Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 25605 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #260 on: October 09, 2017, 03:57:36 pm »
I ride with Philip a lot, he owns a 2004 (I think) 950 and not even the S. He has had a lot less issues than I have, so I do not look down on older stuff. The thing is they feel old. I have the GS background and not an Enduro bike background. I did not grow up on scramblers. I do not feel at home on an overgrown scrambler, but I have no illusions about them being a lot more capable than the big 1190.

So, on the oil tanker. Well I kitted mine out a lot as well, and the second one I bought kitted out. Both had a hard life and was showing it. But honestly I cant say. On my GS the only things that broke was the things I fitted. Adv screen kept coming loose on the GS, aftermarket topbox rack bend over once from being overloaded on a round-Lesotho pillion trip, stuff like that.
On the 1190 I had to quit 700km into my iron butt ride attempt on gravel. On the GS I crashed hard a 1000km into the iron butt ride and still finished the last 600km. (went of the road and hit deep sand bank, bike somersaulted, windscreen and stuffs broken but it could go on). The 1190 required a suspension upgrade to do the same. I have burned the clutch on Old mill drift route on the GS that its stuck in first, in a cloud of clutch smoke. got of the bike and helped the others, got on again and it was fine again, I am not to sure the 1190 can take abuse like that, neither can the LC. Then the 1190 has the air filter issue as well while you can go buy a random GS Adv now and ride gravel highways with the occasional hard hits all the way to Etosha, no mods needed.

That being said, the final drive is a time bomb. Mine went at 55000km. (I rode my first GS from 17k to 78k km in 2 years) and that aluminium head unit bracket also likes to break.
SO, in conclusion there is no conclusion. But if I cant do a trip soon without having to fix or tweak something before going then there will be a conclusion....
Oh, and the popularity of the GS is a huge gain in terms of secondhand parts availability!

I am rather happy on my 1190, kitted in full BMW twat suit :)
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Fcuk’em
« Reply #261 on: October 09, 2017, 04:58:03 pm »
Interesting and valid points!

Also get the impression that the GS1200 (definitely not the 800 delivery bike) is quite tough all-round. Not talking about the inherent final drive durability/longevity though. I actually quite like the GS - Digg the look and allround quality of the bike, just handles like a tourbus though, but pretty good for something that size to be fair.

Why don’t you fix the bike up, get it clean and gooi on gumtree - Get the most you possibly can and buy a 701 or 690? I mean to have a massive bike for the odd occasion where you do 800km hauls in one day doesn’t make sense?

I’m in a similar boat and wanting to do some more multi day Bots/Mozam/Zim trips and no flipping way I’m going to risk my trips and bikes in africa - So decided on getting a 500 with long range tank for a light DS setup. I prefer super tech trips anyway so just suits me at the moment. I also enjoy taking the big bikes into monster trails and routes, but the probability and cost of coming down/damage is so high that it almost makes it less fun.

I recall us discussing the whole trailering your bike somewhere and ridig hard and staying in a B&B - And this is the same. I want to be able to ride anywhere and as hard as my skill will allow WITHOUT having to worry about damaging the bike with crazy cost repercussions.

I get that you need to sweat the bike, but consider cutting some minor losses in the interest of future costs saved! Not to mention how much more you’ll enjoy a smaller bike dude.

Perhaps because you don’t have an enduro background you are underestimating how much better a decision a smaller bike would be and what a difference it can make to your riding and enjoyment? I almost get the sense that you would have been in a far better situation now if you had just gotten a smaller bike after your first GS... Both ito enjoyment and costs.

Miskien raak ek net te diep so laat in die middag :lol8:
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #262 on: October 09, 2017, 07:10:47 pm »
Ja hopeloos te diep! Haha

I like the scenario/needs/requirements discussions. My bike is not that beaten up currently, I just removed the upper crashbars so its fixed again accepth for the loose head unit the untrained eye wouldnt see. And while I just did a route that was partly more suited to a 500, the tough pieces was still fun. But the easier pieces was also fun. I also enjoy a nice tar pass as well. Combine that with staying in the Kalahari most of my riding options require a few 100km commute to do and I would like to enjoy that as well.

While I would love a 701 the time is not right. I would love to do Kaokoland and the like someday, but unfortunately it will still be a while before that happens. I have 2 little children and a wife with a proper carreer as well. She requires a break just as much as I do sometimes so my getaways is a logistical nightmare every time.

To take it further I did once buy a 660xt to learn sand riding on. But the shocks had to be serviced right when I was going on a sand focused course so I was forced to go with the GS. And there I saw thick sand is possible on the fat pig. I sold the XT when I got home, just about unridden.

I am busy fixing up a third GS to sell it. Then I will get a 300 2stroke. I want to learn to wheelie!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2017, 07:18:28 pm »
I did not mention yet!
Friday I fitted barkbusters and the foldable mirrors! Now I am just about done, there is not much the bike still needs to do proper adventure trips, anywhere.

Oh accept to still fit the petrol pre filter. I have been lazy

Online Renrew

• Fcuk’em
« Reply #264 on: October 09, 2017, 09:18:16 pm »
Bike looks cool :thumleft: except for that handlebar bag ;)

Didn’t take you long to fix that crashbar :lol8:
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2017, 07:54:15 am »
I used a tankbag in the past and loved it, but this time round I thought I would save a few bucks and also thought it more practical to get the handlebar bag. The tankbags just do not look right for me on the 1190 but that's personal taste. so far I am happy with my handlebar bag.

I thought I would attach pics of my previous 2 GS's I mentioned.
The blue GS was the start of my adventure riding, its taken huge shots as well. a 2008 I bought in iirc 2012 with 17500km on. Sold 2 years later with 75k km on.
The yellow GSA was a friends bike, I got it for a very good price with the intend to just sell it at a profit but ended up keeping it and selling the blue GS after some sleepless nights. My blue GS was family and in much better shape, but the the yellow one was a 2011 so had some little upgrades plus a huge upgrade wrt suspension. This was my first realisation what difference a proper suspension makes. I bought it with 70k km on and sold at 78k km.

For a few months I had the yellow GSA and 1190 both and would ride them back to back frequently. I fitted the scott damper I had on the blue GS to the GSA so it was very planted. I remember hitting bad gravel at speed and the GSA just sitting rock solid while the 1190 was very lively, handlebars twisting and such, with me thinking this is actually nice. If the GSA was so loose I would have had to change pants, but with the 1190 you still felt in control and actually enjoyed it.
I did sell the yellow GSA at profit, even after a R10k repair bill to fix amongst others a crankshaft oil leak. It really did have a hard life that poor bike.
I remember once loading it on the trailer and almost loaded it fell away from me, a flippen hard fall. Just broke a footpeg we welded back on and it was fine.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2017, 08:37:07 am »
So, I have sent a mail to the owner of Orange County explaining the service I received, requesting at least a sorry from them. No answer.
I was willing to let it go but lost another bracket, so I was fuming and forwarded said email to the salesman who replied that he will make sure the boss gets it. No reply a week later now.

So question, is it worth it? I let a lot of stuff just go as I believe you just work yourself up for no gain. Would you guys take this further or stick to good relations with the dealership more favourably located to me?

Taking it further is easy in this case, I already paid for the front rim which was on back order, Labour and all I can  request them to pay me back the roughly R6k. I will have to post my wheel there anyhow so can just as well post it to any other dealership. I think continuing to make a big deal out of this will only upset me most with them barely noticing.

Offline armpump

« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2017, 09:48:53 am »
Do NOT leave it.

Online Renrew

• Fcuk’em
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2017, 10:56:03 am »
You cannot leave it, he solution is simple.

Tell them that you will have no choice to report this to KTM SA if you don’t receive a response with some form of compensation for the poor service.

But first, call them and get him on the line and ask that he responds to your complaint.
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2017, 11:12:50 am »
You cannot leave it, he solution is simple.

Tell them that you will have no choice to report this to KTM SA if you don’t receive a response with some form of compensation for the poor service.

