890 Adv R rear shock leaking oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
I did a quick check of my 890 adventure r this afternoon and saw a puddle of oil under the bike. Grabbed the torch to try find the source and figured out that it's the rear shock that's leaking oil, put my finger against the seal at the shaft and it's pretty clear that the seal has blown - I haven't ridden for 2 weeks, so not sure if the change in temp had an effect on this or of its been slowly leaking for a bit and just gave way today. Either way I'm glad that it happened now as I have the High 5 trip in Oct and the last thing you want out there is leaking suspension.

I contacted Leon from Blue Note, a couple of my riding mates rate him highly, and he can most likely help me tomorrow. I'm wondering whether I might as well upgrade the spring to a higher load rating, while it's out. I weigh just under 100kg without gear and do a fair amount of trips with luggage and camping kit.

Do you guys have any views on whether it's worth upgrading the rear spring? Leon says the KTM's have decent rear springs and are generally over sprung and he doesn't recommend changing it out.

Know I'm thinking maybe it's the cat that caused this from the excess heat, anyone have a view on whether the cat heatshield actually works and would prevent this or is it just something that happens after 20,000km's, with plenty of offroad miles?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: