Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Could not find the klip, had fun though !  (Read 1406 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Could not find the klip, had fun though !
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:56:14 pm »
Did anyone ride to the klip today ? I only made it to the Canal at 9am. First I went down the wrong dirt road, I ended up going back and finding the second dirt road that ran along the canal on the right.

As far as I went I looked for tracks and it seems one or two of you guys rode there today ?
I could see some spin marks on the dirt and ds tyre tracks. I followed the tracks upto the train track where they turned right and led to the tar road. I now had no idea where I were and could not see any damn klip either  :? The tar road to the right went to a mine, I turned left and found the canal again to my right  and came across alot of mud ! At one stage my front wheel let go and I rode sideays for about 10 meters but managed to stay on. I then got to a crossing where the tracks stopped as well. It looked like someone made a U-turn. The 4-way crossing had a blue panted bridge going over it. I turned right but it led to some locked gates. I went back and wanted to follow the canal but there were no tracks there so I figured I was on the wrong road anyway. If only I got there earlier I could have rode with you guys.

Some nice farms along the way

I took these pics after passing a Spanish type of restaurant on my right. The mud was getting worse.

Went through two rocks and it became a two track road

This was after the fourway crossing, by now I had no idea where I were. Crossing the standing water was fun though  :lol:

Back at the turnoff to the start of the trail

Rode the Scurweberg road on my way back

The weather was closing in and I had some rain near Erasmia

Could anyone tell me where I should have rode ? Shark gave me gps points but I still have no mount on my bike.

PS - I spent five hours on the bike today, my ass is sore but overall not too bad for such a long ride.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 05:04:38 pm »
have to smile at your perseverance  :)  :)
and am glad i am not the only one without a GPS

nice going DD  :lol:  :lol:

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 06:54:27 pm »
ja they growing on me too Michnus, like a slow bad rash  :D

nah, that bike is sweet. i dont care what lito says  :shock:

on that note...nice pics DD... nicely done. beautiful green!!!!!!
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Kev

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:11:45 pm »
Quote from: "digitaldan"
PS - I spent five hours on the bike today, my ass is sore but overall not too bad for such a long ride.

I am glad your bike makes your butt eina!! Forces you to jump off and take these stunning pics! Well done that man (and his bike)!!  :thumbright:

shark_za

Re: Could not find the klip, had fun though !
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:30:56 pm »

I took these pics after passing a Spanish type of restaurant on my right. The mud was getting worse.

If this little uphill is about a km past that place with the moat, and just before here there is a left turn with a lot of stones, you are correct.
Did you get too the railway line?  

I need to ride next weekend, this one past was spent spannering, so I can show you the route then.
There are a few sections where you lose the canal road, and need to detour a short bit to find it again, but you looked pretty close.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Could not find the klip, had fun though !
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:06:06 am »
Did anyone ride to the klip today ? I only made it to the Canal at 9am. First I went down the wrong dirt road, I ended up going back and finding the second dirt road that ran along the canal on the right.

[
As far as I went I looked for tracks and it seems one or two of you guys rode there today ?
I could see some spin marks on the dirt and ds tyre tracks. I followed the tracks upto the train track where they turned right and led to the tar road. I now had no idea where I were and could not see any damn klip either  :? The tar road to the right went to a mine, I turned left and found the canal again to my right  and came across alot of mud ! At one stage my front wheel let go and I rode sideays for about 10 meters but managed to stay on. I then got to a crossing where the tracks stopped as well. It looked like someone made a U-turn. The 4-way crossing had a blue panted bridge going over it. I turned right but it led to some locked gates. I went back and wanted to follow the canal but there were no tracks there so I figured I was on the wrong road anyway. If only I got there earlier I could have rode with you guys.

[
This was after the fourway crossing, by now I had no idea where I were. Crossing the standing water was fun though  :lol:

[
The weather was closing in and I had some rain near Erasmia

[Could anyone tell me where I should have rode ? Shark gave me gps points but I still have no mount on my bike.

Try Wino for GPS,
We were there, 4 of us (mit the Germans), it is more tricky doing 10 metres with the front wheel (DS shod not Knobs) of a GS going sideways, that mud is mean.

Welshie
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:34:56 am »
cool one dd!
but, that looks like the 'other' canal road(?) than the one that we 'almost' did sunday to the klip (yeah-yeah, will post report later)

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:40:10 am »
Very nice DD! Brought back nice memeories of the "mud fight" when we did the Canal! Awesome.

Just one question at this stage. Why do you do all these nice trips on your own? (Seeing you did the Rhino Park also on Sunday)
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 10:45:39 am »
Does sunday suit you DD? Not sure what time this batchelors party starts on saturday. I'll ride it with a hangover this time.
Maybe Rhino Park on saturday early, do some soft sand.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 02:12:40 pm »
Yeah I made it to the railway track and hit a right which led to the 4 way stop. I think one went to Rosslyn, the other to Brits and one to a mine ?
I remembered about turning left but there were so many turnoff's I decided to stick to the trail. Where I turned around it still went on but I could see no koppies in the distance. Shark I'll let you know. I'd really like to go riding but I have to get a new chain and sprocket. The mud completely destroyed the aluminium one on the back as it was already wearing. Unbelievable how wicked that mud was. There is some cool roads to check out near Donkerhoek too  :D
J.R.R Tolkien

shark_za

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 08:55:55 am »
From the railway, the klip is about 60km.
So no wonder you could not see it.
Its in a big depression itself, maybe 10km around, so you can only see it from about 2km away.
If you know where Jericho is, you are pretty close.

Mud chowed my bearings the other day, got a bad whine coming from the rear.
Hope they will last a few weeks till I get replacements.

But I wanna ride now, the progressive shocks seem to climb pavements a whole lot better, take the climb and not throw the wheel to the side, climbing them at an angle that is.
So it should track better on rough ground.

At the railway its the only round about you have too do, right, to the road, then left, left again back along the other side of the railway, then sort of 45% off right on the canal road again at the one intersection.
I can see how you missed it.
Like I said, GPS and I'll send you the track. Else ride with someone who has been there.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 12:58:24 pm »
Thanks Shark apreciate it. I was pretty much oncourse until I got to the tar road. I did take a left and found the canal again but I decided to turn around. We must make a plan to go ride, just need to get a new sprocket and chain. If you want to we can go on Saturday to Rhino and Donkerhoek my sprocket should last. Before I try the Canal again I need some new running gear.
J.R.R Tolkien