But first, call them and get him on the line and ask that he responds to your complaint.

Best is probably to phone and ask for a response to your email. Then forward the previous email to him and add something like "as discussed, bla bla bla". If he then still does buggerall you have on record that you tried to contact him and can then forward the same email to KTM SA.

Personally I think this might just lead to some form of confrontation and I don't like confrontation, but in your case you have in a way lost money through their crappy service (repair/replacement of crashbars).

Born to be Mild

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2017, 11:59:41 am »
if the issue is only about the two crashbar brackets not fitted tightly enough, I personally would probably drop it

Offline armpump

« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:56 pm »
Here the problem i have with bracket issue.

You now need to order a non stock item and wait for it to arrive

So you remove top bar so it does not rattle around and murphy raises his ugly head.

Suddenly you now sit with a damaged tank etc etc which could of been avoided if they had just taken care.

Ps read the fine print on workshop job card 

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2017, 07:11:44 pm »
Re KTM service: Just when I had to make a call and request my money back, I got a call this afternoon from David the owner. He was apologetic and said he will give me a complementary service if I would be willing to give them another chance. A fair response. I just wanted an apology so now I am content again and rate it settled.
(I will get worked up again later when I look at the crashbars in the corner of the garage...not on the bike...)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2017, 07:13:35 pm »
Next issue to sort, the loose head unit.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=215851.0
(link to separate discussion on wilddogs, with possible solution. For reference purposes)

Online Renrew

• Fcuk’em
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2017, 07:23:08 pm »
MOLTEn, the first thing you need to do is take that GPS off where it is. That mounting point exerts massive torque on the head unit, that weakens trhe entire assembly over time AND you can’t see shit when riding because of the movement.

Get a handlebar clamp mount from bikegear - The one that actually screws into the handlebar brackets/stem.

I tried and tried and it’s just a crap design, so moved my gps to the clamps.
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:15 pm »
Thanks Renrew, I agree, will look into it.
I have gone though all the stuff Bikegear offers before but never noticed these. Now I will have to decide whether I want to keep my handlebar bag or not. I am not to keen on getting a tankbag again.
nice solution though. I take it it is this one..
https://bikegear.co.za/product/sw-motech-detachable-cockpit-gps-mount-ktm-690950990bmw-650xchallange/

Online Renrew

• Fcuk’em
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2017, 09:06:27 pm »
Yup, that’s the one option, there exist a couple others also a believe.

Also consider putting directly on your handlebars, to the left. That way you might have space for the fannypackhandlebar bag ;) and the gps. It’s also DEAL solid there and you can interact with your gps easily on the left.

But yeah, when you fix the plastic assembly, move the gps.

Tankbag - Get a giantloop Diablo Pro, AWESOME tankbag, nice and small and totally out the way. :thumleft:
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline armpump

« Reply #277 on: October 18, 2017, 07:42:18 am »
Do those "strap on type tank bags" not scratch the tank covers when dust and rain mix Renrew ?

Offline armpump

« Reply #278 on: October 18, 2017, 07:56:45 am »
Thanks Renrew, I agree, will look into it.
I have gone though all the stuff Bikegear offers before but never noticed these. Now I will have to decide whether I want to keep my handlebar bag or not. I am not to keen on getting a tankbag again.
nice solution though. I take it it is this one..
https://bikegear.co.za/product/sw-motech-detachable-cockpit-gps-mount-ktm-690950990bmw-650xchallange/

Check this one Molten

https://bikegear.co.za/product/sw-motech-vibration-dampened-gps-mount-22mm/

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #279 on: October 18, 2017, 07:57:28 am »
Do those "strap on type tank bags" not scratch the tank covers when dust and rain mix Renrew ?

Previous owner on previous GS had a touratech one which scratched the tank. I wont consider one if does not work with the quick release ring.
Also noticed no pics where the giant loop bag was a quick release setup, but I did not look at a catalogue so thought it was still possible. Much the same as the normal Bagsconnection tankbag, which I am familiar with and rate highly (actually on the blue GS in previous pic)

random internet pic of Giantloop bag in question, it does look nice