Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kawasaki KLR 250 Comments Please!!!  (Read 804 times)

Offline Andy Tastic

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Kawasaki KLR 250 Comments Please!!!
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:37:51 am »
Hi Guys, Am new to the game. Got Details from 'oke on BIKE SA Site about this very awesome site. He and I spent hours on it last night. Most impressed
Perhaps any of you "boffs" out there can assist, I have a KLR 650 and my lightie of 17 wants to get a 2005 KLR 250.
We cannot find much info 'bout these Bikes, so please if anyone out there can advise, it will be much appreciated.
Must just mention that we are Cape based and would like info on Rides, in a Group, who dont mind trailing a 'ginner along.
Thanks all. Andy

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 11:40:42 am »
Hi Sean and welcome!

Good to see the crowd growing. You'll get your answers, that I gaurantee.

Not from me though. Didn't even know there was a KLR250. :oops:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Rooibaard

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:52:30 am »
The little I can tell you is that the KLR 250 is obviously the small boet of the 650, but in 2 stroke form. the older models were, but I think the new ones are 4T?
Now I'm not sure at all.
Dammit.

Anyway, if it's a grey import, rather stay away, contact kawasaki or your nearest kawa dealer to find out if they sell and maintain them.

If you insist on going the grey import route, rather have a look at the klx250s, road legal, 13:1 compression, 6 speed gearbox, inverted forks.
Wish I could have one.
-
This is not a signature

Offline Rooibaard

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 12:01:25 pm »
No. looks like they've always been 4stroke.
Just be careful of grey imports.
-
This is not a signature

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 12:26:21 pm »
welcome to the site! as with jman, i cannot comment on the bike, but try this link in the meantime, they have a section dedicated to the 250. with regard to availability in sa, i doubt whether it is officially imported by kawasaki.

http://www.klr650.net/forums/

shark_za

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:14:15 pm »
KLR250 was imported by Kawa SA. Not a grey issue.

Nice little bike, your son wont be dissapointed. The only thing you might not like is that it its a kick start. 4 Strokes are notoriously hard to kick once they are hot. But he is a lightie, skop hom !

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=2112487&fSectionId=891&fSetId=381

They did a short review on the bike, 20kw and 20nm is great for plodding along the trails.  It will go places the 650 will struggle.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:56:30 pm »
KMSA definitely still import it.... and, if my memory serves me...it might have electric start now...?

Should be a great DS starter if the 650 is anything to go by...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

shark_za

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 02:01:04 pm »
Nope, still a kicker.  

The KLX250S is an electric start, pity they deicided not to import it. Only valid reason is SA has bigger distances between towns and riding areas. We use our bikes on the highways.

That little KLX250S will make an awesome bike, like Rooibaard said.

Offline X Banana Boy

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 02:39:58 pm »
Welcome.  The KLR650 website should be a great help.

Offline Andy Tastic

• Pack Dog
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 03:16:03 pm »
Geez, Guys this response has been amazing. Thanks soo much.
Perhaps one of you "learned" Folk out there can advise, the "Lightie" says that he can apply for a Big Bike Learners License when he turns 17 in a few days time and can then ride a Big Bike. Our local Traffic Dept dont seem to understand my Question, but is this possible?.
The reason why I ask is that the KLR 250 is going to cost R29 000, secondhand, while I think it might be an idea to just buy him a good secondhand KLR 650 for about R34 000. A plus about this option is that he will be able to ride with me, when I head out on my KLR 650.
I thought the hassles would stop when I had eventaully decided which Bike I wanted, now this !!!!!!

Offline X Banana Boy

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 03:22:28 pm »
Ahh decisions decisions.  If you are comfortable with the 650, 'Lightie' probably will be as well.  You would be able to have great trips together - great bonding- riding the same bikes should make trips easier.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 03:23:10 pm »
As far as I know you can only get a big bike learner's once you turn 18 - only car learner's when you're 17... :roll:

But I might be mistaken...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 03:47:29 pm »
These guys all ride 650 and bigger :) Now let a 250/400 rider give you some advice, I have ridden a KLR DRZ XR 250. The KLR is a gr8 little bike. It's only kickstart but my friend started his with his hand, very easy starter.  Obviously not alot of power but plenty for trail riding. It's a little tractor ! Very smooth onroad and capable of 140 km/r untill you come across a headwind or hill :)
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 03:59:35 pm »
32 km/l and very reliable. For trail rides it's perfect, for lots of road riding rather go 650. All my bikes have been greys and never had a problem with spares etc All the late models are kmsa bikes. They are all the same except in colour. Search for klr 250 on google, there is a dedicated site with lots of info. Good luck :)
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien