Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 30495 times)

Offline armpump

Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #300 on: December 10, 2017, 07:24:15 pm »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2017, 09:38:05 pm »
https://youtu.be/--Ucwqhd0tI

Thanks, I saw that, but I dont know how the inner rubber liner gets glued or vulcanised in place :(
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #302 on: December 24, 2017, 09:27:48 pm »
Merry Christmas all!

Okay so between postnet and KTM my tyre pressure sensor is missing. There is a common denominator here but I am tired of them featuring here or in my life so I will attempt sorting the tubeless functionality on my rim myself. Fortunately I did also get those cheapy ebay tps sensors so this is what a backup is for. They will not he seeing me or any of my money again.

But I will only be able to give attention again to my bike in the new year again. Currently on holidays with tbe family, but still aiming for the gravel routes driving my works bakkie and camping in a bush trailer.

Here is a thread I found very similar to my own.
http://www.ozadventurerider.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3529
Huge focus on the shocks, revalving and shims setup. A good read but I dont think I would have felt the little differences the writer mentions. I just know my bike handles loads better than the GS and while it did bottom some on the Lesotho ride I just increased comp and rebound and it didnt bottom anymore. Problem sorted while still riding a lot softer than my friend's 990. I could make it even stiffer but dont see the use when its not bottoming.

Currently I am very close to Baviaans, wish I had my bike here!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:17 pm »
I started getting productive again. planning to do a day trip coming weekend.

I had a mission where the replacement TPS I wanted to fit did not come with a nut to fit it. I am guessing as normally they are supposed to replace a broken part and not a 'thrown away' part.
Turns out this nut is not so readily available, 10mm with 0.9 thread. Hopefully I have the correct one currently on its way.

Then over the weekend I finally got to fit the petrol pre filter. Havent tested it yet but its in!
Fitted an offroad fuel dongle, no more forgetting settings when riding offroad.
Fitted fork socks. From experience and what I have read the KTM seals are not very good, so hopefully these will close that chapter.

I wanted to replace the broken horn panel but then decided to check up on my stearing damper. Bad idea...got me fuming again!
When I took the bike in for repairs I wanted them to address the stearing damper as well, it was very loose on the ball socket it was mounted to. I asked if its okay and for them to add it for insurance to sort. Then I asked them to increase the oil weight, do that well known upgrade iow. So, they charged me R1500 for this and its exactly like it was. Useless! I intend to change the oil this afternoon, another thing sorted then.

Then I also found one of the rubbers holding the tank in place had lost its bolt. Thanks KTM. couldn't understand why the tank was so loose on the one side so now I can sort that as well. And on the other side another bolt was about to fall out on the tank as well.
My son fixed his bike as well! Explainimg in big detail how much the bike van hirt him if it was to fall over

Now just hoping to get that TPS in time for the weekend, I am not very keen to refit the tube.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:38:54 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline armpump

« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2018, 02:29:42 pm »
Love the kids tool set and trolly :)

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2018, 02:44:49 pm »
Ek sien nou hoe die mannetjie kan dink motorfiets eienaarskap gaan meer oor die hoeveelheid tyd wat jy spandeer om daaraan te werk  :peepwall:

Maar lyk of KTM jou regtig ingedoen het. Glad nie goeie diens nie
Born to be Mild

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2018, 01:53:11 pm »
So prepping for Namakwa 4x4 trip in March. I have to change tyres and fix my loose head unit. There is more to it than what has been discussed already.

Got my new tyres and like the look of them. Anakees Wild front and a Anlas for the rear. Its basically the combo I like most out of the options I had.

Started fitting the front yesterday and decided to give tubeless another go. Swopped out the internal rubber band for a new one and everything seemed to be fine. Swopped the tyre and it was hell!  That anakees is hard, not a quick road side repair. Eventually had it on but the rim is still leaking! Wasted effort and I don't know what is still wrong. KTM truly have a shit tubeless system! Fitting a tube now, then will put some slime in to prevent punctures. Not changing that one next to the road. I am new to slime so expect some questions on it soon....

Pic of tyres and tubeless rim redo.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #307 on: February 20, 2018, 03:13:03 pm »
On the tubeless thing.

I know guys with enduro bikes used to figure out ways of sealing the spokes and going tubless.  Using waterproofing tape and silcone and stuff.  Wonder if that wouldn't help?

Offline bud500

« Reply #308 on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:44 pm »
On the tubeless thing.

I know guys with enduro bikes used to figure out ways of sealing the spokes and going tubless.  Using waterproofing tape and silcone and stuff.  Wonder if that wouldn't help?

Guys also used Sicaflex, I think.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline armpump

« Reply #309 on: February 20, 2018, 03:53:55 pm »
check tpms seal

Offline armpump

« Reply #310 on: February 20, 2018, 03:57:40 pm »
Oh and CLEAN the rim.............NO dust or dirt

:)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2018, 04:11:46 pm »
mmm, I see I did not update my last outing on the bike.
If you thought I have had drama in the past, you aint seen nothing yet. I will update later, it involves changing tyres MULTIPLE times and calling mommy for a lift at 1am....

Offline armpump

« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2018, 04:16:00 pm »
Possible problem to look out for

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2018, 06:14:20 am »
Hi Armpump, remember my fav stealership threw my TPS away, I am using a new one. I would like to know how that happened though?

So our previous trip I tried to get the tubeless to work. In the week buildup to our ride I made sure the rubber is in place for probably 6 times. Tyre lever removing the tyre everytime, everytime it would leak again and every time I would find a possible culprit again. eventually I gave up and fitted a tube....but

I pinched the tube. Then I fitted my backup tube and that also pinched. So time was running out and I patched 9 holes that night...
On the trip the patches lasted 160km before one came off. fitted my backup tube and pinched it. Fortunately Philip saw what I was doing wrong and it was the end of pinching for the day,  but the damage was done. Unfortunately though the patches held well to the next town and we also managed to stock up on plenty more patches, nice big ones, so we decided to continue with the major part of the trip, rather than calling it quits like we should have done.
THis was Van Zylsrus, so we continued via the Botswana border (1/2 was 2 spoor, 1/2 good road) to Askham/ Molopo lodge, about 200km and with the tyre suddenly going flat again as we pulled in to Molopo lodge. This was 6pm, we patched and on the return had 5 more flats in quick succession before just riding on the flat till the wire of the wheel came out. This was 11pm in the middle of nowhere. Philip gave me a lift for about 170km more before he ran out of petrol. 1am, 30km before Olifantshoek, little traffic and no one stops. so we called mommy to fetch me and bring petrol, got back, got the bakkie and trailer to fetch my bike, a very tiring all nighter. Still better than a day in office.

Thats my embarassing story explaining why I am not keen on troubleshooting the tubeless. I have become pretty proficient with tyre levers but that Wild is a lot tougher to work on than the previous E09, and I am over it.

Offline armpump

« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2018, 07:12:41 am »

Offline armpump

« Reply #315 on: February 21, 2018, 07:32:26 am »
Never done one myself but seems spoke nipple liner protector gets glued in ?

And then seal channel needs to be super clean so it seats properly (presume same for front)

TPMS seal obviously also important

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #316 on: February 21, 2018, 08:57:53 pm »
thanks Armpump for the video.
My tyre is unfortunately back on with a tube. Tyre fitment center could not sort it out. Seems like the tyre rubs against that rubber gasket and pulls it clear of its bead. But I was not expecting success so have peace wit the heavy duty tube in. Rear is still tubeless.

In other news. My stearing damper was very loose on its bracket and I thought it shouldnt be. So while the bike was at my fav stealership I had them "repair" it and also fit the 20W oil. Well, they charged me R1600, did not fit the thicker oil nor fix the loose bracket. So I went about replacing the oil myself. Buuuuut I struggled to get the seal out and ended up hitting it wiht a hammer to get it out. Finished up but found the pivot ball thingy came out. Put the ball in the fridge and heated up the other part and it came bac together only to separate again on the trip.

So I got a Hyperpro for a good price and installed it today! Cant wait to test it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:01:44 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #317 on: February 21, 2018, 11:22:09 pm »
Wow!!, molt3n, I haven't read your whole thread but you are going through a helluva learning curve on this page alone ........  :o
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2018, 07:16:21 am »
Wow!!, molt3n, I haven't read your whole thread but you are going through a helluva learning curve on this page alone ........  :o

Haha it never stops. But 70% is probably my own fault, myself wanting to upgrade things, upgrades going wrong or me just not wanting to make use of a dealer.

Offline armpump

« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2018, 08:12:19 am »
I need to get a extension before is do service because removing/refit without will be a bitch