Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My 610 let me down, but lives again!  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Straatkat

My 610 let me down, but lives again!
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:45:16 am »
Xpat and myself were on our way to a sand riding adventure of a lifetime, the sandy dunes of Southern Bots, when about 50km before Bray my engine seized.
I was just starting to enjoy those sandy roads, bombing along at 100+ when my back wheel just locked. Luckily I was fast on the clutch and saved a bad fall.
First thing to check was oil level, which seemed within limits, and coolant was full too. What gives? We managed to get a nearby farmer to collect me and the bike on his bakkie and they put us up for the night. As we offloaded the bike I spotted some oil running out of the bashplate. Then all kinds of demons run through my brain, did I forget to tighten the sump plug when changing oil? Has the engine developed a crack? Where does the oil come from? Im my mind, if all fluid levels are fine how can the engine seize?
Anyway got my wife to recover me the following day, and we got home at 1am. What an unneccesary ordeal. Back home I stripped the Hyde bashplate off and saw what looked like the oil running out between the engine casings??? Both sump plugs were still in play and I could not see any cracks..... Tito volunteered to take the engine apart and see what can be done, so tomorrow I will take the bike to him. I can't believe my trusty Husky let me down like this, on day one of a two week adventure! I did notice the fuel consumption was very high, I only got 150km on a tank, so I was only getting around 12km/l. Normally it's more like 18.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:04:06 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Re: My 610 let me down!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:48:06 am »
And so the love hate relationship goes...  ::)

Sterkte! I hope you find the issue and that repairs don't cost you an arm and a leg.  :thumleft:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:56:59 am »
Bad luck!!

and Xpat did he go on?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:01:32 am »
Nie nice nie, en hier sit ek al die laaste 2 maande en hou die internet dop vir een wat te koop is........

Hoop hy kan nice gefix word.

Online exkdx

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:12:34 am »
Eish - wrong time for any bike to let you down :(
Mine have done about 80,000km with no problems to date but I am getting a bit apprehensive to attempt a long trip...

KDX200 gone
YZ 250 gone
Husky TE610 one left
KTM 500 XC-W latest addition

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:29:44 pm »
Sorry to hear. Would be very interested to hear what was the cause.

I have a complete spare engine (no papers) but you can canabilse it to repair yours if need be. If you need help just shout - I know the inside of that motor pretty well by now.

The price is here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=208239.0  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:31:38 pm by Kykdaar »

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:48 pm »
Jip Xpat continued on his merry way, he is no stranger to solo trips, I was just really looking forward going with him, he is so experienced with such things and a wealth of information on these trips on what to do and what not to, he has seen it all. I would also have felt a lot better being there with him for some support, two riders are a whole lot better than going it alone. Will take the bike to Tito tomorrow, he knows his way around engines. I did drown it in Makgadigadi last year, it could have caused some damage to the internals that only manifested itself now. Only opening the motor will tell. Quite honestly this is the first  610 motor that I know of that seized, normally they are super reliable. To top it all I spent almost the entire February going over everything and changing all the bearings in the suspension and wheels, even laced up a new rim on the back because mine was cracked at the weld... and a whole host of other things. Bummer of note!
18 till I die.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 02:37:30 pm »
I am sorry to read of this misfortune - hope its not too terminally expensive - looking forward to your NEXT RR...  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:37:59 pm by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Scrat

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 03:10:39 pm »
Aaai man!! DIs nie mooi nie!!

Kani glo dat n 610 jou laat gaan staan het nie!!  ???

Jy moet seblief deel wat jy kry met die autopsie  :thumleft:
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »
Baie jammer om te hoor Straatkat!

Ek wag in spanning om te verneem wat fout gegaan het.

Vertrou jy kan die Husky gou herstel...Swaziland wag vir ons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 07:17:57 pm »
The crank probably seized

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 09:04:35 pm »
The only thing I did to the motor was change the oil, with full synthetic Castrol Edge Sport 10W60. Been running this oil for the past 2000km, before that I only used Motul 300V.
The autopsy will reveal all. Directly after the incident the oil level was still fine, so the motor had all the oil it needed. Only started pissing out afterwards. Did the seizing force the casings apart? If the crank suddenly stops there are forces at play that don't exist when the motor runs normally......We wait to see with abated breath.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:20:47 pm by Straatkat »
18 till I die.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 10:03:24 pm »
I also got it as one of the most reliable thumpers. You probably got water damage on the 'drowning' incident....ai man

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 12:53:10 pm »
Not good keep us posted  :P
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 02:37:13 pm »
Good luck with the repair!
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 06:49:40 pm »
Well Tito and myself stripped the motor today, the bore is perfect, the big end loose, but the crank is solid! What amazes me is that the main bearings are roller/ball bearings, how can they seize? One other worrying thing was that there was no oil in the oil pump......took off the cover and literally a few drops came out. I had to leave before Tito got to split the casings, so the real reason for the seize will be revealed soon....
18 till I die.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:43 pm »
Well Tito and myself stripped the motor today, the bore is perfect, the big end loose, but the crank is solid! What amazes me is that the main bearings are roller/ball bearings, how can they seize? One other worrying thing was that there was no oil in the oil pump......took off the cover and literally a few drops came out. I had to leave before Tito got to split the casings, so the real reason for the seize will be revealed soon....

Did not even know that the main bearings are roller, and yes it does not make sense but maybe your oilpump pickup blocked.....however you should know soon when Tito is done taking it apart  :-\

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 07:20:20 pm »
Oil pump drive shaft failure maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 09:45:57 pm »
Driven off the crank shaft end spline.

They are easily damaged especially when re-fitting the side cover and forcing it.

Mine looked like this

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 10:22:01 pm »
A real bummer, sorry to hear. Really the first one I have heard of here or anywhere that has seized solid. My guess is oil pump failure. Did you check the mesh bag filters with the oil change? There are also cases of the end failing and being jettisoned into the engine .  :-\
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky: