Water pump mechanical and oil seal replacment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelwithacause

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi Guys,

Question on replacing the mechanical and oil seals in the water pump. I got to my bike this morning finding it with a say 30cm puddle of coolant leaked out on the floor below it, as. On closer inspection it seems to have leaked from the weep hole in the the right crank case cover. I checked the coolant level and it was still okay, so i did my quick commute (with high alert on the temperature gauge) to work to seem how much the leakage is. Got to work, didn't show anymore leaks and check during the day, still fine no drips and coolant level is stable. The bike has never had any coolant leaks before.

As far as I know, water leaking from the weep hole means the mechanical seal has gone or is going. To replace this the manual says to also remove the right crank case cover in order to remove the oil and mechanical seals. I have however seen videos showing how to remove the seals without needing to remove the crank case cover. Just want to hear if anyone here has done the replacement without removing the crank case cover?  Did you find it an okay way to do or is it a no go?

Many thanks.