Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW R1200 GSA LC RIGHT SIDE HEAT ISSUE ??  (Read 10716 times)

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
Re: BMW R1200 GSA LC RIGHT SIDE HEAT ISSUE ??
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 08:00:03 am »
Hi All,
Do any of you guys have the same problem?
All my previous trips on my new 2017 GSA was done alone. Yesterday my wife join me the first time on the LC to J-Bay for a breakfast. It was quite warm here in PE and the OBC shows 31deg.
On my solo rides I did feel quite a lot of heat on my lower right hand side leg but I thought it was just the CAT that was doing it but after yesterday I am not so sure about it. This only happens with highway speed of 120 and higher. My wife complain that her right leg was burning and I feel that even the right hand side grab rail was getting hot.

I found this on the Web: http://hardtxrider.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/gsa-right-side-heat-issue.html?m=1

Euro 4... these people trying to save the world. The leaner the fueling (close to 14.7:1 air/fuel), the more heat. The only way to alleviate (if true) is to add a power commander and enrich the mixture. That, or they change the fuel map at BMW, but then as said, it won't be Euro 4 compliant anymore.

If I were you, I'd go to BMW SA and basically tell them to load a different map if possible. Euro 4 does not apply to SA!

If that fails, I'd recommend this instead of power commander: http://sales.nightrider.com/AF-XIED-for-BMW-R1200_p_59.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:24:37 am by volroom »
2003 R1150GS

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »
Hi All,
All my previous trips on my new 2017 GSA was done alone. Yesterday my wife join me the first time on the LC to J-Bay for a breakfast. It was quite warm here in PE and the OBC shows 31deg.
On my solo rides I did feel quite a lot of heat on my lower right hand side leg but I thought it was just the CAT that was doing it but after yesterday I am not so sure about it. This only happens with highway speed of 120 and higher. My wife complain that her right leg was burning and I feel that even the right hand side grab rail was getting hot.

I found this on the Web: http://hardtxrider.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/gsa-right-side-heat-issue.html?m=1

Euro 4... these people trying to save the world. The leaner the fueling (close to 14.7:1 air/fuel), the more heat. The only way to alleviate (if true) is to add a power commander and enrich the mixture. That, or they change the fuel map at BMW, but then as said, it won't be Euro 4 compliant anymore.

If I were you, I'd go to BMW SA and basically tell them to load a different map if possible. Euro 4 does not apply to SA!

If that fails, I'd recommend this instead of power commander: http://sales.nightrider.com/AF-XIED-for-BMW-R1200_p_59.htm
l

Just make sure that is compatible with the LC as it doesn't state so on the web

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2017, 09:06:19 pm »
Hi All,

If that fails, I'd recommend this instead of power commander: http://sales.nightrider.com/AF-XIED-for-BMW-R1200_p_59.htm
l

Just make sure that is compatible with the LC as it doesn't state so on the web

One should do research, I think it is conpatible as I've read of a few that fitted it to LC.
2003 R1150GS

Offline YoungGSer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Ride the WORLD
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 12:15:36 pm »
Rode out to Storms river today and when I got home I noticed that number plate is starting to warp due to heat. It's going for its first service tomorrow so i will definitely be showing this to the service guys.

I definitely think that they should load a different fuel map or come up with another solution. Saying that the fuel mixture is within parameters is irrelevant if the parameters are incorrect to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Original Barstool Prophet

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »
Let me know if anyone wants to give a BoosterPlug a try to see if it alleviates the problem. 1190R riders says it makes their bikes run cooler and air cooled riders report that pinging stops. I am willing to supply a loan unit.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags - whatever works for me.

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 10:34:45 am »
So after having a chat with the dealer this morning. They have stated that BMW SA is aware of the heat issue and is major problem on 17 models. Apparently the fuel mix is within parameters.

I have an Akro slip on so they said the back pressure is different than with the OEM. One of the  solutions they said is to replace the headers to remove the cat, but if you do that it will void the warranty ! I'm mean WTF. They are expecting a major recall soon though, so we shall see.

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline FJR

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »
I have an Akro slip on so they said the back pressure is different than with the OEM. One of the  solutions they said is to replace the headers to remove the cat, but if you do that it will void the warranty ! I'm mean WTF. They are expecting a major recall soon though, so we shall see.

Ons sal maar sien ivm die warrenty. BMW moet net een ding onthou, ons fietse is nog onder CPA en jy kan dit nog terug gee vir hulle. Noem dit bietjie vir jou dealer en jy sal sien hou gou verander hy sy praatjies oor "Void Warrenties". Hulle is in groot moeilikheid met die 2017 fietse en sal uit hulle pad gaan om jou te help voordat hulle jou fiets terug neem en jou geld terug gee. Jy kan hulle natuurlik ook vir n ander fiets vra om mee te ry totdat hulle die probleem opgelos het. Ek dink dit hang ook maar baie van jou handellaar af, ek weet van hoeveel 2017 fietse waar die handellaars self die CATS laat uithaal het of Akra / Remus Headers aangesit het. Ongelukkig is die koste aan dit verbonde op die oomblik vir die eienaar se sak.

