Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The adventures of Captain Custard and I  (Read 1191 times)

Offline blauth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
Re: The adventures of Captain Custard and Me
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
Close up of the tail tidy please, and from underneath? Where from? Have a DRC on the 610 TE. Need one for the 510 TE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got it from OffRoad Cycles. Runner.

Will post some close ups later.
Thank you. Appreciate!

Later was  ummmm....much later, sorry.

Offline blauth

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 10:57:02 am »
You'll see that I fitted it between the subframe and the rear fender.  I did have to grind the sides down to clear the indicators which are in fact bolted onto the rear fender, not the tail tidy. There is also a little grove for the wire which I ground a notch into so the rear subframe could sit more flush.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 09:39:52 pm »
Appreciate the pics! I will chat to Runner and his team?

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, Husqvarna 510 TE, Suzuki DR 650 SE.

Offline blauth

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 05:37:49 pm »
Log Entry: Saturday 1st July, 2017.

I specifically wanted to test out the DRZ on my usual route to my dads place. This is fast jeep track next to the railways from the R21 to Rayton. This would give me a good reference of the bike because I've done this very often on all my other adv bikes. It's got a mix of very technical climbs near the old cement factory and the fast flowing stuff where long standing power slides are the order of the day. Specifically;
- I've done some servicing on the front suspension after Superfoxi gave me some tips (thanks Mike, your a champ!!  :thumleft:). My last ride, my forks were suffering from serious stiction and were very harsh.
- The carb floats were overflowing and the bowl was leaking too so some work was done to resolve those issues.
- I put some attackment points for bungees so I can put tools and tubes somewhere other than my back.

This is a very short analysis of the results:
- Stiction in the forks is no longer a problem (Mike,  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:) and this was with the clickers still with 5 clicks harder compression to go whereas previously my compression clickers were on their softest setting. It's not perfect yet but getting there. It still pushes a little, even with a D606 on the front but I run very hard tyre pressures to avoid impact punctures (1.5 bar). This D606 has an incredibly hard side wall too.
- The rear suspension is superb. It's plush and can take the big hits, griping properly even with the crap tyre I have on the rear.
- Carb.....ja well!!   :eek7:     Fuck, I am never buying a carb bike again. It's great now in the midrange and top end but the bottom end reaaaaaally sucks. I adjusted the float and I think I made its a little low now. It's lean now, at idle, the revs just climb on their own, willy nilly. It also runs on if you chop the throttle, especially if you don't pull the clutch in.
- Attachment points worked a treat. It was bliss not having all that weight on my back...

One thing I am very dissapointed with it the fuel consumption. It user 8l/100 on the way there. Look, I was canning it properly but on the way back, I chillaxed on dirt roads and rode slowly and it still turned around 6.7l/100km. Fuel consumption on this thing is pathetic!!!

Anyway, baby steps....and I still had a good ride.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:38:26 pm by blauth »

Offline blauth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 05:38:35 pm »

Offline blauth

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 05:40:10 pm »
some pics of the ultra simplistic attachment points for my accessories bag. Simply just a bunch of bolts sticking out.