Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TANZANIA - bike service/spares places?  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Hamamelis

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
Re: TANZANIA - bike service/spares places?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 06:49:17 pm »
As a quick update, I have survived the interview process and now have a job offer. I am still working through visa and permits, but it looks like I should be in country by mid-July if all goes well.

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 09:28:18 am »
As a quick update, I have survived the interview process and now have a job offer. I am still working through visa and permits, but it looks like I should be in country by mid-July if all goes well.

Hope it all works out. Work permits take a while, Residence permit takes much longer. Two separate offices who apparently don't speak to each other. You can get a work permit and then expect the residence permit to follow within a day or three. Not so, could take a couple of months or more which gives them time to scam you out of the cost of a "special pass" $600!
Good luck anyway.
We have done lots of rides around Dodoma area so keep in touch and we'll plug you into our whatsapp group.

Steve
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline Hamamelis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 02:41:00 am »
Good to hear! Appreciate it.

The other tricky business I recently learned of will be that I cannot own my own vehicle per my work contract, and have to get approval by a higher-up. Based on precedent from other people I've talked to, I'll probably be able to say something like "hey I will buy this vehicle as a donation to the operation, for reasons to do with my individual business" and get it signed on.

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 05:25:55 am »
Good to hear! Appreciate it.

The other tricky business I recently learned of will be that I cannot own my own vehicle per my work contract, and have to get approval by a higher-up. Based on precedent from other people I've talked to, I'll probably be able to say something like "hey I will buy this vehicle as a donation to the operation, for reasons to do with my individual business" and get it signed on.
Pole sana

Sent from my TECNO Camon CX using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline Hamamelis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 09:20:35 pm »
Less than 2 months til I head to TZ - steve and roburt, if you know of anyone selling a bike in solid condition around a price point of $1.5-2k USD or about 3-5 million shillings (preferably a Honda and 250-400ccs) please keep me informed via message, because that is about what I can afford haha. Got my gear almost all together over here, just need a GPS unit and some tools/maintenance gear to come in the mail!

Offline roburt

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 12:46:34 pm »
Hi, only saw this now :-). Will keep an eye out for you, i myself just bought a  525 :-)
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200

The following users thanked this post: zebra - Flying Brick

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 04:36:44 pm »
Take care on a bike out there, we had a business there and our CEO's laaitie who was training to be a pilot got run off his bike a few times, the last time was very serious, he had to be airlifted to SA which cost something like R250k on a medical charter and can no longer fly because he doesn't have full use of his hands. No repercussions for the offender that knocked him down.

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 07:19:32 am »
I have an XR400 standing in Dar for sale. If you're interested I'll give you the contact for Denis where it's standing.
Less than 2 months til I head to TZ - steve and roburt, if you know of anyone selling a bike in solid condition around a price point of $1.5-2k USD or about 3-5 million shillings (preferably a Honda and 250-400ccs) please keep me informed via message, because that is about what I can afford haha. Got my gear almost all together over here, just need a GPS unit and some tools/maintenance gear to come in the mail!

Sent from my TECNO Camon CX using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline Hamamelis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 09:34:27 pm »
Apologies for the delay - am in Dodoma, got here on the 27th but was terribly jet lagged because of a late-night flight.  Finally getting near a healthy sleep schedule!

My visa is currently only a 3-month business visa - I want to give myself a tiny bit more time before I fully commit to a vehicle purchase, but as soon as I am sure my position here is stable, and figure out some odd little logistics (anyone know a good insurer around here? research on TZ business is hard and few wazungu I know in Dodoma own their own cars!) I think the 400 sounds good! Dodoma looks pretty bike-friendly really

Offline roburt

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 02:29:16 pm »
I use a company called trans africa insurance but not sure if they also in Dodoma. I suggest you also join the expat parents in dar and south africans living in dar facebook page and also ask in there.

xr400 is the perfect bike to tanzania
GSA 1150,KTM 690,KDX 200