Ek kan ongelukkig nie die handellaars se name op n openbare forum noem nie.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:14:03 pm by FJR »

Offline FJR

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 03:19:45 pm »

Ons sal maar sien ivm die warrenty. BMW moet net een ding onthou, ons fietse is nog onder CPA en jy kan dit nog terug gee vir hulle. Noem dit bietjie vir jou dealer en jy sal sien hou gou verander hy sy praatjies oor "Void Warrenties". Hulle is in groot moeilikheid met die 2017 fietse en sal uit hulle pad gaan om jou te help voordat hulle jou fiets terug neem en jou geld terug gee. Jy kan hulle natuurlik ook vir n ander fiets vra om mee te ry totdat hulle die probleem opgelos het. Ek dink dit hang ook maar baie van jou handellaar af, ek weet van hoeveel 2017 fietse waar die handellaars self die CATS laat uithaal het of Akra / Remus Headers aangesit het. Ongelukkig is die koste aan dit verbonde op die oomblik vir die eienaar se sak.

Vergeet om te se, ek het geen "Heat Issue's" meer op my bike nie, waarvan praat julle  >:D >:D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:39:01 am by FJR »

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2017, 04:34:47 pm »

Vergeet om te se, ek het geen "Heat Issue's" meer op my bike nie, waarvan praat julle  >:D >:D
Are those the stainless or Titanium headers ?. According to BMW, akro don't even import the headers into SA as it's not covered under warranty !

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline FJR

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 08:12:08 am »
Are those the stainless or Titanium headers ?. According to BMW, akro don't even import the headers into SA as it's not covered under warranty !

Black SS Ceramic Coated Remus Headers. You can buy Akra or Remus headers here in SA. The importers have both in stock.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:13:01 am by FJR »

Offline FJR

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 08:16:27 am »
After Ceramic coating was done by Powerkote.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:17:30 am by FJR »

Offline heti

• Heti, the abominable slowman!
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 08:31:01 am »
Fokkit... hoe kwyl ek nou op my lessenaar!   :drif:

Offline silvrav

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:45 am »
Fokkit... hoe kwyl ek nou op my lessenaar!   :drif:

self...sal wag om te sien wat hulle met die recall doen, anders is dit om my lys vir christmas

Offline YoungGSer

• Ride the WORLD
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 09:34:40 am »
The powder coating looks great. I think I'm going to try get a set of headers from the U.K. As they are probably a bit cheaper than here. The only other solution I see is for BMW to replace all the 2017 bikes headers with the ones from the 2016 model

R1200 GS Adventure 2017

Offline FJR

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 10:39:44 am »
The powder coating looks great. I think I'm going to try get a set of headers from the U.K. As they are probably a bit cheaper than here. The only other solution I see is for BMW to replace all the 2017 bikes headers with the ones from the 2016 model

They can't do it because then it's not an Euro 4 anymore. I hear they are looking at software updates but that will also be a problem with Euro 4 and they are looking at a way to get better airflow over the CAT.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:41:31 am by FJR »

Offline silvrav

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 10:52:22 am »

They can't do it because then it's not an Euro 4 anymore. I hear they are looking at software updates but that will also be a problem with Euro 4 and they are looking at a way to get better airflow over the CAT.

Just stop this euro 4 kak and make a specific class for SA. remove cat and be done with it

Offline bronzy

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 11:02:06 am »
also have that problem on my bike will speak to the dealer about it

Offline gee

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 01:55:05 pm »
I have logged it at zambizi dealer as well they did not seem to know about the problem

Sent from my HS-U961 using Tapatalk

Offline luv2ride

• Strand brak
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Strand brak
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 08:13:20 pm »
After Ceramic coating was done by Powerkote.

A, lala maar dit lyk mooi. Wat is die skade om dit te laat doen?

BMWF800GS and BMWR1200R
Honda NC700X -Sold; BMW1150GSA -sold
BMW F650 twin - sold
BMW F800ST - in bike heaven Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold Kawasaki ER6F -sold Yamaha FZ6 - sold BMW 1200GS - sold BMW 650 Dakar - sold Yamaha XJ750 - stolen Honda MT5 - given away as scrap

Offline BLK

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »
Is Euro4 hoping to save the planet with their exhaust requirements.What a waste of time.Just one of North Korea's missile's have already disturbed the earths atmosphere 10 fold.Who are they fooling.