Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Breakfast run to Starbucks a.k.a. Van Zylsrus  (Read 1244 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Breakfast run to Starbucks a.k.a. Van Zylsrus
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:01:53 am »
Just a quick short ride report....

It was time to clear our heads again, but with family duties always present, we only had time for a morning ride. Saturday we got together at 6am and took off.
I recently got an 1190, and with its soft rims we tried to keep to more sand focused roads.

We rode from Kathu to Deben on tar and then got on the gravel. Roads were a little sandy but we did have rains about 5 days ago so never encountered very deep and loose sand. Going through Tswalu we saw a 2spoor which looked very inviting. It was a line inspection road I think, but still fun. With the long gras it was a bit difficult to see the holes in the road. This eventually ended, and trying to sommer take of through the veld quickly resulted in my first off on my new (to me) bike. But it had to happed so now I can really start to enjoy it. The fall was nothing serious, I hit some big rocks I could not see and lost my balance. Bike fell nicely inbetween big rocks. We turned around and rode without much more incidents to Van Zylsrus.

The Hotel is rather nice and good value for money. a decent breakfast is R65 and this includes bottomless coffee. And asking for moer koffie it really is a treat. We stuffed our faces and then went off for the real reason we wanted to come here.
On the edge of the town there is a small dune I have been wanting to take on for a while now. But before setting off we met an old friend in a new Ranger which just rode the dune. I am not to sure if he made it, but he reckoned we couldnt, so now I was just more eager to get there.

Philip went first, he is the better rider, with lighter bike and better tyres. It looked easy. Soon I followed and it was a little of an anti climax easy. Still fun but the sand wasnt very loose.  Philip had a slight topple, but we had to make the pic tell the worst possible story.2nd attempt I didnt make it though, I did not carry enough speed combined with my slick tyres it was just not happening. Philip remarked I am almost not even kicking up sand. 3rd attempt was good again, while philip entertained the locals with his bike.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
Re: Breakfast run to Starbucks a.k.a. Van Zylsrus
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:46 am »
Almost forgot a pic of the Hotel...

We filled up, very chuffed with our adventure riding, drinking some water out of our new curio shop mugs (flip I felt old when we paid for those, adventure biking and buying curio crap!) did taste much better than a bottel. And then this red car pulled up next to us to fill up. Crazy, there is no tar roads to this town, and some of the tar leading to nearest gravel road is hideous, littered with potholes.

Anyhow, off we went. We wanted to take a new route back, but soon got to a close gate, a farmer noticed our indecision and explained we had to back track, and basically ride another route we have also done before, but halfway through he must have decided we could not load a sheep or cow onto the bikes and started explaining how we can take his own personal sortcut through his farm. Awesome. (I am going to post a Rever route, please not the was private lands)
His directions werent to clear though, so we rode, turned around, spoke to some other people, decided we were on the correct route and went off again. But turniing around in a 2spoor isnt to easy, I made some bad life decisions there and man-handled the bike there for the U turn. SO it is possible, but definitely not the correct way to turn. pic attached.

Soon we got to another gate and were not sure of the route at all. About to turn around I saw on the gps that the gravel road is not far in front of us so we went for it. Straight through the veld. The 950 was starting to run hot so Philip opened up while I continued to dodge hak & steek bushes. Damn they can grab and stop you in your tracks. Well we made it, pic attached where we went trough the gate and nothing but veld behind us.

Other than loads of butterflies back, there wasnt much more happening (they can really make one dirty and make a loud noise on the visor when splattering). My knobbly tyres are waiting for me in the garage so I am really excited to fit them. I also managed not to install a new smiley on my front rim which is also a nice bonus.  :patch:

My previous ride my stearing head bearing was a little loose and my suspension was set to hard/sport. This time that was sorted and I really enjoyed the ride a lot. Loving my bike more and more!

two more random pics....Tswalu nice and green after all the rain, Philip doing a donut. I need to try but dont have enough confidence yet. I could with the GSA, sort off. But if that fell the pods protected your feet. But I will get there...
There is some clips riding the dunes which I will see if I can load them, later.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:01 am »
Ai die Kalahari is mooi!! :drif: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Xpat

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:48:59 am »
Nice riding  :thumleft: I really like the remote feel of that area - none of that Gauteng husle and bustle.

If you are running out of places to ride there and have passport, a quick shindig across the border to Bots may be solution. Maybe try to get somewhere the routes Amageza did in 2015 and I'm sure those bush tracks south of Kgalagadi park will keep you exercised on big bike for quite a while. And it probably can be done in one day trip, seeing that you are not afraid of riding in the dark and doing crazy distances in one day.

I was quite surprised see you on KTM - I thought you bled blue. Just one question: what is up with those twin exhausts on 1190? They look really weird sticking too far to the side and being too low, exposed to whatever they may connect with. Doesn't look like the right set-up for dirt to me. Is there any real benefit of that set-up?

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:14:59 pm »
Sjo, the Kalahari is beautiful!!!!!

You guys must be so proud of your back yard.

Is Waldo still at the Hotel? Great place. Many a hangover have originated there...

And how on earth did that S4 get there? I really can't believe it.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 12:24:50 pm »
Nice riding  :thumleft: I really like the remote feel of that area - none of that Gauteng husle and bustle.

If you are running out of places to ride there and have passport, a quick shindig across the border to Bots may be solution. Maybe try to get somewhere the routes Amageza did in 2015 and I'm sure those bush tracks south of Kgalagadi park will keep you exercised on big bike for quite a while. And it probably can be done in one day trip, seeing that you are not afraid of riding in the dark and doing crazy distances in one day.

I was quite surprised see you on KTM - I thought you bled blue. Just one question: what is up with those twin exhausts on 1190? They look really weird sticking too far to the side and being too low, exposed to whatever they may connect with. Doesn't look like the right set-up for dirt to me. Is there any real benefit of that set-up?

I agree with Xpat, the 2 pipes will look much better on my 950!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:27:45 pm by PHILIPKUHN »
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline XRRX

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 01:11:53 pm »
 :thumleft: :thumleft: Hel maar die Kalahari lyk mooi!!!
Wil graag weer 'n biertjie by daaai Hotel gaan drink ... O0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:56 pm »

I did find a nice 2spoor next to the border, also there near Van Zyls on our previous trip, so we are definitely making progress ito finding nice tracks. But will look into the Amageza routes, I actually thought they werent generally available.

Yes I am dabbling with the darker side :) Cant keep bashing something without firsthand knowledge. I realised I am fooling no one with a big ass touring bike, there wont be much touring for a few years now so let me benefit from having a family rather. I concidered an 800 but my ego wont allow that as yet.

I never actually though the pipes are lower than OEM, will look into it. Looking now at other pics it looks fine, I think the pannier racks should also do the trick, I flippen hope so thats why I bought them.
Benefits...not much except that I like the look and it sounds awesome. Most people say their bikes sound awesome...but this really does. I can never understand why the smaller class bikes can have twin pipes but bigger ones dont. I bought this with the double pipes, -but it definitely made my choice easier.

Here is the tale of my bike
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=204555.0

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:43:19 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 01:40:37 pm »
Ai die Kalahari is mooi!! :drif: :thumleft:

Just to give an idea. This was about 6 weeks ago when the rains started falling. Exact same spot as my second to last pic above.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:02:36 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline Xpat

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 02:47:24 pm »

I did find a nice 2spoor next to the border, also there near Van Zyls on our previous trip, so we are definitely making progress ito finding nice tracks. But will look into the Amageza routes, I actually thought they werent generally available.

That double track follows the border all the way from Bokspits to VZR, probably even further. I have ridden it once, and I believe it is every year part of the Desert Run from Kuruman to Swakopmund as a red route (there isn't much red about it, but I guess with passenger or if you are completely new to sand you might get some scary moments).

Not sure if you will be able to get Amageza tracks, but quite frankly - you don't need them. Just fire up Googlemaps, chose satellite view and start tracking (best in My Maps application from google) the tracks you can see on satellites). Just look at the area between border and southern boundary of Kgalagadi park (where of course you should not venture) with Tsabong being the easternmost boundary, and you will find wealth of criscrossing paths in all directions crossing what looks to be as some of the most delicious dune fields anywhere. And I would bet that  - with exception of the NP of course - this is all public land where you can ride freely.

I had quick look and immediately started to dislike you intensely - you know how far I need to travel to come close to that kind of riding? Here are just few random snapshots from Googlemaps:

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 03:13:37 pm »
Well Xpat, I think then that Khawa Primary school will need a visit!
I was planning on doing a sand riding course, but this will seem to sort that 'development need' out nicely.
Thanks for the tips, we will definitely be doing some proper sand then in the near future.

It will require some careful planning, on that border route we were on the RSA side of the fence on the two spoor while instructions we recieved were actually to ride between the two border fences, and after quite some time of riding we saw that the route inbetween the fences came to a deadstop due to some serious bushes. It was only luck that we werent there and would have had to turn back.

I actually heard about the desert run yesterday, googled it but saw there really isnt much serious riding involved, I would guess serious drinking is rather the order of the day. THat bit of the route you mentioned was the toughest of the rally, except for going to play in the dunes.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:43:46 am »
To show what a gentleman and scholar I am, and that I have no life, and most importantly as a start of planning of one of my future trips, I have staked a route to Khawa Primary School from and back to Middlepits border post on google maps. The main road to the School seem to be on easy gravel/cement road, but then I have plotted return journey (or the other way around - whichever you start) from the school back on the paths I can see in the dunes. Some of them may be too brutal for 1190, but most of them run relatively close to the dirt road, so worst case scenario one can bundu bash to the road if things get too difficult.

Have a look at it here - you can zoom in - make sure you do, you will see the terrain as well as many other alternative paths you can take. Of course I cannot guarantee that there is no fence there (I think chances are pretty low though), but this place seem to be a goldmine for dual sporting! Looks like our local version of Simpson Deser. I will definitely stake out more over time and plan a trip to do proper exploration there. In the meantime, can you please go ride it and let me know how good it is?

With lets say 200 km to the border and 200 km back (from Kathu) giving you total of 400 km liaison, the special loop in Bots about 150 km (about half of it seems good gravel) will give you proper Amageza stage IMO  :)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1I4Kx8cvgkM0iWz2TLdMRhEOy_1Q
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:46:00 am by Xpat »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:31:44 am »
To show what a gentleman and scholar I am, and that I have no life, and most importantly as a start of planning of one of my future trips, I have staked a route to Khawa Primary School from and back to Middlepits border post on google maps. The main road to the School seem to be on easy gravel/cement road, but then I have plotted return journey (or the other way around - whichever you start) from the school back on the paths I can see in the dunes. Some of them may be too brutal for 1190, but most of them run relatively close to the dirt road, so worst case scenario one can bundu bash to the road if things get too difficult.

Have a look at it here - you can zoom in - make sure you do, you will see the terrain as well as many other alternative paths you can take. Of course I cannot guarantee that there is no fence there (I think chances are pretty low though), but this place seem to be a goldmine for dual sporting! Looks like our local version of Simpson Deser. I will definitely stake out more over time and plan a trip to do proper exploration there. In the meantime, can you please go ride it and let me know how good it is?

With lets say 200 km to the border and 200 km back (from Kathu) giving you total of 400 km liaison, the special loop in Bots about 150 km (about half of it seems good gravel) will give you proper Amageza stage IMO  :)

Thanks Xpat, I am generally way to lazy or cowardly to plot the 'thinner/less major' routes, but this does look awesome. I was actually also busy plotting last night, but struggled to make it work without going to far, that one I plotted was to Bray (minor bucketlist route for me) and back, 850km which is to much for a day, or rather to much if technical riding is included.

So my itenirary is currently to do a dustybutt on 8th of April, get the long weekends behind me, then do this route. It being closer to winter then will also help. We can be at Van Zyls at 8 when the kitchen opens, fill up and be ready for a hard morning.
Early May will be nicely right after all the rains we had, then I can report back it wasnt to bad...so you can do it in the dry season! Haha
Hopefully I will have a ballistic vest also by then, these twat suits are to warm for this.

Philip I hope you are following this! There is work on the cards for that 950....

Thanks again Xpat, its my first encounter with mymaps as well, will have to play with it as well

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 04:14:42 pm »
Kom ons maak a STOFFIE!!   O0 O0
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 09:57:12 pm »
Rever ride 03/11/17 DISTANCE: 222,8 km. TIME: 07:24:06 https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/351223

the ride on rever. normally I use spotwalla but thought I would test Rever. some nice different info but think I still prefer spotwalla.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 10:43:17 pm »
In the meantime, I have staked out offroad connection from yesteday's track all the way to Tsabong. As far as I can see these sections are much more remote and tracks much smaller/less used, so proceed with extreme caution. You can see the tracks in that original link:

I have to say, the more I play with this the more I'm getting a feeling that I actually may have a week in April to go and have a look see  for myself...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:13:40 pm by Xpat »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 07:57:48 am »
In the meantime, I have staked out offroad connection from yesteday's track all the way to Tsabong. As far as I can see these sections are much more remote and tracks much smaller/less used, so proceed with extreme caution. You can see the tracks in that original link:

I have to say, the more I play with this the more I'm getting a feeling that I actually may have a week in April to go and have a look see  for myself...

I can offer you a bed if we are here. And maybe join over a weekend, but Philip will be a better bet to keep up. Anyhow you are welcome, a ride together would be nice and I would love a chat over google maps while my wife will hate the implications of that same chat.
Van Zylsrus hotel is also nice accomodation, so I hear, I plan on going there with the family in the bakkie this weekend so can give feedback later.

Re your link of MyMaps. there is more than one route to same places, is that options or is the program taking the easiest option and plotting it while the 'bubble' waypoints are the route you plotted?