Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR  (Read 24370 times)

Offline Rexc-w

Re: the tale of my 1190 RRRRRRRR
« Reply #400 on: March 11, 2019, 09:41:19 am »
Sal daarvan hou om die 1190 teen so duin uit te vat.  Moet hom nog Duin 7 toe ook neem :thumleft:
Rex
(KTM 1190 Adv R - 2013, KTM 300 XCW - 2016, Specialized Epic S-Works)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #401 on: March 11, 2019, 11:41:48 am »
Sal daarvan hou om die 1190 teen so duin uit te vat.  Moet hom nog Duin 7 toe ook neem :thumleft:

Dit was regtig vet pret. Ek het hele klomp keer op en af gery daar. Later bietjie cocky geraak en van nader af weg getrek en toe vas gesit, baie uitputtend om bike daar bo om te draai. Het bietjie in die bosse ook opge-eindig toe ek n ander duin te vining ge'charge' het, het sommer airtime ook gehad oor die cross axles! ek wou nie op hou nie, fiksheid my net gevang.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #402 on: May 27, 2019, 03:37:22 pm »
 :sip:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #403 on: June 25, 2019, 03:18:30 pm »
I have been getting very lazy to update this thread. Mostly because I am ashamed at not getting time (or having money) to keep my bike tip top. Also don't get much time to ride it.

anyhow, some highlights, about 6 weeks ago there was a local ride arranged by Diesel & Sand. A bar in the veld basically. So I see a add that there is going to be an outride, mostly for scramblers and quads and as I have been meaning to ride more sand this sounded like a good opportunity. I called up the guy and ask him how difficult it is on a big bike and get a vague answer, so now I don't know if it will be a waste of time or just to much/bike damaging ordeal. Did tell him though that I will be disappointed if I don't fall once...

So I didn't fall, but it was rather hard, 2 spoor very thick sand track between the trees and it was AWESOME! I am not afraid of sand at all anymore, it was a lot of fun. I did not have as much fun as the scramblers and was rather just surviving. Pity I didn't get any pics of the 2 spoor route.

In the end we bailed out a little early, was gatvol of the quads getting in in front of you, being slow (not all mind you, some could really gun it!) and spewing up a lot of dust but it was great. They also only ride hard for half an hour then rest for another half an hour, that got a bit old. But all in all a great experience.

And check out Pieter's 660! Really love the look of this specimen
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 03:21:49 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #404 on: June 25, 2019, 07:48:32 pm »
nee boet! as ek kyk waars Kumba se aandeelprys, behoort jy nou al nog 3 nuwe bikes te gekoop het  ;) :thumleft:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #405 on: June 26, 2019, 10:38:55 am »
I have been getting very lazy to update this thread. Mostly because I am ashamed at not getting time (or having money) to keep my bike tip top. Also don't get much time to ride it.

anyhow, some highlights, about 6 weeks ago there was a local ride arranged by Diesel & Sand. A bar in the veld basically. So I see a add that there is going to be an outride, mostly for scramblers and quads and as I have been meaning to ride more sand this sounded like a good opportunity. I called up the guy and ask him how difficult it is on a big bike and get a vague answer, so now I don't know if it will be a waste of time or just to much/bike damaging ordeal. Did tell him though that I will be disappointed if I don't fall once...

So I didn't fall, but it was rather hard, 2 spoor very thick sand track between the trees and it was AWESOME! I am not afraid of sand at all anymore, it was a lot of fun. I did not have as much fun as the scramblers and was rather just surviving. Pity I didn't get any pics of the 2 spoor route.

In the end we bailed out a little early, was gatvol of the quads getting in in front of you, being slow (not all mind you, some could really gun it!) and spewing up a lot of dust but it was great. They also only ride hard for half an hour then rest for another half an hour, that got a bit old. But all in all a great experience.

And check out Pieter's 660! Really love the look of this specimen
I am impressed with your sand riding prowess. Yes, the dirt bikes weiging 100kg do have a ball in those conditions. 230kg with rider is not a joke, but then the 1190 is a good bike...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #406 on: June 26, 2019, 11:21:39 am »
nee boet! as ek kyk waars Kumba se aandeelprys, behoort jy nou al nog 3 nuwe bikes te gekoop het  ;) :thumleft:

Ai man ek wens. Het Land Rover gekoop dat die familie saam die avonture kan begin beleef, so hy het nou eers daktent en aggresiewer tyres gekry.

I am impressed with your sand riding prowess. Yes, the dirt bikes weiging 100kg do have a ball in those conditions. 230kg with rider is not a joke, but then the 1190 is a good bike...

Thanks. But sand is everywhere here. I have gotten stuck in my back yard previously.

I very badly want to go do Xpat's Botswana trip, it looks doable with the big bike but I also don't want to go humiliate myself (or die) so first want to fit the most aggressive rear I can find (already have a front lined up) which I believe is the MotoZ dessert H/T if I remember the name correct. most aggressive that will still work on the 1190 that is.

Problem is there is still a little life left on the current rear, not much but still. So watch this space...

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #407 on: June 26, 2019, 11:26:41 am »
Thanks. But sand is everywhere here. I have gotten stuck in my back yard previously.

I very badly want to go do Xpat's Botswana trip, it looks doable with the big bike but I also don't want to go humiliate myself (or die) so first want to fit the most aggressive rear I can find (already have a front lined up) which I believe is the MotoZ dessert H/T if I remember the name correct. most aggressive that will still work on the 1190 that is.

Problem Opportunity is there is still a little life left on the current rear, not much but still. So watch this space...

A few burnouts can sort that "problem" of yours  :deal:
Born to be Mild

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #408 on: June 26, 2019, 11:36:44 am »

Ai man ek wens. Het Land Rover gekoop dat die familie saam die avonture kan begin beleef, so hy het nou eers daktent en aggresiewer tyres gekry.

Problem is there is still a little life left on the current rear, not much but still. So watch this space...

What are you running at present? TKC80s?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:37:34 am by Jacobsroodt »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #409 on: June 26, 2019, 12:13:53 pm »
Nope, don't like them. Never used them but you pay a premium for that name and there recently was a bad batch which made bubbles inside the tread (jap, you read that correctly)

In general I believe all knobbies will only give up to 5000km if you treat them with respect, all of them. you will even get more than 3k km out of an MX Kenda or whatever cheapie if you treat if reasonably. One hard stint on tar though and any of them will be done inside of a 150km.

So currently I am running the Anakees Wild on the front: I am rather happy with it. Its very hard though so tough to take of and fit with tyre levers. Its also not wearing. I think I have 5000km on it by now and it still looks new. So two things: I have been struggling a lot with punctures on the front (remember I have a tube fitted) which I think mostly is because I am running to low pressures and also I think its bad luck. Secondly I am getting bored with it, I have another front tyre ready to put on.

On the rear is an Anlas Kapla. I like them, haven't had any issues, first one is earlier in the thread, I destroyed it at high speed. But saw them on special (with the front, as mentioned above which is ready to put on...) so bought them again. I didn't track my mileage very well but think it did give me almost 5000km now. Good traction, not super hard so decent on tar as well. If I didn't want to test that MotoZ I would have taken whatever I could get again, or haven't tried yet. want to try a Shinko and E07+ still.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #410 on: July 01, 2019, 09:44:07 am »
LC8 section is going quiet lately.

Also did a one day trip 3 weeks ago. Was supposed to be a quick 500km, ride to Prieska, do 2spoor next to river to Douglas and back to Kathu. But when we got to Prieska Philip's (riding buddy) cousin with 1290 would only join if we took route to Carnarvon. I thought it's a bit far but wanting to get some km's done for Iron butt ride I want to do was okay with it. Bad decision.

We started off with Philip getting a flat rear. Time lost. Realized later time is running out and took shortest route home. Got confronted with a locked gate, forced through only to get to another stronger locked gate with that yellow sign, munitions testing ground. Turn around, time lost.
Then I got two flat tyres. In hindsight my front pressure was to low. I hate hard tyres on gravel but I am struggling badly with flats in general, was at 1.5bar and pinched the tyre, first heavy duty tube then normal tube). Got home after 3am.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:46:59 am by m0lt3n »

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #411 on: July 01, 2019, 10:25:40 am »
Dan dude, that sounds like a long day.

You seem to live in a great spot for riding though, being stuck in the city sucks.

I was planning to get out with some guys on saturday morning for a burn, but 10:30pm on Friday I discovered a leaking pipe in my roof, so Saturday was spent in the roof with leak clamps haha

Got a little fuck around in last night "urban adventuring" in all the small pieces of dirt in my suburb haha

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #412 on: July 01, 2019, 10:46:15 am »
Dan dude, that sounds like a long day.

You seem to live in a great spot for riding though, being stuck in the city sucks.

I was planning to get out with some guys on saturday morning for a burn, but 10:30pm on Friday I discovered a leaking pipe in my roof, so Saturday was spent in the roof with leak clamps haha

Got a little fuck around in last night "urban adventuring" in all the small pieces of dirt in my suburb haha

Contrary to what have been said previously, on the forum not really. There is about 5 routes to do within 300km. (if you ask most people they would mention 2)
You can only do those routes over that many times. If you want more technical you will have to go sleep over somewhere. So I am pushing the limits with time away from family and riding hard in one day.

I didn't mention it, but that previous trip ended up being more than 1000km. Riding from 7am to 3am.

So, next up. Philip's cousin mentioned last night they going to Waterford with their scramblers. We want to join with the big bikes. Waterford is sand sand and some more sand. To be best setup for this I plan on getting that motoz desert h/t tyre on the rear and fitting a new anlas kapla on the front (which I already have)

Question though for other 1190 riders (or guess I will find out soon enough) which ride mode is best? Sport or normal? Sport is generally not worth much offroad, you just spin. Offroad traction control and sand isn't friends, you just get stuck very quickly.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #413 on: July 01, 2019, 11:22:33 am »
What about using Offroad mode but turning MTC off?

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #414 on: July 01, 2019, 11:48:16 am »
What about using Offroad mode but turning MTC off?

If all goes well I should be able to give that feedback soon :)

Actually need to go make a confession in the confessions thread...I spend most of my riding in offroad mode...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #415 on: July 01, 2019, 01:59:15 pm »
LC8 section is going quiet lately.

Also did a one day trip 3 weeks ago. Was supposed to be a quick 500km, ride to Prieska, do 2spoor next to river to Douglas and back to Kathu. But when we got to Prieska Philip's (riding buddy) cousin with 1290 would only join if we took route to Carnarvon. I thought it's a bit far but wanting to get some km's done for Iron butt ride I want to do was okay with it. Bad decision.

We started off with Philip getting a flat rear. Time lost. Realized later time is running out and took shortest route home. Got confronted with a locked gate, forced through only to get to another stronger locked gate with that yellow sign, munitions testing ground. Turn around, time lost.
Then I got two flat tyres. In hindsight my front pressure was to low. I hate hard tyres on gravel but I am struggling badly with flats in general, was at 1.5bar and pinched the tyre, first heavy duty tube then normal tube). Got home after 3am.

Jy het baie moed om so 'n lang dag te ry!☺ Dankie vir die storie.
Sal tubeless nie vir jou beter werk nie?
NS. Ek sien nuwe Anakee Adventures is uit, maar dit sal nie eers op jou radar verskyn nie...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #416 on: July 01, 2019, 02:38:29 pm »
Haha nee. Laat dink my aan heidenhaus. Daai tyre gaan bo op sand spin en nie byt nie.

Ek sal e07+ nou sometime probeer na die sand gat jeuk gekrap is.

Tubeless kan nie so laag druk gaan vir sand ry soos tubes. Dit is die fancy antw, eintlik antw is KTM het my tubeless opgeneek en toe moes ek tube sit. Nou het ek daai rim al so gestraf met tyre levers dat ek twyfel of hy nog tubeless kan funksioneer. Ek staan voor die besluit om rim te vervang later met tubeless of n Did dirt star wat nie sal buig nie maar ook nie tubeless is nie.

My agterste tubeless loop nog alipad sonder issues of punctures

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #417 on: July 01, 2019, 02:57:29 pm »
I actually also spend plenty time in Offroad mode myself. Especially for traffic and lane splitting etc I like the muted throttle response a bit better, and still plenty shove to get going when you need to.

Plus it's almost like a wheelie control in first gear, still allowing a wheelie but kinda catches it :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #418 on: July 02, 2019, 11:40:38 am »
I actually also spend plenty time in Offroad mode myself. Especially for traffic and lane splitting etc I like the muted throttle response a bit better, and still plenty shove to get going when you need to.

Plus it's almost like a wheelie control in first gear, still allowing a wheelie but kinda catches it :biggrin: :biggrin:
Disclaimer: I sell them, but BoosterPlug will give you offroad mode throttle steadiness in Sports mode.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #419 on: July 02, 2019, 01:55:14 pm »
bike tyres are expensive! MotoZ is going to cost R2400! at least it is shipping included