Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wanted: DR650 fuel tap  (Read 652 times)

NickTheGreek

Wanted: DR650 fuel tap
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:06 am »
Got a leaking tap which I would like to replace. Suzuki don't have stock and quoted almost R2000 to order one...
Many thanks!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Wanted: DR650 fuel tap
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:54:13 am »
What is special about it?

Does Startline not offer an equivalent?

Post a pic - I have the catalogue open - on my way there later!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline NickTheGreek

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 10:56:41 am »
Many thanks, I will try Startline :-)

Offline Robin Brown

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:59:30 am »
The Suzuki tap has a cut out opened and closed by vacuum from the carb. No need to close the tap when parked. Hence the price.

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 10:14:55 am »
Get the petcock that the yamaha raptors use, they work just as well but dont leak after a while.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »
Repair the Suzuki tap.I had a few of those bikes, occasional problems, fixed them all. I would not want a manual tap instead of an automatic vacuum operated tap.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Umko

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 04:51:20 pm »
I've dismantled my Suzuki tap a few times and there seems nothing wrong with it. I put it back and, within a few days it's not working again.
So, I replaced it with a manual cock but which only has about 0,5l reserve.
I've ridden my DR happily with its original small tank, knowing that I had 50km of reserve. But, when you only have 10km, travelling becomes much more nerve-wracking.

Offline NickTheGreek

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 08:59:38 am »
Update: so, after a year or so of procrastination and telling myself I was going to replace the whole tank with a long range one, I finally popped into Startline the other day. Bought a generic tap and a length of hose for under R300 - sorted! (probably could have just paid for the Suzuki tap a year ago with all the petrol I wasted :-[)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 03:58:06 pm »
You get repair kits for the OEM tap
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline NickTheGreek

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 11:50:36 am »

Yes, Thank you lecap. I discovered that although no-one stocks a repair kit for the DR650 specifically, one CAN get a repair kit for the GSF600 Bandit fairly easily - and they are identical! Bought one at Startline and was able to repair the original tap perfectly. (The generic replacement tap only lasted about a week by the way.)

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 02:38:05 pm »

Yes, Thank you lecap. I discovered that although no-one stocks a repair kit for the DR650 specifically, one CAN get a repair kit for the GSF600 Bandit fairly easily - and they are identical! Bought one at Startline and was able to repair the original tap perfectly. (The generic replacement tap only lasted about a week by the way.)

I found that with almost each and every aftermarket fuel tap. Acerbis for example have a breakage prone tap lever which is an integral part of the tap valve and this makes sure that if it breaks it will leave you with your petrol draining into your boots. Also the only reason why the expensive and (in the US of A) much loved Pingel valves are rebuildable seems to be the necessity to do so all the time :o In my books teh OEM tap is the way to go with OEM tank as well as with the Clarke (fits without any mods). The Acerbis takes the OEM too after a tiny bit of filing to make space for the straw. If you have the larger of the two Acerbis tanks you can run only one tap you only use about one litre or so of capacity which you can make accessible in an emergency by tilting the bike to the left. The IMS tank also takes the OEM tap if you are prepared to file off the corners of the cylinder head's three topmost cooling ribs a bit.