do with them. Then I rode a 950 on an MX track and I got it. the light went on, they are just so much better than my GSA.
But then, a 950 vs GSA on MX track...its supposed to be, but lets not allow facts to scew a nice story.

But I like gadgets, so was always looking at the 1190. ANd after seeing that the 1190 issues thread on the forum is fairly short, I realised it cant be as bad as I thought. after reading it and srealizing its full of bantering, I felt better.

SO I got my thoughts straight in this thread...
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=202701.0
and also finding a bike there. I now have my own temperamental lady. or spirited flerrie. Verdict is still out...

So arrangements were made, payments made and delivery done. except that I was not home and it had to be delivered at a friends house. Thanks again Philip!
And up to now, I still have to buy browny points from my wife to spend some time on my bike! I have still ridden less than Philip on my own bike, 4 days later  :'(

Anyhow, some pics taken by manic the previous owner. and then my own.
I had to reshuffle my garage a bit to have the three bikes fit...

Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:49:37 am »
So now I have an R with road tyres, and a GSA ready for pretty tough offroad. I need to get to know my KTM better, plus I have the tyres and also I have been wanting to do it....next weekend I intend to do an ironbutt ride! it will be tar, 2500km in 36hrs.

I think the bike is pretty much fine for it. Maybe could have done with a heat shield as it does have the infamous heat emition from rear cylinder. but for the most part its ready.

I bought the house with money I took out of my house bond, in other words I am losing more than a thousand a month in interest while I am keeping the GSA so I need to start getting it ready to be sold. My brother will be joining me on the ironbutt ride on the GSA though so after that I need to transfer what I can and sell what I can...

I want to see if I can have the topbox fit on the 1190, I am not to fond of the khaki colour bag, wish it was black.
I have a steering damper on the GSA, I have not checked but I understand the 1190 has a factory fitted cheapie. Removing that and fitting my scott will increase the turning angle possible on the 1190. This I really want to do as I have seen how KTMs suffer on off road courses where your turning circle is tested to the limits. Also a big reason where I always thougth the GS is better with very technical riding for people with normal skill sets.
GPS lockable bracket also needs to be transferred and maybe hardwired.
Fit tooltube to 1190 somewhere so that I can carry air cannister to inflate tyres.

Now, on the 1190. I think its a looker and I would like to keep it that way. Be my pride and joy while being used. So I will be giving a lot of consideration as to the look of extras when I buy.
The 1190 needs pannier racks. I fall a lot and those are some expensive exhausts! Problem is I dont know what to get that will look nicest.
Heat shield off course, also would like it to look OEM.
the big foot must be from India, it needs to be made bigger or replaced, we have real sand here.
still deciding on the upper crash bars, if I get I will probably get the SWMotech ones, they look the nicest to me, or rather the orange looks like KTM orange.
Knobbleys. Already have my eye on a set of Anlas, just waiting for pay day. But I am concidering an MX front tyre, still deciding.
Heated grips, I see there is oxford and another set from bikegear. dont know which is best or most unobtrusive. R1150 vs R850.
Tank bag with quick release. I love the practicality possible from a quick release tankbag. I will probably get this one http://bikegear.co.za/product/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-gs-tankbag/ just need to be sure it will fit with the contour of my tank.

Thats it for now, please feel free to give advice or inputs.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:17:07 am »
I've got that quick lock tank bag  :thumleft:
Works very well on the 1290 tank and is massive

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:30:57 am »

You cant post a pic please?
I had something similar on a previous GS. Loved it. Can take water bottles (I dont like camelback) and food on long trips. Very practical

Offline Scalpel

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:58:59 am »
I love the look with the twin exhausts. However I don't think standard pannier frames will fit with this modification? The exhausts just look further away from the bike than what the standard exhaust does.
BMW R80G/S PD is the original DS bike!!

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 10:27:00 am »
Love the twin pipes!

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:10:58 am »

You cant post a pic please?
I had something similar on a previous GS. Loved it. Can take water bottles (I dont like camelback) and food on long trips. Very practical

here are some pics I've previously taken - in all pics the bag is not extended - when extended, the top raises about 10cm

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:39:14 am »
Steek jy jou skoonma daar binne in weg  :imaposer:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:52:36 am »
Steek jy jou skoonma daar binne in weg  :imaposer:

:biggrin: ons nie sulke kortgatte nie  ;) ;D

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 12:26:44 pm »
This is my reference on that tank bag. I had one (I think it is the same, just older) on my previous GS. But I just had a fright seeing it on the 1290 where it looks massive. On the GS it did not seem as oversized.
I will have to think it over a bit. But will probably still buy it, I dont like the smaller ones, it does not fit the contour of the bike at all.

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:44:25 pm »
you have to remember that my tank bag will look even bigger on the 1190, seeing that the 1190 tank is quite a bit smaller - the 1290 tank area is quite bulky

Offline Moondog

• AKA : Tony
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 12:45:14 am »
I use a much smaller version of the same make and mounting. Love it!
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 07:22:52 am »
please post a pic if you can?
I think the one Bundu's bike is bigger than what I had, and that was already on the limit.

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 07:19:56 pm »
Lekker man, dis 'n awesome bike. Daai acceleration is addictive, seker hoekom 'n ou nie baie uit die agter tyre uitkry nie maar 'n prys wat ek bereid is om te betaal.

Geniet haar en dink dit was Manic wat hier op een van die threads vir my gese het ook farkles "#ry die fkn ding".

Tinus
KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 06:59:35 am »
Lekker man, dis 'n awesome bike. Daai acceleration is addictive, seker hoekom 'n ou nie baie uit die agter tyre uitkry nie maar 'n prys wat ek bereid is om te betaal.

Geniet haar en dink dit was Manic wat hier op een van die threads vir my gese het ook farkles "#ry die fkn ding".

Tinus

Gister uiteindelik bietjie meer rond gery, sien uit na die naweek.

Man maar hy ry lekker!!!

Farkles....jaaa uhm, hy gaan moet die offroad ding doen. Dit terwyl ek meer wil as vernuf het, so val sal daar geval word.
Pannier racks amper oppad, dan knobblies!

Offline TinusBez

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 07:07:01 am »
Jy sal  verbaas wees hoe nimble daai fiets is. Het single track gery  met versteekte rotse. Ek was en is nog steeds baie impressed maar ek stem n ou wil na jou goed kyk en als doen wat sal help in die feval van n val. Geniet die bike. Ek gaan naweek v 3de Feb Oppiplaas skills naweek toe en kan nie wag nie

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

KTM: 500 EXC-F current
KTM: 1190 Adv R Sold
Sweat dries, blood clots and bones heal, Suck it up princess

Offline Moondog

• AKA : Tony
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:44 am »
please post a pic if you can?
I think the one Bundu's bike is bigger than what I had, and that was already on the limit.

Sure ....
The mounting uses quite a lot of space inside but i only realy use it for keys, remote, cell, etc. So plenty of space. It is also expandable.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:50:51 am by Moondog »
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:16 am »
So this weekend we did a nice trip. I had a friend visit wich rode the GSA and we had a great time. Both of us was super impressed with the 1190.

Review after the weekend, mostly normal gravel roads, some 2spoor and a little sand.
1190 felt a lot more unstable than the tank of a GSA, but the difference is its okay, on the GSA where you would have to change pants the same situation on the 1190 is fun. So I am very happy.

I also worked with his handlebar bag and have decided to rather opt for that than a tank bag, that is if I dont move the stearing damper. It seems that if I increase the range of motion of the handlebars the handguards will connect with the windscreen.
I was also very happy with the wind protection, not to bad at all!.

Here is the route we rode. Half of it new to me. Great fun.
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=132045882842456183

The following users thanked this post: Epilot

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:43 am »
Coming weekend we will be doing the iron butt. That is if my stepfather can sort a crack in the rim of his Super Tenere, he found it over the weekend. I did notice two slight smileys on the 1190, but nothing to worry about (I think)

Bike prep needs to continue, starting with a wash.
So KTM drama has started, I will document my fixes and issues here. Hopefully sorting the stuff out permanently as it goes.

I lost an indicator bulp. How the hell that happens I dont know! Is there better aftermarket options? Anyone know what a KTM replacement will cost roughly?

Also I kept hearing this clap sound at the front, thought its the big windscreen but then found this cover broken where the hooter attaches to. I did a quick fix but think it will probably be permanent.

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 01:16:29 pm »
Ek sal maar n ogie op jou hou van hierdie kant af  :thumleft:

Oor daai flikkers, is dit 'n standaard tipe mounting of so weird gatkant om bracket soos op my Honda? As dit normale tipe is kan jy mos by plek soos Tracmac of Banggood kyk vir 'n vervanging
Born to be Mild